The Student Room Group

switching degrees at uni?

i just want to know how difficult it is to switch your degree course whilst after starting uni if anyone has done it, and how long after you start uni would u be allowed to switch?

thanks.
Original post by mansnothot
i just want to know how difficult it is to switch your degree course whilst after starting uni if anyone has done it, and how long after you start uni would u be allowed to switch?

thanks.

If...
You meet the entry requirements (preferably exceed) for the course you want to switch to
There are spaces on the course you want to switch to
You put in your transfer request EARLY

and optionally
Your current course is somewhat similar to the course you want to switch to
You go to university in Scotland (The 4-year Scottish system makes things much more flexible)

then it's MUCH, MUCH easier to change courses. I changed from Electronics & CompSci to straight CompSci last year and it was a smooth transition.
when i went to nottingham on thursday a student said it is v possible if you are doing a similar course or something like that. aka if youre doing biology and want to switch to law it will be v hard however if youre doing a joint honours like french and law it would be easier to switch to law if you somehow did not enjoy the french side of the course. this being said i read somewhere it is near impossible to start a medicine course by switching because unis are not stupid and know it competitive or something idk i stopped reading at that point

hope this helps lol

Quick Reply