Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hiya,

I am a first year physics undergrad and I was wondering if I need anything other than a cover letter and a cv to apply for internships in the coming year. I would be very grateful if someone could please help me
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Another Person6)
    Hiya,

I am a first year physics undergrad and I was wondering if I need anything other than a cover letter and a cv to apply for internships in the coming year. I would be very grateful if someone could please help me
    Generally speaking, it will depend on the particular application process in question - in terms of things you'll need in advance though, a cover letter and a cv should be sufficient, though you may wish to know of two or more people you can use as references, as some companies request that during the initial application.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shadowdweller)
    Generally speaking, it will depend on the particular application process in question - in terms of things you'll need in advance though, a cover letter and a cv should be sufficient, though you may wish to know of two or more people you can use as references, as some companies request that during the initial application.
    Thank you so much @shadowdweller. I am actually a first year student so have next to no work experience and I only have my academic advisor as my referee. Does that mean that to realistically stand a chance of getting selected, I need to get a part time job first. Will a job at my local shops (aka. Sainsbury's) suffice? I would be very grateful if you could please answer my questions. Also, thanks again for your answer.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Another Person6)
    Thank you so much @shadowdweller. I am actually a first year student so have next to no work experience and I only have my academic advisor as my referee. Does that mean that to realistically stand a chance of getting selected, I need to get a part time job first. Will a job at my local shops (aka. Sainsbury's) suffice? I would be very grateful if you could please answer my questions. Also, thanks again for your answer.
    Personally I never had a part-time job before getting a placement, though I did have some voluntary work. You may be able to list a staff member from your sixth form or college as a reference, or only put down one; I'd have an explore and see what sort of things they're asking for. A part-time job isn't going to hurt, as additional experience is generally a good thing, but I don't think you need to have had one to stand a chance of getting selected!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 8, 2018

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.