Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    http://pmt.physicsandmathstutor.com/...hapter%206.pdf

I'm stuck on Exercise g, question 5, I don't understand why resolving in the x and y direction doesn't seem to work, but multiplying 5 by the sin of the angles does work?

Use control f and copy and paste in "Exercise g, question 5"

ReputationRep:
    Depends on how you did it using the x y method
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    It's a right angled triangle so using the trigonometric method is easy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Droneon)
    It's a right angled triangle so using the trigonometric method is easy
    I'm still confused, could you explain how you'd use the trig method here?

ReputationRep:
    Start by drawing a vector diagram. W acts downward, Ta is downward 40 degrees to the horizontal, Tb is upwards 50 degrees to the horizontal. That gives you a right angled triangle if you follow the rules of drawing a vector diagram (head to tail). The angles inside the triangle can be determined by subtraction from 90. That gives you a triangle with angles 40,50 and 90.
    Then use the sin rule opposite/hypotenuse, so sin 40=Ta/5 so Ta=5sin40. Same thing for Tb.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Droneon)
    Start by drawing a vector diagram. W acts downward, Ta is downward 40 degrees to the horizontal, Tb is upwards 50 degrees to the horizontal. That gives you a right angled triangle if you follow the rules of drawing a vector diagram (head to tail). The angles inside the triangle can be determined by subtraction from 90. That gives you a triangle with angles 40,50 and 90.
    Then use the sin rule opposite/hypotenuse, so sin 40=Ta/5 so Ta=5sin40. Same thing for Tb.
    I'm confused how the 5 is the hypotenuse and how Ta is opposite the 40 degrees angle. Isn't the side opposite the 40 degrees Tb and isn't the hypotenuse (AB) unknown? Have you made a different triangle to the APB triangle?

ReputationRep:
    No the hypotenuse is weight of P which is 5N.
    Tb acts to the right, upwards, and 50 degrees to the horizontal. And start Ta from where Tb ends, andTa acts to the left, upwards (my bad I said downwards before), and 40 degrees to the horizontal. And W which is 5 joins the head of Ta to the tail of Tb. So the angle between Ta and Tb is 90, between Tb and W is 40 (cuz 90-50), and between Ta and W is 50 (cuz 90-40). And so W is the hypotenuse side a and Ta and Tb are the sides b and c of the right angled triangle.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 24, 2018

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.