Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hello! i applied for illustration courses at university and after i got my offers back i ended up with two unconditional offers to my top two choices. I was so pleased until i realised that a lot of people i know got unconditional offers, and that’s made me think that maybe they’re handed out far more often than they used to. Both unconditional offers said i had got them for my academic potential and standard of my portfolio, but is it really just a way to ensure they get students? I’m still excited that i’ve got an unconditional offer for my top choice university, but it like it’s less of an achievement than it would have been 5 years ago.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by boarknight)
    hello! i applied for illustration courses at university and after i got my offers back i ended up with two unconditional offers to my top two choices. I was so pleased until i realised that a lot of people i know got unconditional offers, and that’s made me think that maybe they’re handed out far more often than they used to. Both unconditional offers said i had got them for my academic potential and standard of my portfolio, but is it really just a way to ensure they get students? I’m still excited that i’ve got an unconditional offer for my top choice university, but it like it’s less of an achievement than it would have been 5 years ago.
    Going to university and getting that degree is what matters most but yes there are more unconditionals than ever before and they are used as a marketing tool.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Unconditional offers that are handed out with arty farty marketing speak such as "academic potential" are just tools to get bums on seats. You ooze £9250 + government funding.

In your case, this doesn't count, but generally, they are given to persuade the applicant to firm them when originally it wasn't even the applicant's top choice. It's just preying on A-Level stress etc.

ReputationRep:
    Why do you care if you got one anyway?

ReputationRep:
    Yeh they are sort of handed out a lot more often (Especially at ex polytechnics universities and some Russel Groups)... However! They will only give unconditional offers out if they really like your application and are worried you won’t pick them. They have no idea where your 1st choice is? And if they feel like your application is strong enough to get a place at a ‘better uni’ they will want to entice you more! You should be excited that you got unconditional offers as it is still an achievement but bare in mind that it is to try and sway your uni choice. You are in the lucky position that the uni you really want to go to gave you an uncon, so be happy! The pressure is off! But don’t become too complacent with your ALevels

ReputationRep:
    Think of yourself as the footballer Ronaldo who is wanted by Man City, Man Utd and Chelsea. One of them has to offer something that the other teams don't to get Ronaldo to sign for them.

You've been lucky enough that 2 unis you want to go to really want you. Ignore the doom & gloom brigade. Not everybody gets unconditionals and when they do it is generally from the lower ranked unis. It is a positive thing.

ReputationRep:
    thank you for all of your opinions! i’m very lucky to get offers and sometimes i can get caught up on a negative thought when i shouldn’t.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Why does it matter? Uni admissions have changed a lot in the last 5-10 years, but you're not applying 5-10 years ago, you're applying now. Yes, unconditional offers are a marketing tool these days, but if you've got one from your top choice, don't cut your nose off to spite your face.

I don't think your unconditional is worthless. If it's a marketing tool, just remember that it means they really really want you at their university.

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.