Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm aware LSE would have to leave the university of London. But if they acquired a few extra facilities in the middle of both schools then why not combine? They would have world leading research, which would increase their funding. By expanding the student numbers they could also gain more money. While they may never catch Oxbridge's prestige by rite of history, they may still surpass them, a bit like MIT to Harvard. It would also provide Britain with a genuine world class, top level institution, higher than the already high levels they're at.

Or is this just a load of unnecessary rubbish?
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by GapYaar)
    I'm aware LSE would have to leave the university of London. But if they acquired a few extra facilities in the middle of both schools then why not combine? They would have world leading research, which would increase their funding. By expanding the student numbers they could also gain more money. While they may never catch Oxbridge's prestige by rite of history, they may still surpass them, a bit like MIT to Harvard. It would also provide Britain with a genuine world class, top level institution, higher than the already high levels they're at.

UCL and Imperial considered merging in the early 2000s. But the staff were against it.

https://www.theguardian.com/educatio...y_to_clipboard

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Apart from the business school part of Imperial, there's almost no overlap between what these two universities do so I'm not sure what would be gained from merging.

Geographically, they're not particularly close within London so there wouldn't be much benefit to sharing facilities - and as for finding things in the middle, I can't see anyone wanting to build a campus extension in Mayfair! :lol:

ReputationRep:
    They cover different areas. What would either of them really add to the other?

ReputationRep:
    What would they call it?

LSE Imperial might?

Not sure how it would honestly work.

A little friendly competition helps between unis bigger isnt always better.

ReputationRep:
    Damn, interesting

(Original post by Doonesbury)
    UCL and Imperial considered merging in the early 2000s. But the staff were against it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jameswhughes)
    Apart from the business school part of Imperial, there's almost no overlap between what these two universities do so I'm not sure what would be gained from merging.

Geographically, they're not particularly close within London so there wouldn't be much benefit to sharing facilities - and as for finding things in the middle, I can't see anyone wanting to build a campus extension in Mayfair! :lol:
    Yeh but that's the point, there's no overlap. You'd just form one comprehensive university, with very high standards, I guess it gives students and academics a greater choice. Oxbridge has had no domestic challenges for a millennium, competition might raise everyone's standards.
    True the location may be an issue, but you know the deal when you go to a London uni anyway.

ReputationRep:

The merging of top universities, would no doubt create an academic powerhouse, call it LSE-ICL, KCL-UCL, D'hm-W'ck. It's just not necessary, since the institutions are independently performing exceptionally, there's no major benefit. Admissions may become more rigorous, straining an amalgamated uni, funding wouldn't uplift existing research facilities since a larger uni would no doubt mandate extra expenses. In terms of 'world-class academia', any of the elites could achieve this status solitarily through proper development of facilities, higher employment of field-leading staff and revolutionary research output - And they are all progressing, it's just that same are developing at a faster rate than others.

ReputationRep:
    ;.

ReputationRep:
    Unnecessary

ReputationRep:
    Yeh but that's the point, there's no overlap. You'd just form one comprehensive university, with very high standards, I guess it gives students and academics a greater choice. Oxbridge has had no domestic challenges for a millennium, competition might raise everyone's standards.
    True the location may be an issue, but you know the deal when you go to a London uni anyway.
    I don't see how your plan would really be a merging in anything other than name. Would it not just lead to a university with two completely independent campuses for different groups of subjects? For example, a Holborn campus for economics/law/history etc. and South Kensington/Hammersmith for science and medicine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Strange. Imperial is far better at sciences.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 14, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.