Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unown Uzer)
    Mr Speaker,

Taiwan is a province of the People's Republic of China. We have no businesses to be intervening in the internal affairs of the People's Republic of China by encouraging Taiwanese independence.
    Taiwan is a province of the Republic of China. The rebellious provinces that have called themselves the "People's Republic of China" are simply provinces of the Republic of China.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unown Uzer)
    The 1992 Consensus adheres to the "One China principle". There is no separate sovereign state of "Taiwan", as it is a province of China. The People's Republic of China has simply allowed an alternate form of governance for the province of Taiwan.

By the way, the People's Republic of China was founded in 1949.
    According to the 1992 Consensus, there is only "one China", and that China could be the Republic of China from Taipei ruling all of Taiwan, mainland China, Hong Kong, Macau, and parts of Mongolia as well as other occupied territories.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mr T 999)
    Mr Speaker

We should not be condemning China it will ruin our relations with them. China are the UK's 4th largest importers and 8th largest for exports. I agree with Rakas that they have too much leveraged over us. A Nay from me.
    Actually, what China has been doing to people who are close to Taiwan is by bribing them. So the best strategy for us is to keep a vague relationship with both, acting as if we're moving closer to Taiwan to expect more Chinese free money to come in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Connor27)
    Yes, because that’s clearly the only concern here, isn’t it? Let’s just forget the innocent country that is having isolationism forced upon it and do whatever China wants...
    Taiwan is hardly isolationist. We can trade and invest with them all we like.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    I invite wolfmoon88 to comment.

ReputationRep:
    Nay. An embassy is essentially informally recognising sovereignty. While I'd probably like Taiwan to be sovereign on balance, it's not our decision to make.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    Nay. An embassy is essentially informally recognising sovereignty. While I'd probably like Taiwan to be sovereign on balance, it's not our decision to make.
    I again find myself agreeing with you TDA.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Division!

Clear the lobbies!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 27, 2018
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.