Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Many 16 year olds can be easily influenced by their teachers/parents.

If the voting age gets lowered, then why not lower it to 14.. then 12.. then 10... (see where I am going)

ReputationRep:
    I’m 16 next month and I think the voting age should remain at 18. Most 16 year olds don’t care about politics or even want it to be lowered so why are so many adults pushing for it. I’m quite interested in politics but most people my age are not and they really don’t care. As I said there’s no point, leave it 18.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cod3tte)
    I think it should. After all, the youth is the future of this country, we should have a say in our future rather than letting everyone else decide it for us.

What is your opinion and why?
    One argument could be if you can join the Army / forces at age 16 then it seems logical to be able to vote at 16 (in relation to ones rights and being able to die for your country etc etc)

However the thorn in the side is that the naivety and biases of young people in their knowledge of politics would tilt the balance of logic in an election which could be an issue depending on what country it is - in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    No way. I don't agree with much that has been said here (like 16-year-olds being unable to think logically and critically or not caring about politics. When I was 16 I was discussing historical materialism and the unrealistic nature of old-school Marxism with my mother, and there are 30-year-olds without A-levels less educated than 16-year old A* students), but because 16-year-olds are children. I was intelligent at 16, but I was still a child in every way, shape and form. Children shouldn't be allowed to vote.

ReputationRep:
    I think 17 would be a reasonable age. But at 16, even though many of us at school showed an interest in politics and voting, many other people were oblivious to it all and probably wouldn't vote properly, understand the importance or would be easily influenced by others.

ReputationRep:
    Na, reckon it should be lowered to 8 personally.

ReputationRep:
    No, I don't think they should get the vote as they have many benefits eg. anonymity when they do crimes that would need to be taken away. If they think they are adult enough to vote to change what happens in the country then they should be treated like adults in everyday life even if it doesn't benefit them.

ReputationRep:
    No. There is a clear reason why the voting age is at where it is right now.

As a 16 year old let me explain.

At the age of 16 we are still living with our parents, so that already means there's a good chance of influence playing role in this. As much as you say "no we won't be influenced", it is the truth. Much of the mindset of 16 year olds is decided by how their parents grew them up.

Also as someone already mentioned it, at this age we still cling onto the idea that the headline of a newspaper is all that we need as information.

Also, teenagers in today's world (including me) and about 95% other teenagers think that they know 95% regarding an issue, even when they have only read 5% of the information. This leads to them in a "know-it-all" mindset and it leads to them making wrong decisions.

They may be young adults, but they are still not adults, and to vote, you should be an adult.

The reason politicians go for a lower voting age is because they can then expand their manifesto and simply get more votes.

Probably explains why some Labour people go for this, since they can get votes from students who think they are simply going to decrease the tuition fee but if u ask that question to someone who is right now eligeble for voting, they know that decreasing tuition fees comes with more tax and etc, and the average teenager probably won't have thought that through.

ReputationRep:
    The fact that the 18-24 age demographic votes the least already, I don't see why lowering the voting age would do other than get a few more votes for labour because lets face it that's why people are pushing for it. I also don't believe people at the age of 16 really look into to it enough to make it worth it

ReputationRep:
    Hi, personally I don’t think the voting age should be lowered to 16. Although at that age you are old enough to understand politics and voting, you are also much more susceptible to being encouraged to vote in a specific way due to naivety and lack of experience. You also change your mind and attitudes considerably in your teens.

ReputationRep:
    I think the Welsh Assembly are making it 16, I was interviewed about it :cool: (It was only S4C )

You can get a job and pay tax at 16 so you're contributing to society, so you should get a vote to influence it, that's my personal view. Getting people involved in politics at a younger age should improve participation as they age. I also think there should be some kind of "Citizenship" subject in schools where you learn about things outside the curriculum like politics, tax etc

(Original post by TrelaiBoy)
    I think the Welsh Assembly are making it 16, I was interviewed about it :cool: (It was only S4C )

You can get a job and pay tax at 16 so you're contributing to society, so you should get a vote to influence it, that's my personal view. Getting people involved in politics at a younger age should improve participation as they age. I also think there should be some kind of "Citizenship" subject in schools where you learn about things outside the curriculum like politics, tax etc
    You can get a job before the age of 16, although there are limits to how much you can work and not during school hours etc. They don't typically pay tax as they won't earn past their personal allowance. But almost anything can they spend their earned money on will be taxed through VAT.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EierVonSatan)
    You can get a job before the age of 16, although there are limits to how much you can work and not during school hours etc. They don't typically pay tax as they won't earn past their personal allowance. But almost anything can they spend their earned money on will be taxed through VAT.
    You can still leave school and get a job at 16

I think the fact that there's different ages for different things is stupid, i.e. sex at 16, driving at 17, drink at 18. It should all be at one age
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I think 18 is the perfect age for people to be able to vote tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Only if everything else is lowered to 16 like the drinking and driving age etc.
    • Aston Villa FC Supporter
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa FC Supporter
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by TrelaiBoy)
    You can still leave school and get a job at 16

I think the fact that there's different ages for different things is stupid, i.e. sex at 16, driving at 17, drink at 18. It should all be at one age
    Not precisely true. You must be in some form of education until you turn 18, and if you go into employment or training, you still need to be receiving part time employment. Since apprenticeships count as education that works too although you won’t be earning enough to be taxed on it most likely.
    I have said this elsewhere but I believe it could end up being a slippery slope of wanting to reduce the voting age. Voting comes at an age of formal responsibility, i.e at the age of 18, and should stay that way. There are far better ways to raise issues than simply voting for a party anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cod3tte)
    I think it should. After all, the youth is the future of this country, we should have a say in our future rather than letting everyone else decide it for us.

What is your opinion and why?
    Not without compulsory political education the whole way through education, starting in primary school. And no, I don’t mean the prime minister being mentioned once in form time and never again (ugh, bad memories of people asking “who’s that?” at a picture of Theresa May aside...)

16 year olds are very different. I know some with full time jobs and some who let their parents decide all their A-levels for them because they had that little independence. Many people would be old enough but I feel like others would be far too influenced by the opinions of their parents.

Mostly I agree with what an above poster has said: if 16-17 year olds cared enough they’d be protesting for it - otherwise it would just be a political move to benefit certain parties. If better education was in place I would perhaps feel differently

ReputationRep:
    I think so.

They can sign up to the electoral roll but can’t vote. This doesn’t make sense.

I commonly hear that they are not mature enough. How is maturity even measured? A person does not suddenly become mature at 18 anyway. Also given that you can have sex, join the army, get married etc at 16 this argument doesn’t really make sense. Also 16 years olds can vote in in Scotland (not in general elections, I know).

They are not politically aware. You’ll be surprised by how many that actually are. It’s easier than ever to keep up to date with the news. Even if 16 year olds aren’t, lowering the voting age would push schools to educate pupils on current affairs and politics and would make young people get involved in politics at a younger age. Once again at 18 you don’t suddenly understand politics.

They are still living with their parents/ reliant on them. And 18 year olds aren’t? Many people live at home when they start uni or at least receive from money from their parents.

ReputationRep:
    I think if the voting age was lowered to 16 the recent votes would have had a different outcome but people saying the 16 year olds don’t understand/ can be influenced this is the same for Some 18yo, I know during the last election peaking to many of my friends and colleagues they didn’t really know who/what they were voting for an my parents still don’t understand 100% (they don’t follow politics) but they try to make a decision but they are often influenced by others or single policy ideas. Most recently this would be related to university funding due to it affecting me/their future.

But when I was at school some of the 14/15yo were more knowledgeable over this stuff than those who could vote so if it was lowered then I don’t know how much different the results would be but 16yo would be able to make an impact on their future on topics that affect them

ReputationRep:
    I mean I’m mature enough to vote but so many other 16 year olds definitely aren’t- either lower the voting age or increase the army age.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.