Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Where I’m going to study have listed either that or Core Maths as a requirement, alongside 3 A levels.

My A levels are Bio, Chem and English Lang. ‘Writing’ subjects do come naturally to me, whereas more technical ones with calculations I have to work a bit at.

Aiming to go into Medicine so obviously I want 3 As minimum... feel like EPQ will be a bit of a hassle and I’ve heard mixed comments about it. Will it benefit me and my application or do I wriggle myself out of it prior to Sept?

ReputationRep:
    A lot of hassle! My advice would be to drop it while you still can, as most places would prefer 3 exceptional grades (such as the 3A's you're hoping for) instead of 3 average grades and the EPQ. It takes away your valuable study time when you need to revise and doesn't overly help once you're at uni!

ReputationRep:
    Epq isn’t really valuable when it comes to medicine? But if you want a related topic you could do it on the four humours, cure for cancer, technology in medicine or something
    You’re better off with maths
    A lot of people applying for med have it along with bio& chem
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    If essay based subjects come naturally to you then why are you doing Medicine? Just a thought that came to me when I read your post. Surely your skills are going to be better suited in a humanities based field.

But anyway, it depends. It is a blessing for me because many universities I have applied to have given me a lower offer granted I get an A or a B in my EPQ. For you however it will depend if the universities you are interested in include it in their offer and the subject pages will say whether they do or not. I would have also thought that the EPQ may give a slight edge for a area as competitive as Medicine.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I found the EPQ really helpful. I do a psychology based degree so writing the report helped me gain a lot of skills which have made my assignments easier. I got A*AB at A-Level and A in EPQ.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ethistu7)
    Where I’m going to study have listed either that or Core Maths as a requirement, alongside 3 A levels.

My A levels are Bio, Chem and English Lang. ‘Writing’ subjects do come naturally to me, whereas more technical ones with calculations I have to work a bit at.

Aiming to go into Medicine so obviously I want 3 As minimum... feel like EPQ will be a bit of a hassle and I’ve heard mixed comments about it. Will it benefit me and my application or do I wriggle myself out of it prior to Sept?
    Honestly it probably won't be of any benefit unless you're asked about it in interview (I wasn't though). However, I don't do essay subjects so I enjoyed it as it allowed me to develop report writing skills and I genuinely enjoyed the topic I did so I guess it was kind of relaxing for me

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.