Turn on thread page Beta

Can you be in love with someone you never dated? Discuss watch

Is it possible to be in love with someone or to have loved someone you never actually dated/kissed?
    For instance I had a massive crush on my room-mate a couple of years ago and I think he might have felt the same way about me. We both acted coupley (snuggling on the sofa/in bed, arm around my waist at parties etc.) but neither of us pursued it because we lived together with 3 other people. We never even kissed. Only when he moved away for work did I realise that I was in love with him (well a few months before hand but whatever...)

So:
    Do you think I was in love? Can you be in love with someone you never dated/were physically intimate with? How do you know if you are in love with someone?
    And for **extra points**, do you think he liked me?

Any personal experiences of a similar nature that you guys wouldn't mind sharing would be really useful!
    Thanks, from a heartbroken loser X

:bump:

I think you can, personally I got really close to someone and felt like I may have loved them. We never dated or anything but we talked a lot, about anything and I realized too late that I did like/potentially love him.
    I feel like you'll just know when you're in love-hence the reason I believe I loved him.

It's entirely possible to love someone you were never in a relationship with, so long as you got the chance to know them and be around them, which you were.

I can't say whether you were in love or not - that's really for you to decide, but if you feel you were then you were I think.

I too liked a guy I got to know and I loved hin. He was kinda flirty with me, and others thought he liked me but he ended up going for another girl. I remember feeling embarrassed when he started going after this other girl as people thought we'd broken up (when we'd never dated lol) and this girl had a boyfriend she wouldn't break up with for him anyway. (She did cheat on her bf with him tho). It was hard seeing it happen as I couldn't get away from the situation (we were all part of an athletics club so I couldn't just ignore the situation like I could have done at school).

Back to your situation, if he was being affectionate with you, he definitely liked you on some level. Whether it was enough to want to be with you I can't know. Is it possible for you to get into contact with him tho? It's better than wondering what if.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 24, 2018
Poll
Favourite type of bread

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.