Turn on thread page Beta

SQA National 5 English & Drama watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone!

English

I am in S4 and having recently 8 As in my prelims, I will be sitting the final exams. However, I didn't perform particularly well on the English close reading paper, despite the fact that I learnt all question types and sentence structures, completed some past papers and regularly reading news articles, which wasn’t a problem as I am generally interested in politics and international relations. I feel hopeless at this component and I was wondering if anyone had any advice to improve on this result (barely a pass, did particularly well on the other paper though)?

Drama

In addition to this, I will be acting for my final performance exam in Drama next month and I am unsure of how to prepare for this. I also feel less confident and comfortable in the subject, although I have enjoyed it since S1 and I got the highest grade in the year - as a result, I feel like this is holding me back from properly portraying my character which will, therefore, leading me to not achieving the best result that I possibly can. Does anyone have advice on this matter?

Many thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    For English, I'm in the same boat as you, I got full marks on my practise Close Reading papers, but I didn't perform as well as I wanted in the prelim. I'm going to be practising it more and asking my teacher where I went wrong, I thought I did fairly well on the cassette one but apparently not :/

ReputationRep:
    I think the main problem with the Cassete Tapes article was that it was quite different to what we were expecting. I got 29/30 but I think a lot of people were phased at how much needed to be rephrased, people I've spoken to have said that the questions and answers felt very repetitive. This may have phased them. It also seemed like an odd choice to pick an American article when the real thing is almost always from a Scottish newspaper. A (worryingly) high amount of people didn't even know what a cassette was so you can't have done too bad. One boy in the year wrote about castonettes!

Don't worry too much about RUAE, just read through carefully and think logically. Also try to treat it like you are arguing your point to the examiner (as you are interested in politics, I assume you have debating skills) and use quotations from the passage as evidence to back up what you are saying.

I can't help you much for Drama but just don't be too worried. Unless you are taking it on for Higher then it doesn't really matter anyway!

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Applying to university
Uni match

Find your perfect match

Our tool will help you find the perfect uni course for you

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.