The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

What are your criteria that denote a city's global status? Just cranes? Or any other indicators?
Reply 2
Original post by DrSocSciences
What are your criteria that denote a city's global status? Just cranes? Or any other indicators?

Sorry I didn't make it clear enough a global city like when everyone around the world know it just like everyone knows London if you get what I mean.
Original post by Agent456
Sorry I didn't make it clear enough a global city like when everyone around the world know it just like everyone knows London if you get what I mean.

By that definition, everyone already does when you mention Manchester United.
Eh, not really. I live in the center of Manchester and whilst it's definitely expanding etc., it's still very much got that smaller city feel to it. It's not the capital, it's not the financial hub, and it's in the dreary North West. It's never going to be mentioned in the same breath as London, Paris, Tokyo, etc.
Reply 5

believe it or not more people know manchester more than we think
Reply 6
Original post by seismic cat

So everyone in the world knows Manchester?
Reply 7
Original post by PlayWithMarkers
Eh, not really. I live in the center of Manchester and whilst it's definitely expanding etc., it's still very much got that smaller city feel to it. It's not the capital, it's not the financial hub, and it's in the dreary North West. It's never going to be mentioned in the same breath as London, Paris, Tokyo, etc.

Still though it is a very nice city I last went to Manchester like 2 weeks ago.
I mean look at all the cranes dominating the skyline. I think Manchester is heading its way to becoming a global city like London.

You think wrong.
Still though it is a very nice city I last went to Manchester like 2 weeks ago.

Oh I love the city, I do, but I love it because it's not like London etc. At the end of the day not many people would be able to name the second-biggest city in some other countries, I mean does France really have a 'global city' other than Paris? Does Japan? Manchester isn't even the second biggest city in England, Birmingham is substantially bigger.
Reply 10
Don't forget Manchester United and Manchester city football clubs which are world wide known
Reply 11
Oh I love the city, I do, but I love it because it's not like London etc. At the end of the day not many people would be able to name the second-biggest city in some other countries, I mean does France really have a 'global city' other than Paris? Does Japan? Manchester isn't even the second biggest city in England, Birmingham is substantially bigger.

I think Manchester is more popular than Birmi outside of UK.
Reply 12
Original post by Heyok

Yeah true, because of Manchester united and Manchester City clubs
Original post by Heyok

It is, but as people say, that's primarily because of the football (and Birmingham being fairly horrible, in my opinion, but heyho) but that's not enough to make it a global city. London, Tokyo etc. are centers of fashion, banking, culture, etc. etc. stuff that Manchester as a quite small city is naturally going to be disadvantaged in.
Reply 14
It is, but as people say, that's primarily because of the football (and Birmingham being fairly horrible, in my opinion, but heyho) but that's not enough to make it a global city. London, Tokyo etc. are centers of fashion, banking, culture, etc. etc. stuff that Manchester as a quite small city is naturally going to be disadvantaged in.

People from Manchester will probably agree that they want their city to stay how it is. Rather than going over priced and strugguling to pay the rent like in many parts of London or any global city around the world.
Original post by DrSocSciences

Underrated comment.
Original post by seismic cat

I swear! My Maths tutor always says Manchester United instead of Manchester University :tongue:
Yes I definitely think Manchester is becoming global to the point where Drake even made a song about it "Gyalchester"
lolno

London is the only "global" city Britain has.

I much prefer Edinburgh, though.
Manchester to me seems the second city culturally if not in population. Well known to large parts of the world because of the football team that takes its name but plays outside the city.

Latest