Do you think Manchester is starting to become a global city like London? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Agent456
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I mean look at all the cranes dominating the skyline. I think Manchester is heading its way to becoming a global city like London.
DrSocSciences
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What are your criteria that denote a city's global status? Just cranes? Or any other indicators?
Agent456
Rep:
?
(Original post by DrSocSciences)
What are your criteria that denote a city's global status? Just cranes? Or any other indicators?
Sorry I didn't make it clear enough a global city like when everyone around the world know it just like everyone knows London if you get what I mean.
seismic cat
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Agent456)
Sorry I didn't make it clear enough a global city like when everyone around the world know it just like everyone knows London if you get what I mean.
By that definition, everyone already does when you mention Manchester United.
PlayWithMarkers
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Eh, not really. I live in the center of Manchester and whilst it's definitely expanding etc., it's still very much got that smaller city feel to it. It's not the capital, it's not the financial hub, and it's in the dreary North West. It's never going to be mentioned in the same breath as London, Paris, Tokyo, etc.
Alumna
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
believe it or not more people know manchester more than we think
Agent456
Rep:
?
(Original post by seismic cat)
So everyone in the world knows Manchester?
Agent456
Rep:
?
(Original post by PlayWithMarkers)
Eh, not really. I live in the center of Manchester and whilst it's definitely expanding etc., it's still very much got that smaller city feel to it. It's not the capital, it's not the financial hub, and it's in the dreary North West. It's never going to be mentioned in the same breath as London, Paris, Tokyo, etc.
Still though it is a very nice city I last went to Manchester like 2 weeks ago.
999tigger
Report 1 year ago
I mean look at all the cranes dominating the skyline. I think Manchester is heading its way to becoming a global city like London.
You think wrong.
PlayWithMarkers
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Still though it is a very nice city I last went to Manchester like 2 weeks ago.
Oh I love the city, I do, but I love it because it's not like London etc. At the end of the day not many people would be able to name the second-biggest city in some other countries, I mean does France really have a 'global city' other than Paris? Does Japan? Manchester isn't even the second biggest city in England, Birmingham is substantially bigger.
Agent456
Rep:
?
Don't forget Manchester United and Manchester city football clubs which are world wide known
Heyok
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Oh I love the city, I do, but I love it because it's not like London etc. At the end of the day not many people would be able to name the second-biggest city in some other countries, I mean does France really have a 'global city' other than Paris? Does Japan? Manchester isn't even the second biggest city in England, Birmingham is substantially bigger.
I think Manchester is more popular than Birmi outside of UK.
Agent456
Rep:
?
(Original post by Heyok)
Yeah true, because of Manchester united and Manchester City clubs
PlayWithMarkers
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Heyok)
It is, but as people say, that's primarily because of the football (and Birmingham being fairly horrible, in my opinion, but heyho) but that's not enough to make it a global city. London, Tokyo etc. are centers of fashion, banking, culture, etc. etc. stuff that Manchester as a quite small city is naturally going to be disadvantaged in.
Heyok
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It is, but as people say, that's primarily because of the football (and Birmingham being fairly horrible, in my opinion, but heyho) but that's not enough to make it a global city. London, Tokyo etc. are centers of fashion, banking, culture, etc. etc. stuff that Manchester as a quite small city is naturally going to be disadvantaged in.
People from Manchester will probably agree that they want their city to stay how it is. Rather than going over priced and strugguling to pay the rent like in many parts of London or any global city around the world.
username2752874
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by DrSocSciences)
Underrated comment.
Rohit_Rocks10
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by seismic cat)
I swear! My Maths tutor always says Manchester United instead of Manchester University
squirrology
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yes I definitely think Manchester is becoming global to the point where Drake even made a song about it "Gyalchester"
TCA2b
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
lolno

London is the only "global" city Britain has.

I much prefer Edinburgh, though.
username2965904
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Manchester to me seems the second city culturally if not in population. Well known to large parts of the world because of the football team that takes its name but plays outside the city.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you registered to vote?

18-20 years old (yes) (135)
54%
18-20 years old (no) (30)
12%
20-25 years old (yes) (39)
15.6%
20-25 years old (no) (4)
1.6%
25-30 years old (yes) (18)
7.2%
25-30 years old (no) (0)
0%
30-40 years old (yes) (12)
4.8%
30-40 years old (no) (1)
0.4%
40+ years old (yes) (5)
2%
40+ years old (no) (6)
2.4%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

Oops, nobody has posted
in the last few hours.

Why not re-start the conversation?

Start new discussion

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise