Turn on thread page Beta

Do you think Manchester is starting to become a global city like London? watch

ReputationRep:
    I mean look at all the cranes dominating the skyline. I think Manchester is heading its way to becoming a global city like London.

ReputationRep:
    What are your criteria that denote a city's global status? Just cranes? Or any other indicators?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrSocSciences)
    What are your criteria that denote a city's global status? Just cranes? Or any other indicators?
    Sorry I didn't make it clear enough a global city like when everyone around the world know it just like everyone knows London if you get what I mean.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Agent456)
    Sorry I didn't make it clear enough a global city like when everyone around the world know it just like everyone knows London if you get what I mean.
    By that definition, everyone already does when you mention Manchester United.

ReputationRep:
    Eh, not really. I live in the center of Manchester and whilst it's definitely expanding etc., it's still very much got that smaller city feel to it. It's not the capital, it's not the financial hub, and it's in the dreary North West. It's never going to be mentioned in the same breath as London, Paris, Tokyo, etc.

ReputationRep:
    believe it or not more people know manchester more than we think

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seismic cat)
    So everyone in the world knows Manchester?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PlayWithMarkers)
    Eh, not really. I live in the center of Manchester and whilst it's definitely expanding etc., it's still very much got that smaller city feel to it. It's not the capital, it's not the financial hub, and it's in the dreary North West. It's never going to be mentioned in the same breath as London, Paris, Tokyo, etc.
    Still though it is a very nice city I last went to Manchester like 2 weeks ago.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    I mean look at all the cranes dominating the skyline. I think Manchester is heading its way to becoming a global city like London.
    You think wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Still though it is a very nice city I last went to Manchester like 2 weeks ago.
    Oh I love the city, I do, but I love it because it's not like London etc. At the end of the day not many people would be able to name the second-biggest city in some other countries, I mean does France really have a 'global city' other than Paris? Does Japan? Manchester isn't even the second biggest city in England, Birmingham is substantially bigger.

ReputationRep:
    Don't forget Manchester United and Manchester city football clubs which are world wide known

ReputationRep:
    Oh I love the city, I do, but I love it because it's not like London etc. At the end of the day not many people would be able to name the second-biggest city in some other countries, I mean does France really have a 'global city' other than Paris? Does Japan? Manchester isn't even the second biggest city in England, Birmingham is substantially bigger.
    I think Manchester is more popular than Birmi outside of UK.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Heyok)
    Yeah true, because of Manchester united and Manchester City clubs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Heyok)
    It is, but as people say, that's primarily because of the football (and Birmingham being fairly horrible, in my opinion, but heyho) but that's not enough to make it a global city. London, Tokyo etc. are centers of fashion, banking, culture, etc. etc. stuff that Manchester as a quite small city is naturally going to be disadvantaged in.

ReputationRep:
    It is, but as people say, that's primarily because of the football (and Birmingham being fairly horrible, in my opinion, but heyho) but that's not enough to make it a global city. London, Tokyo etc. are centers of fashion, banking, culture, etc. etc. stuff that Manchester as a quite small city is naturally going to be disadvantaged in.
    People from Manchester will probably agree that they want their city to stay how it is. Rather than going over priced and strugguling to pay the rent like in many parts of London or any global city around the world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrSocSciences)
    Underrated comment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seismic cat)
    I swear! My Maths tutor always says Manchester United instead of Manchester University
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    Yes I definitely think Manchester is becoming global to the point where Drake even made a song about it "Gyalchester"

ReputationRep:
    lolno

London is the only "global" city Britain has.

I much prefer Edinburgh, though.

ReputationRep:
    Manchester to me seems the second city culturally if not in population. Well known to large parts of the world because of the football team that takes its name but plays outside the city.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.