Turn on thread page Beta

Do you think Manchester is starting to become a global city like London? watch

ReputationRep:
    HAHAHAHA.

Manchester isn't a global city like London. It doesn't even come close to London in terms of what it has to offer. You can explore Manchester in a weekend.

ReputationRep:
    manchester was a pretty well known during like the end of the industrial revolution. it just sorta declined after the 19th century

ReputationRep:
    If the argument is based on football or sport then the second city is easily Glasgow.

(Original post by KingHarold)
    Manchester to me seems the second city culturally if not in population. Well known to large parts of the world because of the football team that takes its name but plays outside the city.
    na

ReputationRep:
    Can't say everywhere, but would say countries where there is an interest in football

(Original post by Agent456)
    So everyone in the world knows Manchester?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingHarold)
    Manchester to me seems the second city culturally if not in population. Well known to large parts of the world because of the football team that takes its name but plays outside the city.
    I like the city, but frankly it's nothing special. London is of course the name everyone associates with Britain, and any one of Edinburgh, Bath or York (or nearby Harrogate) are much nicer tourist destinations. Edinburgh is closer to what Britain has to a "second" big name city - it is indeed very well known outside the UK, and it has a nicely developed cultural scene - but again, they're still not comparable in scale.

I agree, though, that despite Birmingham being the biggest city, Manchester is probably better known outside of the UK than it is.

When I think "global" city, I mostly have so-called "alpha" cities in mind.

ReputationRep:
    I would be very ashamed of this country if Manchester represents us as a 'global city' - a poster of the nation.

Heroin land with tents in city parks and rough sleepers making the city centre an obstacle course of coats and bags. Good God.

Skyscrapers is not exactly a good measurement of 'global city' because

A) London dominates the top 50 tallest skyscrapers in the UK. There's two in Manchester, two in Leeds, one in Birmingham, one in Portsmouth and one in Southampton.
    B) Plenty of cities are mostly skyscraper-based but are not remotely a 'global city'.

Benidorm is a prime example of a mostly skyscraper city that is not remotely important to the world and not known outside of travel agents for poor people in Germany and Britain.

The tallest building in the European Union is in Warsaw, Poland. Global city? Not really.
    7 of the top 10 tallest buildings in Europe are in Moscow. Global city? Not really.

ReputationRep:
    Britain's second biggest city by a variety of factors is a spot easily taken by Edinburgh. England-wise, it would probably be Manchester, but only because we have **** all else to offer as a country.

Let's not talk about that Birmingham place. Should be our Bielefeld. Wait who?

Would probably be Bristol (by culture), Nottingham (by balance of factors) or Southampton (by earnings/economic importance) if they were bigger, or Leeds if they were further away from the West Yorkshire cluster**** that makes them look worse than they are.

Bristol being our sort of Boston/Vienna, Nottingham our Lyon/Munich and Southampton our Hamburg/Rotterdam.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 25, 2018
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.