Turn on thread page Beta

Degree classification watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi how do I calculate my degree classification?
    In second year there were three 30 credit modules and two 15 credit modules weighted at 33%.
    In year 3 there are two 30 credit modules and four 15 credit modules weighted at 67%
    Id rather keep my marks private, I just want to know how to calculate my potential degree classification.-If you want to use my marks to work it out feel free to drop me a message
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by atomickitten)
    Hi how do I calculate my degree classification?
    In second year there were three 30 credit modules and two 15 credit modules weighted at 33%.
    In year 3 there are two 30 credit modules and four 15 credit modules weighted at 67%
    Id rather keep my marks private, I just want to know how to calculate my potential degree classification.-If you want to use my marks to work it out feel free to drop me a message
    Obtain weighted averages for each year (based on credits) then obtain a weighted average (based on weight of year).

For example, your second year had 120 credits, so each 30 credit unit is worth 25% and 15 credits are 12.5% each.

Let's say you got 76, 60, 60 in your 30 credit units and 64, 64 in your 15 credit units.

Then your overall grade for second year is  (76 \times 0.25) + ( 60\times 0.25)+ ( 60 \times 0.25 ) + (64 \times 0.125) + (64 \times 0.125)

= 19 + 15 + 15 + 8 + 8 = 65.

Now for your overall grade, the weightings are 33 and 67 so if you wanted 60 overall then you'd need 65*0.33 + x*0.67 > 60 and solve for x, your overall grade in year 3.

What is your degree in?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kevin De Bruyne)
    Obtain weighted averages for each year (based on credits) then obtain a weighted average (based on weight of year).

For example, your second year had 120 credits, so each 30 credit unit is worth 25% and 15 credits are 12.5% each.

Let's say you got 76, 60, 60 in your 30 credit units and 64, 64 in your 15 credit units.

Then your overall grade for second year is  (76 \times 0.25) + ( 60\times 0.25)+ ( 60 \times 0.25 ) + (64 \times 0.125) + (64 \times 0.125)

= 19 + 15 + 15 + 8 + 8 = 65.

Now for your overall grade, the weightings are 33 and 67 so if you wanted 60 overall then you'd need 65*0.33 + x*0.67 > 60 and solve for x, your overall grade in year 3.
    Many thanks ive worked out what i need overall this year to get the grade i want.

I have 2 scores from jan both 15 credit modules for my final year. How do i work out what i need from my other 4 modules to get my desires grade?

ReputationRep:
    Many thanks ive worked out what i need overall this year to get the grade i want.

I have 2 scores from jan both 15 credit modules for my final year. How do i work out what i need from my other 4 modules to get my desired grade?
    Thank you
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster

I have 2 scores from jan both 15 credit modules for my final year. How do i work out what i need from my other 4 modules to get my desires grade?
    You don't.

It's a bit like asking 'how do I get 75p in coins?'

All you can work out is that you need 75p. It could be 3 20p coins, 10p and 5p or 50p, 10p, 10p and 5p.

You can apply a weighted average to include your January results, exactly as you do for the overall year grade, but you will hit a brick wall after that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kevin De Bruyne)
    You don't.

It's a bit like asking 'how do I get 75p in coins
    All you can work out is that you need 75p. It could be 3 20p coins, 10p and 5p or 50p, 10p, 10p and 5p.

You can apply a weighted average to include your January results, exactly as you do for the overall year grade, but you will hit a brick wall after that.
    Ok many thanks

ReputationRep:
    for degree you add the module overalls for 2nd and 3rd year and then divide by the amount of modules (14, 7 in each year)
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    It’s worthwhile checking the handbook for your course to make sure that they only use weighted averages. Some courses have requirements for a number of credits above x% or will disregard the highest/lowest percentages etc.

Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.