The Student Room Group

Lifestyle during EFT and thereafter...

Afternoon TSR!

Was asked a question today by the OH (she's v.supportive) - what will be weekends and time off be like if I make it to EFT and thereafter?

I know during IOT that time off is sparse throughout and non-existant during the first month, but what is it like once you're a fully fledged officer and training for branch?

Not that it changes anything but need to keep her in the loop!

EC
Reply 1
Original post by EconWarrior
Afternoon TSR!

Was asked a question today by the OH (she's v.supportive) - what will be weekends and time off be like if I make it to EFT and thereafter?

I know during IOT that time off is sparse throughout and non-existant during the first month, but what is it like once you're a fully fledged officer and training for branch?

EC

Being brutally honest buddy, you’ll have to apply yourself 100% to your chosen role, for all phases of pilot training. How long that is, will depend on your performance.... and how well your courses are sequenced to minimise holds reading the MFTS thread on pprune at the moment, the future looks er ........ fluid.

Pilot training (like all aircrew training) is progressively intensive which tolerates no lapse in concentration or commitment. You’ll always be two rides away from the chop, and if that doesn’t concentrate the mind, nothing will. Unless you’re a natural pilot where everything comes easily (unlikely), you’ll have little spare capacity for anything outside studying, flying and your course colleagues. It’s a tough life for partners, but others have done it, just remember that the OH will have to make massive compromises to enable you to succeed.
To hear it from the horse’s mouth, I’d recommend you talk to Schleigg, who has direct knowledge of the pilot training regime. My expertise is on the WSOp side, but the same principles apply. Good luck with all your training and future career!

Ikky
Reply 2
Original post by Ikaruss
Being brutally honest buddy, you’ll have to apply yourself 100% to your chosen role, for all phases of pilot training. How long that is, will depend on your performance.... and how well your courses are sequenced to minimise holds reading the MFTS thread on pprune at the moment, the future looks er ........ fluid.

Pilot training (like all aircrew training) is progressively intensive which tolerates no lapse in concentration or commitment. You’ll always be two rides away from the chop, and if that doesn’t concentrate the mind, nothing will. Unless you’re a natural pilot where everything comes easily (unlikely), you’ll have little spare capacity for anything outside studying, flying and your course colleagues. It’s a tough life for partners, but others have done it, just remember that the OH will have to make massive compromises to enable you to succeed.
To hear it from the horse’s mouth, I’d recommend you talk to Schleigg, who has direct knowledge of the pilot training regime. My expertise is on the WSOp side, but the same principles apply. Good luck with all your training and future career!

Ikky

Appreciated, ta
Original post by EconWarrior
Afternoon TSR!

EC

During EFT, something like 40% of weekends yours to use like any grown up, 40% you'll be doing your homework and revising for exams like a geeky teenager, 20% you'll be away from home on some training event.

Once on a Squadron, it depends what fleet you are on.
Reply 4
I had every weekend off on EFT and only lost one weekend to a duty at Shawbury.
Reply 5
There you have it Warrior.

You can certainly have a life outside the RAF, but as long as you recognise it will dominate your early years. I would recommend you check out this site and watch / read all the material on here to get an insight into the RAF aircrew life. Despite being Valley (AFT) specific, there is much crossover into other RAF units and also life outside the wire.

Great inspirational blogs which may help you to understand the pressures involved and how to overcome them.

Quick Reply

Latest