Turn on thread page Beta

my friends relationship is bugging me... advice? watch

Announcements

So my best friend has recently got back together with her boyfriend and the way she's behaving is really bugging me. She only wants to talk about him and how 'cute' he is and she gives waaaay to much information about the physical stuff that makes me kinda uncomfortable. When we are together she is constantly texting him, even though she hates it when others are on their phone when she's trying to talk. I don't mean to be the salty single bestfriend but honestly I feel like its putting a lot of strain on our friendship.
    How do I tell her I don't always want to hear about their relationship (especially the parts that are a bit tmi) without hurting her feelings? she's pretty sensitive so I wouldn't want her to feel like she can never talk about him

ReputationRep:
    Can you pull her aside and just explain? She is making you uncomfortable and I think she would prefer to know rather than make you not want to be around her.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    So my best friend has recently got back together with her boyfriend and the way she's behaving is really bugging me. She only wants to talk about him and how 'cute' he is and she gives waaaay to much information about the physical stuff that makes me kinda uncomfortable. When we are together she is constantly texting him, even though she hates it when others are on their phone when she's trying to talk. I don't mean to be the salty single bestfriend but honestly I feel like its putting a lot of strain on our friendship.
    How do I tell her I don't always want to hear about their relationship (especially the parts that are a bit tmi) without hurting her feelings? she's pretty sensitive so I wouldn't want her to feel like she can never talk about him
    Just say to her that you feel uncomfortable and that you would like to spend time with her together alone and have a chat

ReputationRep:
    awwww....tell her about how annoying it is

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm Maybe just say the same thing that you've just written here, plus emphasize how this is for you and your friend's stronger friendship, not for hurting her feelings. You've written here what she does that bugs you, and how she doesn't like other people doing the same thing she's doing right now. She should be mature enough to understand that.

ReputationRep:
    Change the subject if she starts talking about him, don't even try and mention him yourself so she doesn't have an excuse to gossip again. If it gets too much, distance yourself, stop replying to her texts as often or even tell her directly that you're getting bored of hearing about the same old stuff again and again. Remember though that she's in the honeymoon period, is infatuated with everything he does and is kind of living in a little bubble. She'll grow out of it.

ReputationRep:
    Talk to her about the tmi bits.

ReputationRep:
    Talk to your other friends and see if they feel the same way about her tmi relationship, then tell her (when you guys are alone) that you want to talk about other stuff as well as that, and that you know this is important to her but there are things important to you which you want to talk about. Try to say it gently, and try to understand why she wants to talk about it so much
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    It sounds as if she is trying to 'justify' getting back with him. Just change the subject or say you'd prefer not to discuss some details of the relationship.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 25, 2018
Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.