Turn on thread page Beta

Do and do not in Germany watch

ReputationRep:
    Looking to solo travel to Germany sometime this year. Googled dos and donts in Germany as a guide for tourists. Multiple results. How much of this stuff is true or accurate, anyone know?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Ruffiio)
    Looking to solo travel to Germany sometime this year. Googled dos and donts in Germany as a guide for tourists. Multiple results. How much of this stuff is true or accurate, anyone know?
    If you can list the dos and donts, I will tell you the truth where I can. By the way where you go in Germany?

ReputationRep:
    Don't jaywalk

crossing away from marked crossings will get you fined if there's a cop about... we think of it as the most normal thing in the world but in Germany it actually blows their minds that anyone would do this - the German public will rubberneck in disbelief like you're some sort of dangerous lunatic at large

ReputationRep:
    Dont mention the past and you should be good

ReputationRep:
    Oh and do sit down to pee even if male. German toilets feature a poop platform that will act as an effective pee reflector... bouncing urine all over the walls and floor.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Hachik0)
    Dont mention the past and you should be good
    You are talking about the third German Reich, World War II, the Nazis and so on?

It is not the mention, but it is the insulting as such what the Germans in my generation and the next one make so annoying. That is over 70 years ago, Germany itself in this period of time became a versatile nation with different origins of the people in this country, the Germans themselves are already mind open (okay, say the majority is mind open) for people with different cultures and nationalities, even in their own country.

I personally was grown up with acceptance for different nations and cultures and have never had prejudices for those people. On the contrary! I even love such people, they are an enrichment for every society, if they are well integrated. I am even close friends with them.

Nonetheless, I am talking about this German period of time, as I like to discuss about historic events in general, even about such horrible times. I would even eating a snack with a Polish in Auschwitz at the same time.

It is just not fair for making generations responsible for the mistakes of their grandparents and great grandparents in the past. That was a different time with different circumstances.

ReputationRep:
    don't joke around with nazism

ReputationRep:
    Do experience a sauna in Germany. Lovely facilities, a comfortable way to relax, and often with rest loungers and good showers. Local council ones are often inexpensive too. Do not be put off by the culture of Germans being naked when in a sauna (male and female), and of course as this is perfectly normal for Germans, do not gawp or stare. There will be people of all ages so you will not be the youngest there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kallisto)
    You are talking about the third German Reich, World War II, the Nazis and so on?

It is not the mention, but it is the insulting as such what the Germans in my generation and the next one make so annoying. That is over 70 years ago, Germany itself in this period of time became a versatile nation with different origins of the people in this country, the Germans themselves are already mind open (okay, say the majority is mind open) for people with different cultures and nationalities, even in their own country.

I personally was grown up with acceptance for different nations and cultures and have never had prejudices for those people. On the contrary! I even love such people, they are an enrichment for every society, if they are well integrated. I am even close friends with them.

Nonetheless, I am talking about this German period of time, as I like to discuss about historic events in general, even about such horrible times. I would even eating a snack with a Polish in Auschwitz at the same time.

It is just not fair for making generations responsible for the mistakes of their grandparents and great grandparents in the past. That was a different time with different circumstances.
    There are museums and memorials to the Nazi era if you are interested in this. However, quite properly, elsewhere you should be respectful and acknowledge that present day Germans do not share the views of the Nazi era.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by KingHarold)
    There are museums and memorials to the Nazi era if you are interested in this. However, quite properly, elsewhere you should be respectful and acknowledge that present day Germans do not share the views of the Nazi era.
    I know, I know the dumbasses who are in parties or organisatios like NPD, AfD and Pegida. It is just a little part of Germans with prejudices and without any political or hardly historical acknowledge who are not willing to admit they are wrong with their views and refuse to change their mind. They are just stupid patriots who are exist not in Germany only, but also in another countries.

ReputationRep:
    Germans follow rules - e.g. don't cross the street on a red light

don't walk in bike lanes, these will be marked somehow but may only be a different colour paving slab/concrete but people will ride fast and they will giv e you a quick bell ring before they plow into you

be straight forward, Germans don't really get subtlety... and understand that they're not being rude to you, just direct and honest

in a restaurant you need to ask for service, people won't always come over and keep asking, and you should give the tip directly to the waitress when you pay (e.g. your bill is 31 euro... you tell her you want to pay 34 euro)

don't talk about the war... people have many different opinions, experiences and feelings and it can be a touchy subject

ReputationRep:
    Adherence to rules is a good observation. Trains leave bang on time. On the train most people pay to reserve seats, and folk will 100% turf you out if you occupy their seat, even if the rest of the train is empty and you are with a big group in those seats. As said Germans always wait for the green man, but that's also common on much of the continent.

If you don't speak German and order food in English, "What do you want?" will be as common as "What can I get you?" or "What would you like".

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.