Recommend me a book on the Tudors

Watch
username1292215
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Any recommendations? I can only buy 1.

Also, I study Tudor government and Rebellions as part of my A-Levels. Most importantly, I want a book that is entertaining whilst being insightful. I am open to reading about rebellions or even just reading about each monarch.
Napp
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Moved to Books

Try giving Alison Weir or David Starkey a read though
username3786078
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Would you be averse to reading fictional books concerning the Tudor era? If not, I would suggest reading Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel, along with the subsequent sequel, Bring Up the Bodies. Both books are part of a planned trilogy which chronicles the rise to power of Thomas Cromwell, with the third and final book—The Mirror and the Light—being expected to be released in 2019.
moggy2112a
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
"She-Wolves: The Women who Ruled England before Elizabeth" by Helen Castor.

"In medieval England, man was the ruler of woman, and the King was the ruler of all. How, then, could royal power lie in female hands?
In She-Wolves, celebrated historian, Helen Castor, tells the dramatic and fascinating stories of four exceptional women who, while never reigning queens, held great power: Matilda, Eleanor of Aquitaine, Isabella of France and Margaret of Anjou. These were women who paved the way for Jane Grey, Mary Tudor and Elizabeth I - the Tudor queens who finally confronted what it meant to be a female monarch."
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (85)
14.19%
I'm not sure (27)
4.51%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (189)
31.55%
I have already dropped out (12)
2%
I'm not a current university student (286)
47.75%

Watched Threads