Turn on thread page Beta

Recommend me a book on the Tudors watch

ReputationRep:
    Any recommendations? I can only buy 1.

Also, I study Tudor government and Rebellions as part of my A-Levels. Most importantly, I want a book that is entertaining whilst being insightful. I am open to reading about rebellions or even just reading about each monarch.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Moved to Books

Try giving Alison Weir or David Starkey a read though

ReputationRep:
    Would you be averse to reading fictional books concerning the Tudor era? If not, I would suggest reading Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel, along with the subsequent sequel, Bring Up the Bodies. Both books are part of a planned trilogy which chronicles the rise to power of Thomas Cromwell, with the third and final book—The Mirror and the Light—being expected to be released in 2019.

ReputationRep:
    "She-Wolves: The Women who Ruled England before Elizabeth" by Helen Castor.

"In medieval England, man was the ruler of woman, and the King was the ruler of all. How, then, could royal power lie in female hands?
    In She-Wolves, celebrated historian, Helen Castor, tells the dramatic and fascinating stories of four exceptional women who, while never reigning queens, held great power: Matilda, Eleanor of Aquitaine, Isabella of France and Margaret of Anjou. These were women who paved the way for Jane Grey, Mary Tudor and Elizabeth I - the Tudor queens who finally confronted what it meant to be a female monarch."

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.