The Student Room Group

Year abroad Vs Year in industry???

I like the idea of doing both a year abroad and a year in industry but I'm not sure if thats possible? Also what would you say are the benefits and disadvantages of both??
Year abroad for the experience, year in industry for the subsequent job prospects.
Reply 2
Original post by angelinahx
Year abroad for the experience, year in industry for the subsequent job prospects.

Is it possible to do both within the 4 years of a masters?
what subject is this for?
Reply 4
Original post by humanteaparty
what subject is this for?

Engineering.
Study abroad in Engineering isn't very common.
Year in industry is far more common and typical for universities.
Reply 6
Original post by humanteaparty
Study abroad in Engineering isn't very common.
Year in industry is far more common and typical for universities.

Thanks
You'll need to email the uni to check for a definitive answer, the issue will be a combination of welfare and admin as being away from the uni for 2 years straight is less than ideal and they likely don't have a weighting setup for people who do both.

A master's with year in industry is 5 years not 4 years btw, as your year in industry will be between either 2nd and 3rd year or 3rd and 4th year, usually the latter for an MEng. That said I believe Southampton offers semester in industry courses rather than year in industry, and this is included within the 4 years, though obviously you miss out on some content in order for that to happen and semester long industry placements aren't as easy to find as year long ones.

I'd say the pros and cons are pretty much the same for both, except the year in industry is more likely to get you a job at the end, and study abroad is going to end up being a bit of a holiday probably. Pros being you get to see a different kind of working/education system which will help you develop your work ethic when you return and thus get you higher marks, cons being you will forget/miss out on some stuff so need to catch up again throughout the year.
Reply 8
you can do your placement abroad so you will have all the advantages
Original post by tyson69
you can do your placement abroad so you will have all the advantages

Agreed, this is also an option, however your destinations will be more limited with non-EU countries being difficult to do a placement in. If OP doesn't speak languages other than English this could be a problem.
Original post by Helloworld_95
Agreed, this is also an option, however your destinations will be more limited with non-EU countries being difficult to do a placement in. If OP doesn't speak languages other than English this could be a problem.

Maybe doing a work placement in countries such as the netherlands or norway were the percentage of fluent english speakers is vert high
Original post by Helloworld_95
A master's with year in industry is 5 years not 4 years btw,

Yes this is usually the case but I think it's worth pointing out that there are some universities that allow you do to an "integrated" (I think that's what they call it) year in industry where the placement itself is part of the course (and you also study some modules via distance learning), meaning the course still lasts the standard 4 years.

That said I believe Southampton offers semester in industry courses rather than year in industry, and this is included within the 4 years, though obviously you miss out on some content in order for that to happen and semester long industry placements aren't as easy to find as year long ones.

Some Scottish universities also offer semesters in industry. You're right, these are rarer and I don't think I've ever actually seen one advertised on the likes of Gradcracker or company websites, etc. They might be obtained via company links the university has (I know mine had an online system for applying to companies who were willing to support the placement schemes - and, of course, students were also able to apply and search for opportunities themselves too).
Original post by LucyFox54
I like the idea of doing both a year abroad and a year in industry but I'm not sure if thats possible? Also what would you say are the benefits and disadvantages of both??

Year abroad + get a penultimate year internship in the summer is the best imo.

You'll be working for the rest of your life, living and experiencing life in a different country without any real commitments is a rare opportunity

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest