Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am currently studying Communication and Media and I feel like the course doesn't challenge me in any way. I am learning things that are so basic that I don't think they will ever be useful in a career in media, not to mention that a media degree is never required to work within the industry. I am afraid I will waste three years of my life for nothing so I'm considering changing my course after the first year for Business or Management.
    What do you think I should do?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by MarianaE)
    I am currently studying Communication and Media and I feel like the course doesn't challenge me in any way. I am learning things that are so basic that I don't think they will ever be useful in a career in media, not to mention that a media degree is never required to work within the industry. I am afraid I will waste three years of my life for nothing so I'm considering changing my course after the first year for Business or Management.
    What do you think I should do?
    I think you should talk to your tutor about your feelings about the course. First year of a course can often feel easy/simple because it’s about making sure that people from a range of educational systems/subjects all have the same basic knowledge. It may well be that your course will become a lot more complex next year (and if you swap to year 1 of business you might experience exactly the same situation for the first year).

I would also suggest that you speak to someone at your university careers service about what you want to do after your degree and how many graduates from different courses take that route.

ReputationRep:
    Tbh, Media won't secure you a career in media. I once googled 10 first profiles of people working in Dazed Group (magazines). 5/10 of them did English Lit, 3 did History and 2 did Modern Languages. If you don't feel right about it, change before it's too late. Don't waste 3 years of your life and then regret.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by hh_namm)
    Tbh, Media won't secure you a career in media. I once googled 10 first profiles of people working in Dazed Group (magazines). 5/10 of them did English Lit, 3 did History and 2 did Modern Languages. If you don't feel right about it, change before it's too late. Don't waste 3 years of your life and then regret.
    How old where the people you looked at? Did they also have postgraduate journalism qualifications? Yes a generic media degree isn’t ideal to get into journalism or publishing - but an accredited journalism degree is not a generic media degree (and these weren’t common 20+ years ago and so weren’t the main route into the industry for people who started their careers then).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    How old where the people you looked at? Did they also have postgraduate journalism qualifications? Yes a generic media degree isn’t ideal to get into journalism or publishing - but an accredited journalism degree is not a generic media degree (and these weren’t common 20+ years ago and so weren’t the main route into the industry for people who started their careers then).
    Some of them did at City Uni, London but some of them didn't. Having postgraduates degree in Journalism is a common route but undergraduate degree in Journalism is a different story. I doubt they would prefer you because you are a Journalism graduate. Loads of people has become writers, journalists without journalism degree, and that still works with youngsters. It's not always the case, but English or History graduates has still outweighed Journalism graduates in the field of journalism in particular and media in general.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Some of them did at City Uni, London but some of them didn't. Having postgraduates degree in Journalism is a common route but undergraduate degree in Journalism is a different story. I doubt they would prefer you because you are a Journalism graduate. Loads of people has become writers, journalists without journalism degree, and that still works with youngsters. It's not always the case, but English or History graduates has still outweighed Journalism graduates in the field of journalism in particular and media in general.
    Again. You’re comparing the media job market for entry level roles now to the picture ten, twenty, thirty years ago. This is an industry that has not stayed still and is not forgiving to applicants without practical experience and a comprehensive media skillset - that’s not something you get from a more traditional degree subject.

And even if it was your post dismissing all media degrees isn’t very useful to someone halfway through their first year of a degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Again. You’re comparing the media job market for entry level roles now to the picture ten, twenty, thirty years ago. This is an industry that has not stayed still and is not forgiving to applicants without practical experience and a comprehensive media skillset - that’s not something you get from a more traditional degree subject.

And even if it was your post dismissing all media degrees isn’t very useful to someone halfway through their first year of a degree.
    That's what internships are for. Anyway, whatever you think, suit yourself. People are entitled with their thoughts, so I'm not wasting time arguing about this anymore.

For thread starter, English, History, Modern Languages > Journalism/Media. Go for traditional option if you are not sure. At the end of the day, those degrees are still beneficial, one way or another.

ReputationRep:

29 Famous People You Never Knew Had Communication Degrees

http://www.communicationstudies.com/...cation-degrees

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 27, 2018

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.