Turn on thread page Beta

Confused about my History dissertation question watch

ReputationRep:
    Currently in the second semester of my last year and the deadline for my History dissertation is 2 months away. I am very interested in the Wiemar republic era in specific the reasons for its failure however i cant seem to structure a question around it .
    Are there any specific areas i should focus on,places where i can find examples of dissertation questions and so forth because i'm just confused about the whole situation and i really don't know what i'm doing.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by jamas3)
    Currently in the second semester of my last year and the deadline for my History dissertation is 2 months away. I am very interested in the Wiemar republic era in specific the reasons for its failure however i cant seem to structure a question around it .
    Are there any specific areas i should focus on,places where i can find examples of dissertation questions and so forth because i'm just confused about the whole situation and i really don't know what i'm doing.
    Is this a degree or A level?
    How much research have you done?
    As Weimar is a subject thats done at GCSE and A level then you are going to have to do something special at degree level and you are looking for an angle that hasnt been done to death.

The library may keep copies of dissertations. It doesnt have to be about Weimar. I believe there are also plenty of books on Amazon about writing your dissertation. You need to get moving and sort out the title within 10 days.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Is this a degree or A level?
    How much research have you done?
    As Weimar is a subject thats done at GCSE and A level then you are going to have to do something special at degree level and you are looking for an angle that hasnt been done to death.

The library may keep copies of dissertations. It doesnt have to be about Weimar. I believe there are also plenty of books on Amazon about writing your dissertation. You need to get moving and sort out the title within 10 days.
    I am at uni i have read a few books and have engaged with the historiography however i cant seem to find a question which deals with the entire time period as i want to talk about things like economic problems,the wall street crash and conservative elite infighting.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by jamas3)
    I am at uni i have read a few books and have engaged with the historiography however i cant seem to find a question which deals with the entire time period as i want to talk about things like economic problems,the wall street crash and conservative elite infighting.
    Start doing some brainstorming.

Write down all the ideas and areas you want to discuss, then start posing questions to find the angle of attack.

If failure is your central theme then maybe you should ask was it inevitable it failed or were they just unlucky? Were events and the forces available too powerful?

Did Weimar achieve anything and does it have any lasting benefits?

Were they too idealistic?

Your tutor is going to hate it unless you come up with something original that offers further insight as its going to have been done to death. At the moment Weimar is even more under the spotlight.

You need to be asking yourself what is it about your dissertation that is new or interesting enough to make people want to read it compared to the any things already published?

The question can change and be fine tuned as long as you get the first pars of the research done, then you can revisit, when you need to look into specific issues imo. Presumably you have yet to present the skeleton to your tutor?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 25, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.