Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    The essay title is only asking for a description. This is making me feel uneasy about how to answer the question because I feel as though I ought to be analysing or criticising or contrasting in some way to show I am engaging with the material critically.

The title is: What are 'total institutions' ( Goffman) and how do they impact upon the identities of their inmates?

Any advice on how to approach this?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Is this hw from your school or am exam question?

From my understanding, it's asking you to first give a brief description/definition of what total institutions are
    And then "how do they impact...." is where you analyse the effect of them and perhaps talk about how effective each of them are/ aren't and why

Then perhaps an overall conclusion summarising everything

What subject is this out of curiosity? xD Is it sociology?:0
    Hope that helps !
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Hi Beaniehutton and thanks for your response 😊

Sorry, I was very tired when I wrote the post. Yes it is sociology and I'm a first year undergraduate. The degree is Ethics, Philosophy and religion and I'm taking sociology as a minor, but considering making it part of my major next year (if I make it that far haha)

Your idea of analysing in the second part really does help! 😊 Thank you! It really helps to have a different perspective when we are bogged down with something and can't see the woods for the trees. I've been reading Goffman intensively for the last 3 days so became transfixed on what he says is the impact upon the self. I suppose I take what he says is the impact and then try to back it up with studies or critise what he says in the same way.
    Thank you again. What are you studying?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 25, 2018

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.