Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eloquent45)
    the only thing that differs between the two groups is the ‘history’. period.
    So you've gone from asking a question to answering it categorically in the space of 20 short posts.

Seems like a waste of time thread to me.

ReputationRep:
    Imperial is very well know. Do you know ETH Zurich? It's pretty much Imperial level and also does STEM in Switzerland. Because you need proficiency in German no one I know has ever applied there, and although it isn't as hard to "get in" as Imperial, the first year itself it a selection process as 50% fail. People just don't tend to know things that aren't the very best. People know Muhammad Ali but far less people know people of his era who were slightly worse. It's like that with unis, Oxbridge is the best and is known worldwide, Imperial/LSE is below Oxbridge so unless you are interested in their courses you are less likely to know of them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eloquent45)
    the only thing that differs between the two groups is the ‘history’. period.
    Also: Endowmnet amounts - reflects how much money they spend on students and facilities
    Amount of good quality research produced - lots of league tables rate that.
    Exam results of graduates in the case of medicine

Lots of things.

ReputationRep:
    I have read that Imperial and LSE are well known world wide. But then I have heard things like Oxford is the only well known UK uni worldwide (Cambridge not as known).

I wouldn't stress too much, at the end of the day if you go to these top unis you are getting a world class education

ReputationRep:
    I'm an international student, and until the moment I started choosing my unis and filling the UCAS form, I've heard nothing of Imperial. However, I've somehow managed to know about Oxbridge, and, besides it, KCL, Queen Mary, LSE and some others. The same is true about all my classmates: they've never geard a word about it despite the fact it is a really, really great place.

I guess, the problem is that it is STEM-oriented, and hence people who are not interested in applying for those subjects do not have to any reason to try to find any information about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EleventhDoctor)
    I'm an international student, and until the moment I started choosing my unis and filling the UCAS form, I've heard nothing of Imperial.
    this is true. most of my international friends who are going to go to UK for undergrad/postgrad said the same thing.

Tbh, I have no idea why.. I think Imperial is just not ‘that popular’ in global culture, not like Oxbridge.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Imperial College
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 15 Sep '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.