Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,
    I’m heading off to university this year, got my offers in however, I’m torn between picking Sussex or Nottingham Trent. I plan on doing a BA in economics and know overall uni rankings but I just feel very undecided as I plan on living out aswell. Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by hal177)
    Hey guys,
    I’m heading off to university this year, got my offers in however, I’m torn between picking Sussex or Nottingham Trent. I plan on doing a BA in economics and know overall uni rankings but I just feel very undecided as I plan on living out aswell. Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    Have you visited both places?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue_Cow)
    Have you visited both places?
    Visited sussex, it was alright albeit a bit underwhelming for a university. Sister went to Nottingham trent and I’ve checked it out myself and it does look appealing. I guess my main concern is the teaching, atmosphere and enjoyment to a certain degree as I’d hate to go to a uni for 3 years and didn’t get a good balance of work and fun. If it helps, I’ve also received offers from: reading, coventry and dmu
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Visited sussex, it was alright albeit a bit underwhelming for a university. Sister went to Nottingham trent and I’ve checked it out myself and it does look appealing. I guess my main concern is the teaching, atmosphere and enjoyment to a certain degree as I’d hate to go to a uni for 3 years and didn’t get a good balance of work and fun. If it helps, I’ve also received offers from: reading, coventry and dmu
    Well, Nottingham is known to be a fairly active/party-like city.

Check out the TEF Rating of both (and also check the methodology), UNISTATS data and NSS data as well as getting opinions on here

ReputationRep:
    Well, Nottingham is known to be a fairly active/party-like city.

Check out the TEF Rating of both (and also check the methodology), UNISTATS data and NSS data as well as getting opinions on here
    Ok sure thing thanks for that! Just to get your opinion, what do you think is more viable to pick? Or does any out of the offers sounds decent?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Ok sure thing thanks for that! Just to get your opinion, what do you think is more viable to pick? Or does any out of the offers sounds decent?
    I study at Edinburgh, so none of the institutions you've listed therefore I can't give much in terms of an informed opinion! Sorry! They're all good universities though

ReputationRep:
    Don't base it on the uni rankings. Go to both unis on open days or taster days and learn as much as you can and pick one with that information.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you, I do have one for nottingham coming up soon, what would you recommend I look out for?

ReputationRep:
    I study at Edinburgh, so none of the institutions you've listed therefore I can't give much in terms of an informed opinion! Sorry! They're all good universities though
    No worries, thanks for advice! Turns out Sussex got a silver TEF award and Nottingham trent got gold 🤔
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hey guys,
    Hi Hal177

Massive congrats on all of your offers!

I am a third year Business Management & Marketing student at NTU currently on placement

As others have said, going to see the university will really help you decide if it the one for you and whether you feel like it could be a city you'd want to spend the 3/4 years living in.

It's really good to see that you are looking at all aspects of univeristy life by trying to get a good balance between the teaching as well as the sort of atmosphere that the uni offers. Personally, I believe that NTU really does offer that and I have loved my time here.

Our economics course is really highly rated by the students who study the course, last year 100% of final year students said they were satisfied with the course overall. As well as this 100% of our students in 2015/16 were in employment or further study six months after graduating from NTU

I See that you said you are coming to an open day which is fantastic, in terms of things to look out for I would check out the buildings that you will be having your lectures and seminars in, other facilities such as the library, SU and halls of residence and finally to go and have a look arounf the city. The city is really what sold NTU to me as it isn't so big that it is overwhelming bit there's still loads of things to do and has a great buzz about the place.

Often you will just get a feeling to whether it is the right place for you!

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to let me know and I'll do my best to answer

Chris

ReputationRep:
    Cheers Chris, I’ll do extactly that. Only thing left I’d ask is how is that specific course taught? And how Is the course split in terms of exams and coursework Thanks again!
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Cheers Chris, I’ll do extactly that. Only thing left I’d ask is how is that specific course taught? And how Is the course split in terms of exams and coursework Thanks again!
    No problem!

You will have a mixture of seminars/lectures/workshops - in first year it will be between 12-15 hours of contact time and then in Year 2 and year 4 it will be slightly less as the emphasis will be on independent study.

The assessments for each year are:

Full time version of the course (3 years)-
    Year 1 coursework (38%) and written (62%)
    Year 2 coursework (15%) and written (85%)
    Year 4 coursework (55%) and written (45%)

Sandwich version of the course (4 Years)-
    Year 1 coursework (38%) and written (62%)
    Year 2 coursework (15%) and written (85%)
    Year 3 placement (100%)
    Year 4 coursework (55%) and written (45%).

Hope that helps, give me a shout if you have any other questions!

Chris

ReputationRep:
    Thanks again Chris that’s been a big help!

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.