Turn on thread page Beta

I'm ugly - the truth about being unattractive watch

I hate myself. I look into the mirror and sometimes it gets too much. I hate being fat and ugly and I just wish I could change my appearance into somebody else, anybody else. What can I do to change this? It hurts so much when you're always the ugly friend or the girl who can never get a date. I hate myself, makeup makes me a solid 2/10. Sometimes it gets to the point where I just can't help it and breakdown crying because I just want to be happy with myself but I can't. I have the worst nose ever and a too pointy chin and I'm tired of being the fat girl. What can I do? I've tried all the diets and the makeup and I'm saving up for surgery but it hurts so much to look at your photos and reflection and hate what you see.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    ok firstly don't have any surgery on your face it's a waste of money and you will most likely regret it

secondly why not try hitting the gym every once an while and do some exercises there

thirdly there are worse things to worry about in life than appearances

ReputationRep:
    Try and not think you are ugly. Be happy with yourself. If you want to lose weight try a mix of exercise and dieting or something. Don't just diet it works for some people but it seems not to work for you which means you may have to do some exercise. I suggest some researching on different workouts with dieting and stuff.

ReputationRep:
    Start with baby-steps develop small habits at first such as exercising a minimum of 30 minutes a day, cutting down snacks etc. It's about developing good habits to create a positive feedback loop. Results don't come fast. You need to understand that to be successful in most things including fitness/weight loss you need to have a capacity for deferring gratification which comes from discipline.

My suggestion is don't focus on things you can't change such as your physiognomy you are likely exaggerating the flaw, having healthy skin and a nice body will make you a lot more attractive and people won't even notice these sort of flaws.

You need to change your diet, don't go for fad diets just eat less and eat better food. You need to stick with it. It won't be fun and it'll be tempting to give up but it's worth it if you do actually want to see a difference in your appearance. Work out a few times a week as well. So many overweight people complain but they don't stick it through so they don't see changes. I know sometimes it's medical but you can still try.

ReputationRep:
    You need to accept the way you look however it is and focus on things you can improve as there is no point in fretting over things you can`t change.Tje shape of your chin and nose is not something you can control wthout plastic surgery so try not to worry about it (i have the fleshiest nose in the history of the world myself but it does not really bother me). But your weight is something which you can usually control though it is not easy. If you don`t like the weight and it has got you down have you tried visiting the GP for advice? Maybe you have a medical condition which leads to excess weight? If not then do you also commit to exercise aswell as dieting? Do you have alot of cheat days? PM me if you want to talk to a stranger you will likely never meet to vent about it.

ReputationRep:
    I bet OP isnt even fat

ReputationRep:
    I understand how you feel, I've been through it all too and even to this day I still go through it at times. As hard as it may be, the only way you can step forward is to accept and love yourself. You'll never take a step forward if every step you take is fuelled by resentment because you're attempting to begin a journey on a bedrock of hate. The journey is more about how many times you keep get back on the train not about avoiding falling off at all.

Remember what you want to change is a lifestyle, it takes time, you have to act like the hero of your own movie and 90% of it is just showing up, whether you feel like it or not and you won't be perfect everyday and that's fine, forgive yourself and start again the next day until you achieve that goal. Comfort is not your friend, appreciate the discomfort of hard work and you will blossom.

ReputationRep:
    You mentioned you're fat. Reducing fat will increase your attractiveness so try to lose weight which is simple: eat less unhealthy food, eat more healthy food and/or exercise more. Remember how you are feeling at the moment and use that as inspiration whenever you feel like indulging your bad unhealthy eating habits. You can't do anything about bone structure (chin and nose) but you can build muscle by working out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I hate myself. I look into the mirror and sometimes it gets too much. I hate being fat and ugly and I just wish I could change my appearance into somebody else, anybody else.
    If you're unhappy with your physical fitness/attractiveness, use your frustration to your advantage and start eating healthier and exercising more. Use your unhappiness as motivation to keep going.

Only you can make yourself happy in your own skin. If you truly believe you are overweight and YOU want to make a change, do it

ReputationRep:
    Oh gosh I feel you sister!!!!
    I think there's generally two answers to this: change the way you think or change the way you look.
    You see, your goal is to be happy about your appearance. People from where you live may think you are ugly, but people from other cultures might not. Who knows. It's subjective. And chances are, although I haven't seen you, you don't really look that bad. There might be cellulite here and there and you might not have that perfect Kim Kardashian body, but what's so important about looks? Your life has way more potential than just looks. Your soul is unique, there is no other one that is just like you and that itself make you valuable. What shines within will shine outward, and there surely will be people who will love you.
    If you want to change the way you look, you will have to give up much of the food that you eat and the lifestyle you have. Yes it's hard, and if you have already tried all the different types of diet, chances are you're already tired of them. But I recomment you just let go of all those types of diets. and Just observe your day-to-day life. What you eat, what you do, how much you move, etc. Then observe the day-to-day life of a close friend that is perhaps "prettier" or "slimmer" than you. Compare and contrast, slowly change your life so it is kind of similar to that one. It's scientifically proven that it takes 66 days to set up a habit. A lifestyle is basically an aggregate of habits, so if you slowly build your habits up, it takes about half and year to completely change your lifestyle. It requires patience, but many other people have succeeded. Means you can do it also

ReputationRep:
    just don't look at yourself in the mirror.

I'm ugly too. I hate it. No easy solutions, unfortunately.

ReputationRep:
    Hey There!

Physical looks are subjective so you will always be attractive to someone. The most important thing of course though, is being happy and confident about the way you look - and this is clearly hurting your self-esteem too.

Firstly, I would say that you're not ugly as you think you are and you need a different mindset. I would suggest doing little things everyday to make sure that you're being kind to yourself and taking care of yourself, ie. make sure you get enough rest everyday, make sure you are eating enough, reward yourself by taking a bath every now and then instead of a shower to just sit and relax or or watch/read things you enjoy. I'm saying you should reward yourself because worrying so much is really draining and having low-self esteem is draining, so if you start treating yourself better and start taking control of your life and do things that you want to do, you'll feel more confident. I've found that this has helped me with my self-esteem too (But it doesn't happen overnight of course).

Secondly, if your concerned about your weight, there are things you can do to change this - don't worry! You can start exercising. Maybe start something once a week like running or going to the gym? If you're worried about going alone, maybe you could find a friend to go with you. Exercise is also good for making you feel happier and more confident. It is also good to have a balanced diet, so avoid fast food restaurants etc. But that doesn't mean you can't eat in those places (I think you can go there one day a week so long as you keep a healthy, balanced diet the rest of the week). It's good to eat a mix of stuff too because it's good for the gut. The most important thing, if you're planning to lose weight, is that you do so in a healthy way that makes you happy. Do not skip meals or any of that kind of thing because that does not work and it is not healthy in the long run.

I hope this has helped a bit and I just hope that you start being kinder to yourself because I'm sure you look beautiful 💖 Best of Luck! xx 😁

ReputationRep:
    I don't agree that you should just either be changing the way you look or how you feel about yourself. The only way you're going to be able to lose weight, be satisfied with your appearance and feel comfortable within yourself is to do both. I think going to the gym is a good thing but only if you enjoy it, if you're doing exercise and restricting the foods you eat to punish yourself, you may lose weight but you'll never be able to appreciate it like you will if you find alternative foods that you enjoy just as much and do exercise that makes you feel good not just when you see a change in how you look in the mirror. I really think if you try to look at it as no longer punishing your body but actually giving it what it needs and wants - exercise, healthy food etc - you'll see a change in your mindset and in your appearance.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 25, 2018
Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.