Turn on thread page Beta

Only want a 4 in gcse maths watch

I only need a 4 for maths,i’m on the mathsgenie website, if i only learn the 1-4 topics then is that okay? And do past papers that have these topics then will i be able to pass?

ReputationRep:
    no learn more to improve your chance of getting a 4, if you only learn the 1-4 topics - that will probs be 25% of the paper, most is grade 6-9, you dont need to learn the grade 9 stuff but theres lots of grade 6 and 7 stuff thats suprisingly easy

ReputationRep:
    No, learn as much as you can. What if you need more than a 4 at some point, what will happen then? It is better to futureproof it by going for a 6 or something,

(Original post by Gent2324)
    no learn more to improve your chance of getting a 4, if you only learn the 1-4 topics - that will probs be 25% of the paper, most is grade 6-9, you dont need to learn the grade 9 stuff but theres lots of grade 6 and 7 stuff thats suprisingly easy
    I simply don’t have the time to learn grade 9’s or even 7’s. I struggle with maths way too much. The first 10 questions, aren’t they 1-5?

(Original post by monkeyman0121)
    No, learn as much as you can. What if you need more than a 4 at some point, what will happen then? It is better to futureproof it by going for a 6 or something,
    All the universities that i will be applying for next year, need a minimum of 4. And i’m not going to stress myself out by learning more if i only need a 4. Maths seriously stresses me out and isnt good for my mental health. I have 3 orher a levels that need work. So pls. Just tell me. will this work?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I simply don’t have the time to learn grade 9’s or even 7’s. I struggle with maths way too much. The first 10 questions, aren’t they 1-5?
    well theres no definitive answer but it should be around that i guess. you need to get all of them right though.. and you do have time, just youtube how to to do powers or surds or rationalising denominators it really doesnt take long to get the hand of them

ReputationRep:
    All the universities that i will be applying for next year, need a minimum of 4. And i’m not going to stress myself out by learning more if i only need a 4. Maths seriously stresses me out and isnt good for my mental health. I have 3 orher a levels that need work. So pls. Just tell me. will this work?
    I don't know, you never know if it will all come up in tests so it is a high risk to take. I would recommend learning most of it.

well theres no definitive answer but it should be around that i guess. you need to get all of them right though.. and you do have time, just youtube how to to do powers or surds or rationalising denominators it really doesnt take long to get the hand of them
    If simple fractions makes me want to kill myself then rationalising whatever that is will make me actually do that

ReputationRep:
    If simple fractions makes me want to kill myself then rationalising whatever that is will make me actually do that
    are you doing foundation?

ReputationRep:
    You should learn a bit more than that because you will need 'wiggle room' if you make too many silly mistakes on 1-4 graded questions. I think learning up to grade 5 will be ok. Are you taking the foundation paper? If so, I think you will only need to learn up to grade 5 anyway.

are you doing foundation?
    Higher

(Original post by gomgossa)
    You should learn a bit more than that because you will need 'wiggle room' if you make too many silly mistakes on 1-4 graded questions. I think learning up to grade 5 will be ok. Are you taking the foundation paper? If so, I think you will only need to learn up to grade 5 anyway.
    I’m doing higher and ok ill learn up to 5

ReputationRep:
    Higher
    why are you doing higher when you only want a 4? a 4 is easier to get on a foundation paper than it is on higher

ReputationRep:
    I only need a 4 for maths,i’m on the mathsgenie website, if i only learn the 1-4 topics then is that okay? And do past papers that have these topics then will i be able to pass?
    Perhaps just do foundation because higher paper is really made up of difficult questions. There's not much grade 1-4 in it

why are you doing higher when you only want a 4? a 4 is easier to get on a foundation paper than it is on higher
    I prefer harder topics and 30 marks than easy topics and 70 marks to get a basic c

(Original post by Sabz152)
    Are u doing foundation?
    higher

ReputationRep:
    Why are you striving for just a 4? I advise you do as much as you can. There will be more opportunities.

(Original post by Grizzelex)
    Why are you striving for just a 4? I advise you do as much as you can. There will be more opportunities.
    Because i dont really care for maths at all and i just want to meet the requirements for the unis

(Original post by Sabz152)
    Perhaps just do foundation because higher paper is really made up of difficult questions. There's not much grade 1-4 in it
    foundation you have to get wayy too many marks to pass. One mark off and youre on a D

ReputationRep:
    Because i dont really care for maths at all and i just want to meet the requirements for the unis
    Okay, I see. Good luck.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.