Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Only want a 4 in gcse maths watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'd honestly just recommend learning as much as you can if you do the higher paper. Yes, you will dislike it but it will increase your chances. By learning only up to grade 4/5 you are
    1) gambling on the chance that they will all come up
    2) Answer the questions perfectly

Even if you learn up to grade 4/5 *perfectly* there is not a high chance that lots of it will come up as higher exams tend to have more more of the harder topics and it's easy to drop a few marks here and there on topics that you do know.

The more you learn, the more marks you can scrape on the exam increasing your chances of a 4.
    Judging from your previous replies, this will be hard as you dislike maths but please seriously consider it. Think of university, your reason for doing this and as the saying goes : short term pain, long term gain.

With that out of the way, I don't want to make you feel like we are just saying "Doing more increases your chances, so go revise now". The community here truly is wonderful (lol, some of the time) and plenty of us here are willing to answer questions you have about revision or maths as you revise.
    I use examsolutions.net as well as some questions. I find youtube easier to learn from lots of the time

motivation can be hard to find when it comes to these sorts of things, so I hope you find it . Good luck ^^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Because i dont really care for maths at all and i just want to meet the requirements for the unis
    your attitude towards education makes me sick

(Original post by mariejuana)
    towards maths* for your information

(Original post by mariejuana)
    What's wrong with wanting to meet requirements?

(Original post by Rarest)
    I'd honestly just recommend learning as much as you can if you do the higher paper. Yes, you will dislike it but it will increase your chances. By learning only up to grade 4/5 you are
    1) gambling on the chance that they will all come up
    2) Answer the questions perfectly

Even if you learn up to grade 4/5 *perfectly* there is not a high chance that lots of it will come up as higher exams tend to have more more of the harder topics and it's easy to drop a few marks here and there on topics that you do know.

The more you learn, the more marks you can scrape on the exam increasing your chances of a 4.
    Judging from your previous replies, this will be hard as you dislike maths but please seriously consider it. Think of university, your reason for doing this and as the saying goes : short term pain, long term gain.

With that out of the way, I don't want to make you feel like we are just saying "Doing more increases your chances, so go revise now". The community here truly is wonderful (lol, some of the time) and plenty of us here are willing to answer questions you have about revision or maths as you revise.
    I use examsolutions.net as well as some questions. I find youtube easier to learn from lots of the time

motivation can be hard to find when it comes to these sorts of things, so I hope you find it . Good luck ^^
    “As much as you can” doesn’t quite help!! Im way too stressed. I have sooo much a level work to get done! Grade 7-9 are extremely hard me to understand and I definitely wont be able to remember all of this by 24th may

Thanks for the good luck

“As much as you can” doesn’t quite help!! Im way too stressed. I have sooo much a level work to get done! Grade 7-9 are extremely hard me to understand and I definitely wont be able to remember all of this by 24th may

Thanks for the good luck
    87 days, that's more than enough to reach a 4. I'm suggesting that let's say by day 60, you've learnt up to grade 5. Don't spend the last 27 days doing nothing, practice and learn a bit of grade 6 stuff etc. Even if you don't learn much grade 6/7 stuff it might allow you to scrape a few marks.

87 days, that's more than enough to reach a 4. I'm suggesting that let's say by day 60, you've learnt up to grade 5. Don't spend the last 27 days doing nothing, practice and learn a bit of grade 6 stuff etc. Even if you don't learn much grade 6/7 stuff it might allow you to scrape a few marks.
    People are now making me worried by saying grade 5 and under will be 20% of the paper! Ill try to learn up to 7 then

ReputationRep:
    People are now making me worried by saying grade 5 and under will be 20% of the paper! Ill try to learn up to 7 then
    I can tell you that your worries, even if you hate maths (which I'd understand) are unfounded. You can learn the 1-4 material relatively easily if you but your mind to it. 5 will be a little harder. 6 will be harder still. 7 is a stretch and you shouldn't go for it unless you are secure on the 5 material at least. Because at 7, you can get method marks rather than just answer marks. I wish you the best of luck with gcse maths. You will do well, you can put your mind to it and you will be thankful to yourself later. At least learn the band 6 material to a decent standard where you get around half the marks. You should be aceing everything beneath 4 with practice. This is my strategy for getting at least a 5, and putting yourself on good standing to get a 6 and maybe a 7. The 6 and 7 material is much easier than you think. It just needs time and composure.

ReputationRep:
    I understand where you're coming from, OP. Of course everyone should try their hardest at school but if you know you're only capable of getting a 4/5, why should you stress about trying to get higher marks in Maths when you've got several other subjects to revise for? My partner's daughter finds Maths very difficult and she's only aiming for a 4/5 to get into sixth form or college, she doesn't want to do Maths in the future so it's pointless her getting even more stressed when she could be focusing on the subjects she wants to continue to A Level

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.