Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I just sat my GCSEs this previous summer and I achieved: 1A* in chem, 5 As in R.E, Geography, Bio, Physics And Maths (7) and lastly I got 3 Cs in German English language and literature (both 5).
    I'm currently doing Maths bio and chem at A levels. My problem is most unis ask for a B in English and maths but English is letting me down a lot. I love science and maths but English as a subject i just don't enjoy or do well in. I'm confident that I'm a strong candidate and I'm certain that if i revise I can get all A' s at A level. Do you think if i do well enough at my A levels that unis will overlook my English?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    If you don't meet the minimum GCSE requirements then it doesn't matter how well you do in your A-levels, you haven't met the requirements. My suggestion is to figure out if any medical schools will accept those grades. If there aren't, maybe start looking at medical schools that will accept GCSE resits with no issues and consider that option.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

ReputationRep:
    Lots, if not most, medical schools convert your GCSEs into a series of points which they use to rank, and then either accept or reject students (eg Nottingham, Birmingham..). Oxbridge don’t have a set criteria but like good grades. Kings looks at GCSEs too. All I know for sure is Imperial does not look at GCSEs at all and Barts doesn’t have set gcse requirements but may look at them when coming to final decisions.

I’d say, it’s pretty risky applying with a C in English as all med schools need a B or above (well it’s either B or C I can’t remember - but a B is better anyway)

Your best bet is to just retake the exam this year tbh. Loads of my friends ended up doing that and they improved a lot and now have got offers for medicine, dentistry and engineering!

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sportyegg)
    Lots, if not most, medical schools convert your GCSEs into a series of points which they use to rank, and then either accept or reject students (eg Nottingham, Birmingham..). Oxbridge don’t have a set criteria but like good grades. Kings looks at GCSEs too. All I know for sure is Imperial does not look at GCSEs at all and Barts doesn’t have set gcse requirements but may look at them when coming to final decisions.

I’d say, it’s pretty risky applying with a C in English as all med schools need a B or above (well it’s either B or C I can’t remember - but a B is better anyway)

Your best bet is to just retake the exam this year tbh. Loads of my friends ended up doing that and they improved a lot and now have got offers for medicine, dentistry and engineering!

Good luck.
    Yh I've been thinking about it for the last hour and I'm come to a decision that i should just retake. I've got no stress for AS exams. I've got mocks running from April 30th till may 2nd and then i still have time to prep for my English exams. I'm just gonna have to try my best and hope I can get a 6 or maybe even a 7 which i was hoping for the first time. Thanks for the advise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ahsan0916)
    I just sat my GCSEs this previous summer and I achieved: 1A* in chem, 5 As in R.E, Geography, Bio, Physics And Maths (7) and lastly I got 3 Cs in German English language and literature (both 5).
    I'm currently doing Maths bio and chem at A levels. My problem is most unis ask for a B in English and maths but English is letting me down a lot. I love science and maths but English as a subject i just don't enjoy or do well in. I'm confident that I'm a strong candidate and I'm certain that if i revise I can get all A' s at A level. Do you think if i do well enough at my A levels that unis will overlook my English?
    Your other GCSE results are excellent but can’t see how you only got C for GCSE English, when it’s one of the easiest GCSE subjects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ambitious1999)
    Your other GCSE results are excellent but can’t see how you only got C for GCSE English, when it’s one of the easiest GCSE subjects.
    To be honest I just didn't try hard enough for English. I would just zone out in lessons and fall asleep. I regret it a lot now so wish me luck that i can do good this summer 😂

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ambitious1999)
    What an entirely useless comment

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 25, 2018
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.