Turn on thread page Beta

Do you agree men tend to have better taste in music than girls? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilfred Little)
    In real life, 99% of people I know have basically no taste, and aren't really music guys. They like whatever is easily accessed, and don't really put time into seeking anything out. That applies to men and women.

Most people are not into music as a hobby.
    I agree. The worst are those who listen to what is basically bad karaoke.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Because of course, every single female and every single male has exactly the same taste in music, don't they?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma:-))
    Why is it.
    men dont have better taste. They are both equal. Both men and women have good taste in music. Same with bad taste. Simple.
    There are individuals within each gender but overall there's definitely a trend.

Just had a look at some of your threads:

For me id love to see-
    Busted
    Son of dork
    Westlife
    Mcfly
    Kaiser chiefs
    Maroon 5

(i know the last 3 bands are still together, but id stilllove to see them).
    I like to see shania twain (already seen her once but want to see her again) mika shawn mendes anne marie
    Not helping your case

ReputationRep:
    Somewhat anecdotally, but still empirically and unequivocally, yes. Another reason I'm single.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    Because of course, every single female and every single male has exactly the same taste in music, don't they?
    If you read my OP properly you'd see that I addressed this.

ReputationRep:
    I would like to ask a question that how exactly can u define "better taste" in music? I'm asking this out human population is so large that atleast each type of music has a lover and this makes it difficult and impossible to answer what's a good taste in music and we r talking about likes and dislikes and our likes are controlled by our emotions which we can't control so we can't nudge what's the "better taste" of music in the first place.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CollectiveSoul)
    thank you for your insight, Dali Lama.
    *Dalai

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brainmaster)
    I would like to ask a question that how exactly can u define "better taste" in music? I'm asking this out human population is so large that atleast each type of music has a lover and this makes it difficult and impossible to answer what's a good taste in music and we r talking about likes and dislikes and our likes are controlled by our emotions which we can't control so we can't nudge what's the "better taste" of music in the first place.
    Good taste for me is anyone who has an enthusiasm for music and goes out of their way to find it. Doesn't really matter what style or genre.

So basically anyone who treats it as a hobby.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by difficult)
    I know we're all individuals and music taste is subjective. But do you think guys are more likely to explore genres more deeply than girls? And earlier in their teens than girls. When I say better taste in music, I don't really mean specific genres, I mean going back to the roots and listening to the old school hip hop, the classic rock, experimental rock, art rock. Or exploring less mainstream areas like minimal techno. I find most girls seem to just scratch the surface and mostly just listen to the more well known examples.
    Don't get me wrong, I know some guys with really dull taste in music, really simple chart stuff. I also know some girls who really know their stuff about music and love the more unusual classics, not just the immediately catchy stuff.
    What do you think? I find there are way more male music pundits and djs.
    Probably gonna get some hate from the ladies on this one but I've studied a lot of my male and female friends' music preferences and the results are pretty clear.

Not sure why that is though, perhaps males feel more connected to the harder rock and perhaps always dreamt of being in a rock band or being a famous dj because they have more male artists to look up to. Or because males feel more of a pressure to be cool and impress, and are unwilling to admit they love the more lame stuff. Less likely to admit they love one direction. Perhaps because a lot of young female love for music is slightly based on the attractiveness of the band members?
    personally, i like rap and grime like most guys, whereas i am a girl so no i think its just a matter of opinion and what sort of music people like

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    Somewhat anecdotally, but still empirically and unequivocally, yes. Another reason I'm single.
    For some inexplicable reason, I was under the impression you were partners with a female from this very website, and had been for some time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Israakhan3)
    personally, i like rap and grime like most guys, whereas i am a girl so no i think its just a matter of opinion and what sort of music people like
    But by saying 'like most guys' isn't that kind of implying that guys generally have superior music taste? You seem to be saying you're not like most girls because you like guy music. Because yes your individual taste may be good but you're saying 'like most guys'

ReputationRep:
    Good taste for me is anyone who has an enthusiasm for music and goes out of their way to find it. Doesn't really matter what style or genre.

So basically anyone who treats it as a hobby.
    Yeah, I'd go with this.

ReputationRep:
    Not really.

One things for sure, them girls in the club that literally have no clue about rap, but love anything with bass in it need a slap.
    Man in school I once caught a girl saying "OMG i love eminem!!" when NF was on.
    Oh ****, and remember "panda-desiigner" **** me, caught one of them saying "oh my godddddd this is so littt" LIKE BE QUIET MAN!!!!!
    When I was playing "somebody gotta die" by biggie they thought it was Jay Z. Sounds nothing alike!
    Arghhhhhh i'm going on such a rant usually I never do this but you don't understand how stressful it is. Please, if your one of these people, just stop.

ReputationRep:
    But by saying 'like most guys' isn't that kind of implying that guys generally have superior music taste? You seem to be saying you're not like most girls because you like guy music. Because yes your individual taste may be good but you're saying 'like most guys'
    She didn't mention that guys have superior music tastes, she just said that she like rap and grime, which most guys she's seen listens to, but she's a girl, which is why she says, 'whereas'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by k.n.h.)
    She didn't mention that guys have superior music tastes, she just said that she like rap and grime, which most guys she's seen listens to, but she's a girl, which is why she says, 'whereas'
    She is implying it.
    She says she likes rap and grime which indicates she thinks they're good. Then she says 'like most guys' suggesting that her taste in music is more similar to guys taste than girls taste.
    She is implying that some girls like herself can also have good taste in music and she is one of them because she also likes rap and grime just like most guys she knows do.

ReputationRep:
    She is implying it.
    She says she likes rap and grime which indicates she thinks they're good. Then she says 'like most guys' suggesting that her taste in music is more similar to guys taste than girls taste.
    She is implying that some girls like herself can also have good taste in music and she is one of them because she also likes rap and grime just like most guys she knows do.
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    In my experience girls tend to prefer more lyrically driven music where the instruments are more about providing a catchy hook and might be more minimalist and easy to listen to. It tends to be guys who get into more instrumentally driven music or music with longer and more complex arrangements in general I guess.

ReputationRep:
    In real life, 99% of people I know have basically no taste, and aren't really music guys. They like whatever is easily accessed, and don't really put time into seeking anything out. That applies to men and women.

Most people are not into music as a hobby.
    Also true, alas; but the "hobby", such as it is, prevails more among men—at least as regards our domestic scene—and that disparity is likewise mirrored in the UK's paucity of notable female composers, producers and DJs, if not of 'practising musicians' per se, to the extent that encountering such on native soil might feel tantamount to crossing paths with an actual unicorn.

Conversely, the situation in continental Europe seems somehow more broadly conducive to female representation within this field, and—again, somewhat anecdotally; insomuch as OkCupid (ahem) can bear witness—it strikes me as perhaps no co-incidence that women hailing from these cultures will seem to exhibit a greater net tendency towards the kind of cosmopolitan musical attitude that I personally prize in a prospective partner; to preferences which span the acoustic and the electronic in more or less equal measure, and do not eschew left-field, experimental or otherwise 'difficult' material that, while by no means unassailably avant garde or purely technical, still requires one's ear to be attentive, perceptive, and generally responsive to nuance. In short: the kind of dating profile that abounds with names like Debussy, Satie, Rautavaara, Venetian Snares, Amon Tobin, The Coup, Frank Zappa, Pan Sonic, Coldcut, Xiu Xiu, and so forth.

Unfortunately, my own experience remains that such women—in the UK, if not necessarily elsewhere—are still vanishingly thin on the ground, and more's the pity.

ReputationRep:
    Yes lol, almost every girl i've met has either been into the standard chart garbage, or has been "alt" but actually only listened to the most bland, entry level bands in any given genre.

"Oh you like metal, what bands do you like?"
    "I really like black Sabbath and bring me the horizon xDDDD"

"Oh you like hiphop, what artists do you like?"
    "I really like kendrick and miigos xDDDD"

ect ect

Don't even get me started on the indie ones smh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Less(e/o)n)
    For some inexplicable reason, I was under the impression you were partners with a female from this very website, and had been for some time.
    Formerly, yes; for the better part of two years. Not since 2010, though.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.