Turn on thread page Beta

Working full time and living with students who do nothing watch

Does anybody here work full time and live with friends who are students? More specifically, students who don't do much and are nocturnal like my flatmates.
    How much free time do they have compared to you and how do you feel about this?
    When I left university over a year ago I decided to continue living with friends who are "full-time" undergraduates, but I'm really struggling with the fact that they (not all students but my flatmates in particular) have a lot of free time and I am reminded that I don't. I don't blame them of course, it's not their fault that I'm working so much, and I wish I wasn't so jealous of all the time they have but I am. Getting home and hearing every day that their day was very uneventful gets old quickly. I think I would feel better if I lived with other young people who are in the same boat as me. It would be nice to ask about their day and actually hear that they did something. It would also be nice to have flatmates in a similar financial situation to me.

The main issues I have personally are:
    - Our schedules are very different so they go to bed around the same time as I'm leaving for work in the mornings
    - I am frustrated by things such as all the dishes being dirty (we agreed to wash our own things instead of taking turns) to the point where there are no clean plates/glasses/pans for me to use for my dinner. I wash everything as soon as I'm finished eating, and one of them has the nerve to ask if I could clean the kitchen at some point (he said mainly wipe down the table, which has his crumbs and ash all over it from the night before. also tidy up the sofa cushions etc which I haven't sat on in weeks)
    - Certain tasks I sometimes suggest could be done during the daytime when I'm at work, such as taking mail to a neighbour that was delivered to us instead, nobody takes responsibility for, and I feel like I need to but it's difficult to find the time when I'm out all day
    - Complaining about lack of money and then complaining about having nothing to do all day/not having a job whilst not searching for one
    - Going on nights out and holding parties etc on weekdays and not wanting to do anything on the weekends
    I feel like I've ranted a bit but that wasn't my intention with this post. To sum up, I don't enjoy living with people with such different lifestyles to my own, and I am aware that this is my problem and not theirs. Is anyone else in the same situation? Do you think I should try and find people with similar schedules to my own to live with next year? I need to decide soon in order to renew the lease (or not)

ReputationRep:
    You've spent far too long elaborating the problem rather than seeking a solution. Obviously, it would suit you better to live with flat mates who are at the same life stage/career stage as you.

ReputationRep:
    They have no excuse not to do any cleaning or tidying up if they're sat around doing nothing all day, and that goes for everyone who lives in a shared house. But if they're students, they'll have lectures and tutorials to go to and will be doing a good chunk of work whilst at home so perhaps they're not doing as little as you think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bones-mccoy)
    They have no excuse not to do any cleaning or tidying up if they're sat around doing nothing all day, and that goes for everyone who lives in a shared house. But if they're students, they'll have lectures and tutorials to go to and will be doing a good chunk of work whilst at home so perhaps they're not doing as little as you think?
    true - but virtually no students work for 40 hours a week, especially year round (they may put in a heavy week or two at peak times) which gives them way more time for these daily tasks than OP... they also have more flexibility so should do jobs which can be easily done during the day

OP I think it's pretty clear you need to live with other adults, these people clearly aren't on the same schedule or wavelength as you
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    My impression was you dont like living with people and need your own place.

I would be unconcerned how much they study or not.
    I would only be bothered where their actions negatively affect my use of the house.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 26, 2018
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.