Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I’m currently in my second year of A levels but due to serious health issues I have now missed almost a whole term whilst on bed rest. I got accepted into an arts uni foundation course (if I achieve 1 a level above a C) and was planning to interview at a college for the same cweekend course. I’m now in a situation where my illness will not improve on time for me to catch up the whole term/deadlines I have missed. So I have 4 choices and I’m really not sure what to do, 1. Attempt to ‘catch up’ this year even though I can no longer easily make a C grade in the only subject I was predicted above C in. 2. I can retake my second A Level year but this means I would lose the opportunity to not have to finance a foundation course (I can’t afford to take this course if it’s not free) and deal with my best friend leaving the college too. 3. Try and get into the arts uni which doesn’t offer much support disability wise but does have extensive art resources and a more dedicated site4. Try and go to the college that I don’t like much but which would provide the course for free, give me support with my disability and is closer to home but only has one room instead of a whole campus dedicated to art subjects Choosing to retake this year or attempting to scrape a place at the college would aid my family financially as well which is making these decisions much more complex.Any advice on this weird situation would be greatly appreciated as I feel like I’m stuck going round and round in circles and the stress is hindering my recovery even more. I have to make my decision soon and I’m currently still unable to do more than a hours work a day if I stay in bed resting or napping for the rest of the day, this means my return to college and starting to catch up is being further delayed and my first exams are in early May and I have to accept or decline my uni placements soon so any advice would be really helpful!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Wheels.23)
    I’m currently in my second year of A levels but due to serious health issues I have now missed almost a whole term whilst on bed rest. I got accepted into an arts uni foundation course (if I achieve 1 a level above a C) and was planning to interview at a college for the same cweekend course. I’m now in a situation where my illness will not improve on time for me to catch up the whole term/deadlines I have missed.

So I have 4 choices and I’m really not sure what to do,

1. Attempt to ‘catch up’ this year even though I can no longer easily make a C grade in the only subject I was predicted above C in.

2. I can retake my second A Level year but this means I would lose the opportunity to not have to finance a foundation course (I can’t afford to take this course if it’s not free) and deal with my best friend leaving the college too.

3. Try and get into the arts uni which doesn’t offer much support disability wise but does have extensive art resources and a more dedicated site

4. Try and go to the college that I don’t like much but which would provide the course for free, give me support with my disability and is closer to home but only has one room instead of a whole campus dedicated to art subjects Choosing to retake this year or attempting to scrape a place at the college would aid my family financially as well which is making these decisions much more complex.

Any advice on this weird situation would be greatly appreciated as I feel like I’m stuck going round and round in circles and the stress is hindering my recovery even more.

I have to make my decision soon and I’m currently still unable to do more than a hours work a day if I stay in bed resting or napping for the rest of the day, this means my return to college and starting to catch up is being further delayed and my first exams are in early May and I have to accept or decline my uni placements soon so any advice would be really helpful!

Wheels I just needed to tidy up the solid block of text and put the formatting back in. Will answer the questions later in the day when have had a think about it. Probably this evening.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Wheels.23)
    I’m currently in my second year of A levels but due to serious health issues I have now missed almost a whole term whilst on bed rest. I got accepted into an arts uni foundation course (if I achieve 1 a level above a C) and was planning to interview at a college for the same cweekend course. I’m now in a situation where my illness will not improve on time for me to catch up the whole term/deadlines I have missed.

So I have 4 choices and I’m really not sure what to do,

1. Attempt to ‘catch up’ this year even though I can no longer easily make a C grade in the only subject I was predicted above C in.

2. I can retake my second A Level year but this means I would lose the opportunity to not have to finance a foundation course (I can’t afford to take this course if it’s not free) and deal with my best friend leaving the college too.

3. Try and get into the arts uni which doesn’t offer much support disability wise but does have extensive art resources and a more dedicated site

4. Try and go to the college that I don’t like much but which would provide the course for free, give me support with my disability and is closer to home but only has one room instead of a whole campus dedicated to art subjects Choosing to retake this year or attempting to scrape a place at the college would aid my family financially as well which is making these decisions much more complex.

Any advice on this weird situation would be greatly appreciated as I feel like I’m stuck going round and round in circles and the stress is hindering my recovery even more.

I have to make my decision soon and I’m currently still unable to do more than a hours work a day if I stay in bed resting or napping for the rest of the day, this means my return to college and starting to catch up is being further delayed and my first exams are in early May and I have to accept or decline my uni placements soon so any advice would be really helpful!

Hi Wheelz have had a think, so you need to go through your options one by one and look at he pros and cons.

0. Career
    One of the things that struck me is with todays degrees it is a big financial commitment, from now on decisions you make and qualifications you take will costs many thousands of £s that you will be repaying over 30 years.

It is imperative, that you do the degree or FE for you and in addition have an idea what you are going to do with that qualification.

Careers research and direction is essential otherwise you are going to find yourself with £70,000 worth of debt for 30 years and realise it doesnt get you a job. You have to make your choice of degree very carefully. Imo it needs to be of some practical use as a qualification.

1. Choice 1 struggle through and get a C. Imo this is a poor choice as you wont do yourself justice plus it will be a struggle. One A level out of three wont get you far, so you are selling yourself short.

Imo get yourself better. Note I dont know the nature of your disability.

2. [later]

3.Is there only one arts uni? Couldnt you find the best course or are you limited geographically? Wont you be limited by A levels? Extra stress when you arent well? Long term it sounds possible.

4. College sounds convenient, but you dont seem keen and it sounds like settling for second best?

The choice is always yours, but I would pick 2 and just retake the year.
    Why?

I). Less stress.
    ii) Does yourself justice.
    iii)Allows you to get better.
    iv)Free
    v) Benefits to family.
    vi) Good A levels will mean getting into a better uni. there may be ones that have the resources and support you need.
    vii)More career and course options with A levels. You may decide you want a different course that is art related, but you need decent or three A levels for. i.e you might want to do a design course rather than straight art.

Retaking the year sounds by far the most sensible option. I dont know the nature of your health issue, but sometimes these things happen and you are faced with new options. You have to deal with it and retaking the year seem by far the most sensible solution. Dont look at it as a setback, but as a smart decision that gets you where you want to go, even though it might take longer. All the other options sound poor. It is not a race, just a journey that will take a bit longer. The important point is whether you get to your destination.

Hope that has given you enough food for thought. It is the option I would take without hesitation, but your choice.

Ps if you are really keen on Art, then no harm in improving your portfolio plus researching courses and careers.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.