Turn on thread page Beta

Cardiff vs Liverpool for LLB Law watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I would like to know between Cardiff University and University of Liverpool, which Uni has a better reputation and more preferably when it comes to finding a job in the UK as a lawyer. I understand both university are from Russell group and their rankings are similar, liverpool gives generous amount of scholarship and Cardiff does not. I would like to seek for advice which would be better in terms of environment,transportation, campus, lecturers, and most importantly reputation. Thank you. Hope someone will be able to help out.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Annonymous8811)
    Hi, I would like to know between Cardiff University and University of Liverpool, which Uni has a better reputation and more preferably when it comes to finding a job in the UK as a lawyer. I understand both university are from Russell group and their rankings are similar, but liverpool gives generous amount of scholarship and Cardiff does not. I would like to seek for advice which would be better in terms of environment,transportation, campus, lecturers, and most importantly reputation. Thank you.
    Is there any reason why you cnat go to the open days?
    Have you posted it on their respective uni forums?
    They are similar in rep so that wont make any difference and you should look at other factors like course structure and which city you like. If you get a scholarship, then that could well be enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Is there any reason why you cnat go to the open days?
    Have you posted it on their respective uni forums?
    They are similar in rep so that wont make any difference and you should look at other factors like course structure and which city you like. If you get a scholarship, then that could well be enough.
    I don’t live in EU/UK. So I can’t visit the campus myself. Their course structure are pretty much similar, that’s why I’m still hesitating 😢 but thanks though!
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    I don’t live in EU/UK. So I can’t visit the campus myself. Their course structure are pretty much similar, that’s why I’m still hesitating 😢 but thanks though!
    Look at youtube videos for both unis and cities. people and students often put them up these days which are ideal for internationals.

What nationality are you? You can see if they have a society for expats from your country in the student union.

Post on the respective forums or ask to be put in contact with law students on each course.

As far as rep is concerned then I dont think it will make a difference. there are only a handful of elite unis where it does.

If it comes down to price then Liverpool by your research has the advantage on that. I will see if I can look at the courses later to see if theres much difference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Look at youtube videos for both unis and cities. people and students often put them up these days which are ideal for internationals.

What nationality are you? You can see if they have a society for expats from your country in the student union.

Post on the respective forums or ask to be put in contact with law students on each course.

As far as rep is concerned then I dont think it will make a difference. there are only a handful of elite unis where it does.

If it comes down to price then Liverpool by your research has the advantage on that. I will see if I can look at the courses later to see if theres much difference.
    I watched a few videos, it’s pretty similar imo cause I’m fine with both city.
    I’m from Singapore! But as far as I know, their student union in Cardiff is really strong. I’ll try to get more opinions
    Some people are saying Cardiff graduates are more preferable than liverpool, I honestly don’t know if it’s true. In addition, in Cardiff there is only final exam while in Liverpool it is divided into 2 semesters, so 2 final exams.

As for the price, the scholarships are not guaranteed, but at least there’s a chance to try.
    Thank you so much for helping me out! Do share some information with me if you could 😄

ReputationRep:
    I watched a few videos, it’s pretty similar imo cause I’m fine with both city.
    I’m from Singapore! But as far as I know, their student union in Cardiff is really strong. I’ll try to get more opinions
    Some people are saying Cardiff graduates are more preferable than liverpool, I honestly don’t know if it’s true. In addition, in Cardiff there is only final exam while in Liverpool it is divided into 2 semesters, so 2 final exams.

As for the price, the scholarships are not guaranteed, but at least there’s a chance to try.
    Thank you so much for helping me out! Do share some information with me if you could 😄
    If you're from Singapore, you should note that neither Cardiff or Liverpool is approved by Singapore's Ministry of Law. See here.

If you want to work solely in the UK, that should not cause a problem. Personally I think you should consider one of the approved courses just in case you have no success with City firms. Birmingham, Warwick, Nottingham and QMUL are all places which give offers quite liberally! You should consider those. For UK practice, the name of the uni does not matter so much. While uni name might not matter so much, you probably want to be around motivated and determined people as far as possible. You're probably going to find more people predisposed to City practice at Cardiff.

Do consider scholarships and all the rest of it too. Also if you do some research into Liverpool's modules, you will see that not all of its courses are actually examined twice. Most of the core modules are, tort/contract etc, but not all are. This might mean your student experience will be easier at Liverpool, i.e. you'll get easier grades (partly because semester 1 papers are commonly seen exams which you prepare answers for in advance).

However, the benefit of one final exam is that you only have to prepare in-depth for one performance. You only need to be expert in 4/5 contract topics to get 65+%. With more exams, you'll have to cover more content. Also with one final exam, the people leading the module put more thought and effort in drafting that one exam. With 2 assessments, which the lectures must be organised around, it is easier for module leaders to make mistakes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notoriety)
    If you're from Singapore, you should note that neither Cardiff or Liverpool is approved by Singapore's Ministry of Law. See here.

If you want to work solely in the UK, that should not cause a problem. Personally I think you should consider one of the approved courses just in case you have no success with City firms. Birmingham, Warwick, Nottingham and QMUL are all places which give offers quite liberally! You should consider those. For UK practice, the name of the uni does not matter so much. While uni name might not matter so much, you probably want to be around motivated and determined people as far as possible. You're probably going to find more people predisposed to City practice at Cardiff.

Do consider scholarships and all the rest of it too. Also if you do some research into Liverpool's modules, you will see that not all of its courses are actually examined twice. Most of the core modules are, tort/contract etc, but not all are. This might mean your student experience will be easier at Liverpool, i.e. you'll get easier grades (partly because semester 1 papers are commonly seen exams which you prepare answers for in advance).

However, the benefit of one final exam is that you only have to prepare in-depth for one performance. You only need to be expert in 4/5 contract topics to get 65+%. With more exams, you'll have to cover more content. Also with one final exam, the people leading the module put more thought and effort in drafting that one exam. With 2 assessments, which the lectures must be organised around, it is easier for module leaders to make mistakes.
    Oh sorry I forgot to mention that I’m actually studying in malaysia now and I’m on a transfer programme, so I only have few university to apply to. Hence, I shortlisted it to Cardiff and liverpool.
    In a way, you’re saying it’s easier to score in Liverpool than in Cardiff right? I heard about this from many people too. The amount of scholarship liverpool offers is a lot though (if I succeed 😂) That’s why I’m considering the reputation and teachings of both universities. I think environment is important too.
    Thank you so much for your advice, I’ll take into accounts all of those! And hopefully I’ll get to make a decision soon

Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.