Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, my friends and I have different university choices. Till now, I found no one intending to go the university of my choice. As I’m an international student, studying abroad may be a challenge and I’m afraid that it’ll be difficult to make friends when I get to the UK. When I feel homesick or need someone to be there for me, I’ll be alone. Any advice for me? Should I go to the university my friends are going instead? Since both the university are ranked about the same.

ReputationRep:
    First of all, do not go to a different university just because your friends are. If the one you are planing on will be better for your specific needs, then you should definetly attend that university. And about the whole making friends thing: I 100% promise you that their will be other people new to this university that also don't know anyone. Honestly, that is the case for MANY new college students. Hope this helped😊
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MiaJean)
    First of all, do not go to a different university just because your friends are. If the one you are planing on will be better for your specific needs, then you should definetly attend that university. And about the whole making friends thing: I 100% promise you that their will be other people new to this university that also don't know anyone. Honestly, that is the case for MANY new college students. Hope this helped😊
    Hey, thank you for your advice! Definitely made me feel better. Hopefully everything will turn out fine if I choose to attend the university of my preferred choice. 🤞🏻

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annonymous8811)
    Hi, my friends and I have different university choices. Till now, I found no one intending to go the university of my choice. As I’m an international student, studying abroad may be a challenge and I’m afraid that it’ll be difficult to make friends when I get to the UK. When I feel homesick or need someone to be there for me, I’ll be alone. Any advice for me? Should I go to the university my friends are going instead? Since both the university are ranked about the same.
    Go with your gut instinct! You are braver than you think, you are bound to make new friends if you go to the university of your choice. It's a perfect opportunity to develop as a person and you can become more independent! Trust me, you won't be the only student who doesn't know anyone;you can meet new people and try different things if you go to the university of your choice😊

I hope that my advice has been helpful😊

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Georgia Brown)
    Go with your gut instinct! You are braver than you think, you are bound to make new friends if you go to the university of your choice. It's a perfect opportunity to develop as a person and you can become more independent! Trust me, you won't be the only student who doesn't know anyone;you can meet new people and try different things if you go to the university of your choice😊

I hope that my advice has been helpful😊
    Thank you for your kind words! Hopefully my choice of university will be a decision that I’ll never regret. Fingers crossed 🤞🏻

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your kind words! Hopefully my choice of university will be a decision that I’ll never regret. Fingers crossed 🤞🏻
    Good luck and you're welcome!😊
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Don't worry about it. I'm a Home student and no one from my school is at my university! I've made plenty of friends without any trouble.

As you're an international student. they'll be plenty of events tailored for you to meet other internationals and to learn more about Britain possibly even before Freshers/Welcome week.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue_Cow)
    Don't worry about it. I'm a Home student and no one from my school is at my university! I've made plenty of friends without any trouble.

As you're an international student. they'll be plenty of events tailored for you to meet other internationals and to learn more about Britain possibly even before Freshers/Welcome week.
    Ahh hopefully I’ll meet friendly people at UK 🤞🏻 Thank you so much!!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Ahh hopefully I’ll meet friendly people at UK 🤞🏻 Thank you so much!!
    We are all (mostly) a friendly bunch!

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.