I have offers from Edinburgh, Glasgow, Kings, Durham. Birmingham
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Alishadordi)
    I have offers from Edinburgh, Glasgow, Kings, Durham. Birmingham
    And what is it that matters to you in a living and study environment?

ReputationRep:
    Congrats. What subject, and how attainable are their conditions? Ie. Will you get the grades?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    And what is it that matters to you in a living and study environment?

I will be joining as an overseas international student - never lived away from home .
    Ofcourse prestige of the University matters but other things like the diversity of the student community , good student faculty ratio, good quality campus accommodation ... these are also important.

Furthermore Biological science Research possibilities and campus recruitment/ University with placement partnerships

these are things i am exploring too. But am so confused as i have never been to UK and dont have anybody with local knowledge from there to advis eon.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    I will be joining as an overseas international student - never lived away from home .
    Ofcourse prestige of the University matters but other things like the diversity of the student community , good student faculty ratio, good quality campus accommodation ... these are also important.

Furthermore Biological science Research possibilities and campus recruitment/ University with placement partnerships

these are things i am exploring too. But am so confused as i have never been to UK and dont have anybody with local knowledge from there to advis eon.
    Do you want to live in a big city or a smaller one? What would you want from a city?

Do you mind catching buses/trains to get to university or do you want to live walking/cycling distance away?

Do you want to study in a city centre or in a campus in the outskirts?

They’re all excellent universities - but which one most suits YOU is the important thing.

Particularly if you have never lived alone before. You need to find somewhere that will feel in some way familiar.

ReputationRep:
    Pick the one that best suits you - like what PQ said

ReputationRep:
    So, ranked for research in Biological Sciences in UK (2018):

Edinburgh #27
    Kings #36
    Glasgow #80
    Durham #96
    Birmingham #141

https://www.timeshighereducation.com...sc/cols/scores

But that's only one perspective, on one variable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrSocSciences)
    Congrats. What subject, and how attainable are their conditions? Ie. Will you get the grades?
    Thank you
    The conditions and grades are very attainable for me as my predicted grades are pretty good.

But i am so confused which Uni to choose as all are good Universities in terms of overall prestige and subject matter too.

Its the Other things like quality of campus accommodation, student satisfaction , quality teaching faculty and support system, safety,
    that i have littleinfo to base my choice on

ReputationRep:
    Thank you
    The conditions and grades are very attainable for me as my predicted grades are pretty good.

But i am so confused which Uni to choose as all are good Universities in terms of overall prestige and subject matter too.

Its the Other things like quality of campus accommodation, student satisfaction , quality teaching faculty and support system, safety,
    that i have littleinfo to base my choice on
    Ok so you could rank your concerns and see how the various options rate for each of those factors. And then see how you feel about the results that arise from that method. Trouble is, when assessing accommodation, it's too early to know what you might be allocated, so you'll need to look at bigger picture issues like collegiate vs non-collegiate, campus vs non-campus environments.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrSocSciences)
    Ok so you could rank your concerns and see how the various options rate for each of those factors. And then see how you feel about the results that arise from that method. Trouble is, when assessing accommodation, it's too early to know what you might be allocated, so you'll need to look at bigger picture issues like collegiate vs non-collegiate, campus vs non-campus environments.
    Definitely a campus environment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Do you want to live in a big city or a smaller one? What would you want from a city?

Do you mind catching buses/trains to get to university or do you want to live walking/cycling distance away?

Do you want to study in a city centre or in a campus in the outskirts?

They’re all excellent universities - but which one most suits YOU is the important thing.

Particularly if you have never lived alone before. You need to find somewhere that will feel in some way familiar.
    For me :
    Smaller city is fine
    Would want my campus to be walking distance like 15 mins or so
    campus accommodation and campus Environment will be my choice.

ReputationRep:
    For me :
    Smaller city is fine
    Would want my campus to be walking distance like 15 mins or so
    campus accommodation and campus Environment will be my choice.
    Looking at the rankings for the subject, Kings and Edinburgh look like the best choices but they are very different. Kings is in London- much less of a campus feel and accommodation is likely to be a bit of a distance (but I could be wrong). I have no clue about Edinburgh but its likely to be more of a campus feel since it's not in a as busy place like London.

Have you thought about living costs? living in a place like London is very costly.
    I would weigh up all the universities and see what is most important to you - research each of them thoroughly

ReputationRep:
    Okay so I only know about Glasgow and Edinburgh, but between them I'd definitely pick Glasgow.

Edinburgh is probably more prestigious, but Glasgow's great for biological sciences so I don't think it matters a lot. Glasgow is the larger city, but the university's located in a nice neighbourhood and even though the city's big, it also felt very laid-back, whereas Edinburgh was awfully busy (I visited in October - it's probably worse in peak season). Neither can really be described as campus unis, but Edinburgh has buildings in several locations so you'd be spending quite some time getting from one part of the city to another, whereas with Glasgow most buildings are in one place. I personally found the environment at Edinburgh a bit posh and pretentious, whereas Glasgow university had a really nice environment and the degrees are also really flexible, if you'll be doing undergrad, that is.

I sadly don't know anything about the other three unis but maybe this still helps!
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    In terms of travel:

For kings you’ll be commuting (maybe not in your first year if you’re lucky for halls but in later years you’ll be renting out and that means beyond walking distance).
    Edinburgh halls are at a distance from the university buildings. So again a bus or tram trip.
    Birmingham should be fine to get halls or rented accommodation within walking distance.
    Durham is small and you won’t be walking too long.
    Glasgow sounds like it might also be a good option (although I don’t know what the distances are like).

ReputationRep:
    I agree I think that the degree aspect is not a big factor (rankings) as you obviously chose these universities based on what you wanted to do. Therefore I believe that it's based on your personal choice because you are going to be living in whichever place you choose for at least a 3-4 years so just research the areas and see which place you can see yourself living and enjoying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PinkUnicornQueen)
    Looking at the rankings for the subject, Kings and Edinburgh look like the best choices but they are very different. Kings is in London- much less of a campus feel and accommodation is likely to be a bit of a distance (but I could be wrong). I have no clue about Edinburgh but its likely to be more of a campus feel since it's not in a as busy place like London.

Have you thought about living costs? living in a place like London is very costly.
    I would weigh up all the universities and see what is most important to you - research each of them thoroughly
    I know London city would be too expensive - besides although Kings is my preferred place the scattered accommodation is what deters me from choosing it.

Edinburgh seems a possibility but need more local info about the distances

For my Firm choice - battle is between Edinburgh & Glasgow ? CONFUSED

For my insurance - Battle is between Birmingham & runners up from the firm choice. CONFUSED
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I’d go durham but its whatever you like the feel of
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    In terms of travel:

For kings you’ll be commuting (maybe not in your first year if you’re lucky for halls but in later years you’ll be renting out and that means beyond walking distance).
    Edinburgh halls are at a distance from the university buildings. So again a bus or tram trip.
    Birmingham should be fine to get halls or rented accommodation within walking distance.
    Durham is small and you won’t be walking too long.
    Glasgow sounds like it might also be a good option (although I don’t know what the distances are like).
    Glasgow has offered me a hefty scholarship & a second year entry ( provided i get the grades ofcourse )

Kings i know the accommodation is all scattered and not a campus environment , besides London being too expensive , which is sad or else it would surely have been my firm choice.

tending to lean towards:
    for firm - Edinburg OR Glasgow
    back up - Birgmingham(student community diversity is a pluspoint ) OR runners up from the firm choice

other thing is the course duration 4 years( Scotland ) VS 3 years ( England )

What shd i do ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blueamaraxx)
    I’d go durham but its whatever you like the feel of
    thanks - but u see thats the whole issue i dont know the feel of any of these places . I am an overseas student and never been to the UK.
    I cannot attend any of these open days as i have School going on and Mocks etc happening

ReputationRep:
    Glasgow has offered me a hefty scholarship & a second year entry ( provided i get the grades ofcourse )

Kings i know the accommodation is all scattered and not a campus environment , besides London being too expensive , which is sad or else it would surely have been my firm choice.

tending to lean towards:
    for firm - Edinburg OR Glasgow
    back up - Birgmingham(student community diversity is a pluspoint ) OR runners up from the firm choice

other thing is the course duration 4 years( Scotland ) VS 3 years ( England )

What shd i do ?
    From what's been discussed Glasgow sounds like a good firm choice for you as it has all the things you want (environment etc.). Course duration shouldn't be a problem if they are offering you second-year entry? (or is that taking second year entry into account) but yeah, I think Glasgow is a good firm choice

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Life Sciences Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.