Turn on thread page Beta

Chances of acceptance despite not meeting conditional offer watch

ReputationRep:
    I need some advice please! I have one conditional offer to read Law at Bristol given that I meet their AAA/A criteria and have made it my firm choice. However I've unexpectedly missed the mark by one grade and ended up with an AAB/B instead. I'm now super worried because Bristol's my only offer and I don't have any insurance choice (rejected by the rest)

1) Which department should I send my results to?

2) Should I provide an explanation/statement to "persuade" Bristol to give me a chance or would that just make things even worst?

3) What are my chances of getting in despite missing the required grades?

4) Should the worst really occur and I end up getting rejected, will I still stand a chance via UCAS Extra/Clearing to read Law at unis like Warwick, Nottingham, Brimmingham, Queen Mary?

Really at a lost now, very much devastated and worried that my dream of becoming a lawyer is going to get crushed. I understand that there are other UK unis with lower requirements where I can get get a law degree from. However, unfortunately I'm an international student and the country I reside in only recognizes a small handful of U.K. Universities whereby graduates are then allowed to practice Law, hence my choices are really limited.

I would very much appreciate if anyone could give me some tips. Thanks for taking the time to read through my lengthy message

ReputationRep:
    Beg, plead, persuade.

It does depend on the cohort and year, but usually RG universities would still admit if you missed one grade.

People can come out of the woodwork to tell me I'm wrong, and I'm aware university admin sometimes lurk these forums, but I knew people at UCL, KCL, LSE and indeed Bristol who missed their AAA offers and had AAB. Indeed 10 years ago when I was admitted for law and the offers had recently been bumped up to AAA, I knew people at all the aforementioned universities with ABB reading law. I remember that bitterly since I had 4As and Bristol turned me down for my poorer LNAT score (!)

I think universities often allocate a certain number of spots for students and decide internally what sort of slippage they are prepared to allow based on the offer numbers they have handed out.

I would beg them passionately, say you don't know what happened, you missed the mark very, very narrowly indeed, you're looking to appeal, have gone to a terrible comp where the teacher was off on maternity or whatever but did your best and your commitment to a law degree at Bristol is 110% etc.

No one can assess chances of clearing since that also depends on discretion, application numbers and offers given etc. It's a numbers game rather than assessing you purely on your merits.

Best of luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flatlined)
    Beg, plead, persuade.

It does depend on the cohort and year, but usually RG universities would still admit if you missed one grade.

People can come out of the woodwork to tell me I'm wrong, and I'm aware university admin sometimes lurk these forums, but I knew people at UCL, KCL, LSE and indeed Bristol who missed their AAA offers and had AAB. Indeed 10 years ago when I was admitted for law and the offers had recently been bumped up to AAA, I knew people at all the aforementioned universities with ABB reading law. I remember that bitterly since I had 4As and Bristol turned me down for my poorer LNAT score (!)

I think universities often allocate a certain number of spots for students and decide internally what sort of slippage they are prepared to allow based on the offer numbers they have handed out.

I would beg them passionately, say you don't know what happened, you missed the mark very, very narrowly indeed, you're looking to appeal, have gone to a terrible comp where the teacher was off on maternity or whatever but did your best and your commitment to a law degree at Bristol is 110% etc.

No one can assess chances of clearing since that also depends on discretion, application numbers and offers given etc. It's a numbers game rather than assessing you purely on your merits.

Best of luck
    Ah okay thank you so much! I'm going to try my very best to make a convincing argument and pray that they would be willing to give me a chance to persue my dreams of becoming a lawyer :crossedf:

:crossedf::crossedf:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chloe.D)
    Ah okay thank you so much! I'm going to try my very best to make a convincing argument and pray that they would be willing to give me a chance to persue my dreams of becoming a lawyer :crossedf:

:crossedf::crossedf:
    I'm not sure that the legal profession is propelled by prayer. Now is your moment to construct a water-tight rationale for them to accept you.

ReputationRep:
    Bristol. Odds are against you.

Others. Decent chance.

ReputationRep:
    I need some advice please! I have one conditional offer to read Law at Bristol given that I meet their AAA/A criteria and have made it my firm choice. However I've unexpectedly missed the mark by one grade and ended up with an AAB/B instead. I'm now super worried because Bristol's my only offer and I don't have any insurance choice (rejected by the rest)

2) Should I provide an explanation/statement to "persuade" Bristol to give me a chance or would that just make things even worst?

4) Should the worst really occur and I end up getting rejected, will I still stand a chance via UCAS Extra/Clearing to read Law at unis like Warwick, Nottingham, Brimmingham, Queen Mary?

Really at a lost now, very much devastated and worried that my dream of becoming a lawyer is going to get crushed. I understand that there are other UK unis with lower requirements where I can get get a law degree from. However, unfortunately I'm an international student and the country I reside in only recognizes a small handful of U.K. Universities whereby graduates are then allowed to practice Law, hence my choices are really limited.

I would very much appreciate if anyone could give me some tips. Thanks for taking the time to read through my lengthy message
    Depends on how much you missed your grade(s) by, could you get them remarked?
    Otherwise just send emails and plead persistently- wouldn't hurt to call them (tho don't overdo it!)

I v narrowly missed my offer to do law at Cambridge last summer (and though the system's slightly different because you get 'fished' out by another college within the same university), I sent a lot of emails pleading them to take me still, explaining my circumstances and dedication to study law/ readings I've done over Summer- and got fished out by another college in the end- with a B in Maths and a (very low) C in Bio. So yeah, everything is possible- best of luck!

ReputationRep:

Freedom of Information requests can help out massively here. Post an FOI request at https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/, asking for the average number of students taken in by Bristol for the LLB (M100) course in the past, say, five years.

After that, do something similar to what the previous posters said. The fact that you firmed Bristol in the first place looks good - it's a sign of commitment. Some universities track attendance on offer holder days (yet another sign of interest from the applicant), so having gone to their Law offer day thing will have been a positive.

Even the most competitive unis in this country will allow people with narrow misses (or 'technical misses' like getting A*A*C instead of AAA) to enter their course. I have stats for UCL/KCL showing that anywhere from 15-35+ annually people are let into their LLBs having missed their grades. You have a chance.

I'm not sure about the process of UCAS Extra, but I think that you'd have to withdraw from your Bristol offer to be able to enter it. This is a problem, as they'll only likely confirm your place in August, when UK A-level results are out. If you wait until then, the good RGs in Extra or Clearing, like QMUL or Warwick, will have long filled up their additional places, and you'll be forced to go down into 'Unrecognisable Uni #89' territory. So you don't really have much of a backup. Check how the process works either way.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 27, 2018
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.