Turn on thread page Beta

Hi. I have a pretty ugly and bitter relationship with my parents. I always have. They don't appreciate me. They never have. I'm 17 and hardly leave the house because they are too controlling. They like to blame me.for everything and make me feel guilty. I do my best trying to do everything they want but recently I started standing up for myself. I told them how I feel about them. They took my phone and my freedom. They tell me to stay in my room the whole day and have absolutely no sympathy. They like to punish me. No matter how hurt I am they keep hurting. Calling me names and mentally abusing me. I broke down multiple times because of them. Suffer from IBS and have anxiety chest pains. I feel like they're taking me for granted. They think th st everything they do is right even if I am hurt. I told them they lost me and they seem okay with it. They want me to move out yet when I want to run away they won't let me leave and I don't have enough courage to do it. I am 17 and still in school there's not much I can do. They have been like that to my older brother too and he moved out and lost contact with them so there obviously has to be something wrong with them and not me. I find it hard to cope. I feel so lonely and isolated especially when I can't go out. I feel like this is affecting my mental and physical state and I don't know what to do. I mean I've already went to a a counsellor about this and I brought the social workers on my family which made things living Hell for me. Instead of helping it made things unbearable whereby my parents would tell me that they basically want a different daughter and don't love me and all that negative ****. I'm sick of it. I'm hoping to move out soon enough. Find a job after school for the summer and move out but I just need advice to help me get through these few months that are left. Thank you so much for spending some of your time reading this and I hope you can help me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi. I have a pretty ugly and bitter relationship with my parents. I always have. They don't appreciate me. They never have. I'm 17 and hardly leave the house because they are too controlling. They like to blame me.for everything and make me feel guilty. I do my best trying to do everything they want but recently I started standing up for myself. I told them how I feel about them. They took my phone and my freedom. They tell me to stay in my room the whole day and have absolutely no sympathy. They like to punish me. No matter how hurt I am they keep hurting. Calling me names and mentally abusing me. I broke down multiple times because of them. Suffer from IBS and have anxiety chest pains. I feel like they're taking me for granted. They think th st everything they do is right even if I am hurt. I told them they lost me and they seem okay with it. They want me to move out yet when I want to run away they won't let me leave and I don't have enough courage to do it. I am 17 and still in school there's not much I can do. They have been like that to my older brother too and he moved out and lost contact with them so there obviously has to be something wrong with them and not me. I find it hard to cope. I feel so lonely and isolated especially when I can't go out. I feel like this is affecting my mental and physical state and I don't know what to do. I mean I've already went to a a counsellor about this and I brought the social workers on my family which made things living Hell for me. Instead of helping it made things unbearable whereby my parents would tell me that they basically want a different daughter and don't love me and all that negative ****. I'm sick of it. I'm hoping to move out soon enough. Find a job after school for the summer and move out but I just need advice to help me get through these few months that are left. Thank you so much for spending some of your time reading this and I hope you can help me.
    this similarly happened to me. i am almost 17 now and when i was 12, i was removed from my mother because her and her boyfriend were physically abusing both me and my younger brother. this was brought about because i went to school with bruises on my legs from them. Social Services were then called and i moved in permanently with my dad. it was going well until my mental health problems formed and and he never accepted that it was real, he always said that i was doing it for the attention and that he doesn't even believe that my mum even hit me to start with. he would then physically, emotionally and mentally abuse me and when social services finally came involved in 2014 again things just seemed to get worse for us at home. it got to the point that school was my safe place, and the only place on earth that i felt calm. On February 20th 2017 i was removed from my dads along with my brother into Foster Care. we had been removed previously and went back to our dad after a few weeks, but this time it was more serious.
    i have now been with the same foster carers for over a year and things are going well for me, my mental health problems have calmed down. my brother wanted to go back and once the court case was finished he was allowed to do so.
    all can recommend is if social services are still involved you emphasise to them how much this is affecting you and you let them know what it is that YOU want. i am sure that things will work out and if at first it doesn't persevere and push for what you want to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    You're not alone. I've never had a good relationship with my parents and i never will. I'm the youngest of 2 and my brother is by far and away the favourite with my parents taking every opportunity possible to remind me of this throughout my entire life. My brother could getting away with anything which would normally be physically hurting me because he was older and bigger than me for a long time and my parents would always blame it on me no matter how much i was hurt. My parents basically treated me like a second class citizen taking out all of their problems on me because i was the youngest and couldn't do anything about it.Things did start getting better when I started standing up to them. luckily for me when i was 16 I went through puberty and had the physique of a man in his mid 20's. One time i had just had enough of letting my brother bully me so i stood up for myself and ended beating the crap out of him. The same day when my parents tried to yell at me for what i'd done i stood up for myself by just being louder,angrier and just not taking any of there ****. After that day everything changed because they all knew i wouldn't take their **** anymore. When I was 18 I went off to university just to get away from my family and it's probably the best decision I've ever made. I'm not home 7 and a half months of the year and i'm never home long enough for them to even try anything. I'm 20 now and I've got to say Standing up for myself and a consistent basis and just showing I wouldn't let them walk all over me was the best decision I've ever made. I know it sucks now but just keep standing up for yourself. In your situation self-belief is going to be so hard but once you do it it will be so worth it.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 25, 2018
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.