Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    what is it like living in van mildert college
    • Community Assistant

    Community Assistant
    Don't know about Mildert specifically but our pastoral care is quite extensive. Here are some university avenues for support:

    1. College welfare - trained welfare staff of around your age (18-20), have welfare hours and are responsible for welfare within the college community
    2. Student support - provided by an adult at your college, who has experience in handling support-related queries. They have an office and drop-in session hours and are very good with any practical or emotional issues. They are also your first point of call for any financial problems.
    3. Financial support - provided by the Financial Office
    4. Counselling - service provided centrally by the university. You are offered 4 sessions per year. They help you with short-term problems, can give guidance on where to look for further support and are professionally trained adults.
    5. Welfare within societies - societies (LGBT, Trans, DPOCA, Mature Students, Working Class Association) all have their own welfare representative, who has welfare hours and drop-in times (usually once or twice a week). These individuals are trained in peer support and are also available informally eg via text.
    6. Nightline - service from volunteers that runs from 9pm-midnight every day during term time. Text and phone service. Useful for any late-night panic.
    7. Speaking with your personal subject tutor. You'll be assigned one lecturer who works at the department, who you can talk to usually about any work-related or personal issues. You'll also be assigned a student (usually a second or third year) who you can speak to about any course problems or concerns.
    8. Speaking to your head of the department. Usually again for any long-term personal problems that have interfered with academic work, or concerns about your workload.

    There are also the following:

    1. Speaking to your GP (you will register w a local GP on arrival)
    2. NHS mental health support services, talking therapy, CBT/Silvercloud
    3. Private mental health services - by no means have to use this, only if it is within your budget and it appeals to you.
    4. Friends within and outside of the university.
    5. Online support networks

    To be honest I am probably missing some more!! There is loads of help available. I think the only university that offers more per student is very small universities and Oxbridge, but that is offset by the amount of pressure faced at the latter versus the flexibility and relative tranquillity of Durham - work is spread out more and much more manageable, and deadlines are more fluid (extensions are easily sought if needed, with the exceptions of exams and important summative work).
If a uni gives me an unconditional offer they....

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.