Turn on thread page Beta

Do I have autism or social anxiety? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    What’s the differences between the two? Can someone please help me or give me some advice thank you x
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Social anxiety is more about fear and may pass with age or help, unlike autism which can be controlled but will never disappear.

Autism is a condition making it difficult for the person to read social cues and pick up on things like body language and facial expressions, therefore struggling to interpret people's emotions as well as vocalising their own.
    Autistic people may also experience hyper sensitivity (I think it's called) which is when certain sounds that I would find normal and tolerable are unbearably loud to them to the point of flinching or covering their ears in public places. Examples where this may occur are shopping centres or busy streets.
    Hope this helps and if you are worried about it,you should definitely speak to someone.Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by louisaharkness)
    Social anxiety is more about fear and may pass with age or help, unlike autism which can be controlled but will never disappear.

Autism is a condition making it difficult for the person to read social cues and pick up on things like body language and facial expressions, therefore struggling to interpret people's emotions as well as vocalising their own.
    Autistic people may also experience hyper sensitivity (I think it's called) which is when certain sounds that I would find normal and tolerable are unbearably loud to them to the point of flinching or covering their ears in public places. Examples where this may occur are shopping centres or busy streets.
    Hope this helps and if you are worried about it,you should definitely speak to someone.Good luck
    Thank you for this, I’m just not sure I mean I think it’s social anxiety but then I think is it autism like I never used to be like this as much when I was younger ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brad_j_1997)
    Thank you for this, I’m just not sure I mean I think it’s social anxiety but then I think is it autism like I never used to be like this as much when I was younger ...
    Go see a psychologist who will have the expertise to diagnose you. Autism is a life long condition, however the difficulties do tend to get worse at puberty as interactions become more complex and hormones come into the mix.

ReputationRep:
    I have high functioning autism, so I guess I can tell you what I know c":

Autism is a lot broader than just social anxiety. Sure, I absolutely hate making phone calls or having to speak to strangers (my heart rate goes crazy whenever I pick up the phone with intention of calling someone haha) but there's loads more to it. I personally forget to make eye contact with people at times, and sometimes speak way too fast. I also have a few odd things thrown into the mix, such as hypersensitivity to sounds like breathing, clicking and all that.
    So yea
    Go see someone who knows the signs, then they can give you a diagnosis x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kiindling)
    I have high functioning autism, so I guess I can tell you what I know c":

Autism is a lot broader than just social anxiety. Sure, I absolutely hate making phone calls or having to speak to strangers (my heart rate goes crazy whenever I pick up the phone with intention of calling someone haha) but there's loads more to it. I personally forget to make eye contact with people at times, and sometimes speak way too fast. I also have a few odd things thrown into the mix, such as hypersensitivity to sounds like breathing, clicking and all that.
    So yea
    Go see someone who knows the signs, then they can give you a diagnosis x
    Hii, I’m the same with phone calls, sometimes I know I’m not making eye contact and I find it difficult to so I always try too and I’m aware of that... I don’t have the hypersensitivity thing, thank you tho x

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 26, 2018
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.