Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i'm in first year of my four year course at a very credible university. I'm studying an extremely intense course which demands 9-5 in studio everyday and then I go home and have to keep working in order to keep up (even though I'm not keeping up). Since I started in September it's been a visibly rapid slope down. I've become severely depressed and everyday I'm telling myself 'just get through today', I have regular panic attacks and it's impacting my studies significantly. However, lately I've been questioning whether my studies is actually the problem. I studied the same thing at college level and even then I could never keep up and I'm considerably less able than my course mates and I'm not even sure that I like what I'm studying. I'm generally so so unhappy that I couldn't be anymore unhappy. Tutors are aware I'm having a hard time but I've not said anything about my doubts towards my course. The worst part is that my family think I'm really happy and doing really well when the reality is very much the opposite, dropping out is not an option I cannot disappoint them and even then I don't know if I'd regret it, plus I have no idea what I'd even do because this is all I've known since I left school... I think it's too late to see if I can transfer to a different course. I'm so so confused and unhappy I don't know what to do but I do know that if I could drop out without affecting anyone or anything I'd do it in a heartbeat.

ReputationRep:
    To be perfectly honest you need to know whats making you unhappy, whether its that you don't have enough me time or anything else ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eellizabeth)
    i'm in first year of my four year course at a very credible university. I'm studying an extremely intense course which demands 9-5 in studio everyday and then I go home and have to keep working in order to keep up (even though I'm not keeping up). Since I started in September it's been a visibly rapid slope down. I've become severely depressed and everyday I'm telling myself 'just get through today', I have regular panic attacks and it's impacting my studies significantly. However, lately I've been questioning whether my studies is actually the problem. I studied the same thing at college level and even then I could never keep up and I'm considerably less able than my course mates and I'm not even sure that I like what I'm studying. I'm generally so so unhappy that I couldn't be anymore unhappy. Tutors are aware I'm having a hard time but I've not said anything about my doubts towards my course. The worst part is that my family think I'm really happy and doing really well when the reality is very much the opposite, dropping out is not an option I cannot disappoint them and even then I don't know if I'd regret it, plus I have no idea what I'd even do because this is all I've known since I left school... I think it's too late to see if I can transfer to a different course. I'm so so confused and unhappy I don't know what to do but I do know that if I could drop out without affecting anyone or anything I'd do it in a heartbeat.
    See if you can get the first year done - you only have a few months. Then if you decide to leave - at least you have the credits.

Life to too short to be miserable
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by eellizabeth)
    You should tell your family. They will support you in any way they can.

Are you eating well? Sleeping well? Have you made many friends that you can speak to?

It's not too late to transfer to another course. You get funding for the number of years your degree lasts + one extra 'gift' year for resits/degree transfers.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.