best medical speciality for someone who likes diagnosis ( apart from GP)

Watch
brainstem
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I like figuring out what is wrong, having a think. Like a detective, putting the puzzle pieces together.
AlanAnonymouss
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Radiology?
brainstem
Rep:
?
(Original post by AlanAnonymouss)
Radiology?
why radiology?
AlanAnonymouss
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by brainstem)
why radiology?
Radiologists interpret medical images and have to figure out what’s wrong. The images radiologists deal with are usually quite challenging
brainstem
Rep:
?
(Original post by AlanAnonymouss)
Radiologists interpret medical images and have to figure out what’s wrong. The images radiologists deal with are usually quite challenging
cool
Nottie
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Every medical speciality is about diagnosis.
brainstem
Rep:
?
(Original post by ecolier)
Neurology?

But (1) they have very limited history, relying from the referrer rather than the patient and (2) they don't take part in the management. Personally I wouldn't want to be just "part" of the investigation process.
so there is more in neuro?
brainstem
Rep:
?
(Original post by Nottie)
Every medical speciality is about diagnosis.
lol you know what I mean
brainstem
Rep:
?
There is more... what?
diagnosis. more about diagnosis
Nottie
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
lol you know what I mean
No, not really.
I don't know what you expect people to tell you.
You want something like puzzles? Try dermatology
You don't really like the outpatient character of derm? Try A&E
Not keen on talking to patients? Histopathology is all about spotting things.
Prefer children to adult? Any paeds speciality
Want to also solve patients problems quickly? General surgery
Decoding ECGs is your thing? Cardiology

There are endless options and if your only criteria is diagnosis you really haven't narrowed it down at all.
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
diagnosis. more about diagnosis
https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/exp...cine/neurology

Nature of the work
Neurologists treat any disease of the body’s systems that affects neurological function. High blood pressure, for example, is a cardiac problem, but if it causes a stroke (a sudden loss of blood supply to the brain) the problem becomes a neurological one as well.

Neurologists also treat infectious disease such as meningitis which can cause brain damage and lead to complications like epilepsy. They also treat peripheral nerve diseases which may result in weakness or sensory impairment.

In many cases, the diagnosis of new patients with neurological problems is by clinical assessment alone (taking a thorough history of the symptoms and physical examination), though in others there may be a need for further investigation such as blood tests, scans (CT or MRI) and electrical tests which measure peripheral nerve and muscle function. Patients are followed up either to clarify the diagnosis or alternatively to manage longer term problems.

Examples of conditions which require long term follow-up are epilepsy, multiple sclerosis and Parkinson’s disease.

The process of diagnosis is becoming ever more sophisticated with improved imaging and other types of tests including genetic testing. Available treatments are broadening too with improvements in existing therapy as well as new treatments such as those to modify the disease in multiple sclerosis.

Over 5,000 neurological diseases have been identified.
brainstem
Rep:
?
(Original post by Nottie)
No, not really.
I don't know what you expect people to tell you.
You want something like puzzles? Try dermatology
You don't really like the outpatient character of derm? Try A&E
Not keen on talking to patients? Histopathology is all about spotting things.
Prefer children to adult? Any paeds speciality
Want to also solve patients problems quickly? General surgery
Decoding ECGs is your thing? Cardiology

There are endless options and if your only criteria is diagnosis you really haven't narrowed it down at all.
A&E doesn't really seem like something where you can sit down and think and work things out, like i said in the OP lol. seems a lot more fast-paced. looking for something where I can sit down, look at all the clues and come to a diagnosis. Want most of my job to be about diagnosis. Surgery is not about diagnosis either, that is the actual doing, the immediate fix, rather than sitting and thinking about what to do, surely.
brainstem
Rep:
?
https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/exp...cine/neurology

Nature of the work
Neurologists treat any disease of the body’s systems that affects neurological function. High blood pressure, for example, is a cardiac problem, but if it causes a stroke (a sudden loss of blood supply to the brain) the problem becomes a neurological one as well.

Neurologists also treat infectious disease such as meningitis which can cause brain damage and lead to complications like epilepsy. They also treat peripheral nerve diseases which may result in weakness or sensory impairment.

In many cases, the diagnosis of new patients with neurological problems is by clinical assessment alone (taking a thorough history of the symptoms and physical examination), though in others there may be a need for further investigation such as blood tests, scans (CT or MRI) and electrical tests which measure peripheral nerve and muscle function. Patients are followed up either to clarify the diagnosis or alternatively to manage longer term problems.

Examples of conditions which require long term follow-up are epilepsy, multiple sclerosis and Parkinson’s disease.

The process of diagnosis is becoming ever more sophisticated with improved imaging and other types of tests including genetic testing. Available treatments are broadening too with improvements in existing therapy as well as new treatments such as those to modify the disease in multiple sclerosis.

Over 5,000 neurological diseases have been identified.
nice
brainstem
Rep:
?
ecolier I have heard in neuro, often it is hard to come to a conclusion though on what the problem is.
brainstem
Rep:
?
Not really, we always strive to come to a conclusion. There are puzzles (which I thought is what you are looking for anyway?) but then they only make you more interested in the specialty!
nice, yeah. i want to do the detective work.
brainstem
Rep:
?
I think any medical (internal medicine) specialty would be good, but if you are looking as a "detective" figuring out what the diagnosis is, our specialty is probably one of the top in your list.

Dermatology is also one, :cry: that @nottie didn't mention neurology in her list...
part of me is crying inside for you too
brainstem
Rep:
?
the problem is neuro and derm ( especially) ( and others) are all so competitive. got to do lots of stuff throughout medical school dedicated to one to show my interest.
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'd say all the pathology specialties are very diagnosis oriented with some offering more scope for patient management and interaction than others e.g. haematology or immunology vs histopathology.

I think radiology is also up there and again has a reasonable amount of focused patient contact if that's what you're after.

Some general medical specialties do strike me as rather detective work-y too e.g. rheumatology or infectious diseases.
brainstem
Rep:
?
(Original post by Democracy)
I'd say all the pathology specialties are very diagnosis oriented with some offering more scope for patient management and interaction than others e.g. haematology or immunology vs histopathology.

I think radiology is also up there and again has a reasonable amount of focused patient contact if that's what you're after.

Some general medical specialties do strike me as rather detective work-y too e.g. rheumatology or infectious diseases.
nice, thanks
Aaminah.1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I like figuring out what is wrong, having a think. Like a detective, putting the puzzle pieces together.
I’d say neurosurgeon because they can plan and plan to figure out what’s wrong but once the skull cap is removed, the plan goes out the window because seeing the brain changes everything. It’s all about looking at the brain and figuring out how to fix it without damaging it. Like a huge puzzle. (That is if you wanna be seeing brains hahaah)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (9)
6.16%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (24)
16.44%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (25)
17.12%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (21)
14.38%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (41)
28.08%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (26)
17.81%

Watched Threads