Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I like figuring out what is wrong, having a think. Like a detective, putting the puzzle pieces together.

ReputationRep:
    Radiology?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlanAnonymouss)
    Radiology?
    why radiology?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brainstem)
    why radiology?
    Radiologists interpret medical images and have to figure out what’s wrong. The images radiologists deal with are usually quite challenging
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Radiologists interpret medical images and have to figure out what’s wrong. The images radiologists deal with are usually quite challenging
    cool
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I like figuring out what is wrong, having a think. Like a detective, putting the puzzle pieces together.
    Neurology?

Radiology?

But (1) they have very limited history, relying from the referrer rather than the patient and (2) they don't take part in the management*. Personally I wouldn't want to be just "part" of the investigation process.

*They do, but only when referred... (e.g. asked to coil an aneurysm / do a thrombectomy)

ReputationRep:
    Every medical speciality is about diagnosis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ecolier)
    Neurology?

But (1) they have very limited history, relying from the referrer rather than the patient and (2) they don't take part in the management. Personally I wouldn't want to be just "part" of the investigation process.
    so there is more in neuro?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    so there is more in neuro?
    There is more... what?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nottie)
    Every medical speciality is about diagnosis.
    lol you know what I mean

ReputationRep:
    There is more... what?
    diagnosis. more about diagnosis

ReputationRep:
    lol you know what I mean
    No, not really.
    I don't know what you expect people to tell you.
    You want something like puzzles? Try dermatology
    You don't really like the outpatient character of derm? Try A&E
    Not keen on talking to patients? Histopathology is all about spotting things.
    Prefer children to adult? Any paeds speciality
    Want to also solve patients problems quickly? General surgery
    Decoding ECGs is your thing? Cardiology

There are endless options and if your only criteria is diagnosis you really haven't narrowed it down at all.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    diagnosis. more about diagnosis
    https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/exp...cine/neurology

Nature of the work
    Neurologists treat any disease of the body’s systems that affects neurological function. High blood pressure, for example, is a cardiac problem, but if it causes a stroke (a sudden loss of blood supply to the brain) the problem becomes a neurological one as well.

Neurologists also treat infectious disease such as meningitis which can cause brain damage and lead to complications like epilepsy. They also treat peripheral nerve diseases which may result in weakness or sensory impairment.

In many cases, the diagnosis of new patients with neurological problems is by clinical assessment alone (taking a thorough history of the symptoms and physical examination), though in others there may be a need for further investigation such as blood tests, scans (CT or MRI) and electrical tests which measure peripheral nerve and muscle function. Patients are followed up either to clarify the diagnosis or alternatively to manage longer term problems.

Examples of conditions which require long term follow-up are epilepsy, multiple sclerosis and Parkinson’s disease.

The process of diagnosis is becoming ever more sophisticated with improved imaging and other types of tests including genetic testing. Available treatments are broadening too with improvements in existing therapy as well as new treatments such as those to modify the disease in multiple sclerosis.

Over 5,000 neurological diseases have been identified.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nottie)
    No, not really.
    I don't know what you expect people to tell you.
    You want something like puzzles? Try dermatology
    You don't really like the outpatient character of derm? Try A&E
    Not keen on talking to patients? Histopathology is all about spotting things.
    Prefer children to adult? Any paeds speciality
    Want to also solve patients problems quickly? General surgery
    Decoding ECGs is your thing? Cardiology

There are endless options and if your only criteria is diagnosis you really haven't narrowed it down at all.
    A&E doesn't really seem like something where you can sit down and think and work things out, like i said in the OP lol. seems a lot more fast-paced. looking for something where I can sit down, look at all the clues and come to a diagnosis. Want most of my job to be about diagnosis. Surgery is not about diagnosis either, that is the actual doing, the immediate fix, rather than sitting and thinking about what to do, surely.

ReputationRep:
    https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/exp...cine/neurology

Nature of the work
    Neurologists treat any disease of the body’s systems that affects neurological function. High blood pressure, for example, is a cardiac problem, but if it causes a stroke (a sudden loss of blood supply to the brain) the problem becomes a neurological one as well.

Neurologists also treat infectious disease such as meningitis which can cause brain damage and lead to complications like epilepsy. They also treat peripheral nerve diseases which may result in weakness or sensory impairment.

In many cases, the diagnosis of new patients with neurological problems is by clinical assessment alone (taking a thorough history of the symptoms and physical examination), though in others there may be a need for further investigation such as blood tests, scans (CT or MRI) and electrical tests which measure peripheral nerve and muscle function. Patients are followed up either to clarify the diagnosis or alternatively to manage longer term problems.

Examples of conditions which require long term follow-up are epilepsy, multiple sclerosis and Parkinson’s disease.

The process of diagnosis is becoming ever more sophisticated with improved imaging and other types of tests including genetic testing. Available treatments are broadening too with improvements in existing therapy as well as new treatments such as those to modify the disease in multiple sclerosis.

Over 5,000 neurological diseases have been identified.
    nice
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    nice
    I think any medical (internal medicine) specialty would be good, but if you are looking as a "detective" figuring out what the diagnosis is, our specialty is probably one of the top in your list.

Dermatology is also one, :cry: that @nottie didn't mention neurology in her list...

ReputationRep:
    ecolier I have heard in neuro, often it is hard to come to a conclusion though on what the problem is.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    ecolier I have heard in neuro, often it is hard to come to a conclusion though on what the problem is.
    Not really, we always strive to come to a conclusion. There are puzzles (which I thought is what you are looking for anyway?) but then they only make you more interested in the specialty!

ReputationRep:
    Not really, we always strive to come to a conclusion. There are puzzles (which I thought is what you are looking for anyway?) but then they only make you more interested in the specialty!
    nice, yeah. i want to do the detective work.

ReputationRep:
    I think any medical (internal medicine) specialty would be good, but if you are looking as a "detective" figuring out what the diagnosis is, our specialty is probably one of the top in your list.

Dermatology is also one, :cry: that @nottie didn't mention neurology in her list...
    part of me is crying inside for you too

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 25, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.