Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi all, i was recently invited to Oxford University to take part in a programme and while being there realised i’d really like to go there but thought i would never get the chance because of my GCSE grades. But then i got talking to admissions staff there and they informed me about extenuating circumstances. I achieved 7B’s and 5 C’s at GCSE but was predicted A’s and A*’s but failed to achieve these due to being hospitalised many times with anaemia and sinus tachycardia which had a huge impact on my schoolwork at the time. However, with that in mind, i am keen to study History at Oxford and am predicted AAAA (History, religious studies, chemistry) at a level including the Welsh Baccalaureate. With this in mind how likely do you think it is that i will be made an offer? Thank you
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Georgialouise55)
    Hi all, i was recently invited to Oxford University to take part in a programme and while being there realised i’d really like to go there but thought i would never get the chance because of my GCSE grades. But then i got talking to admissions staff there and they informed me about extenuating circumstances. I achieved 7B’s and 5 C’s at GCSE but was predicted A’s and A*’s but failed to achieve these due to being hospitalised many times with anaemia and sinus tachycardia which had a huge impact on my schoolwork at the time. However, with that in mind, i am keen to study History at Oxford and am predicted AAAA (History, religious studies, chemistry) at a level including the Welsh Baccalaureate. With this in mind how likely do you think it is that i will be made an offer? Thank you
    Looking at a recent Freedom of Info request (the request by Chen, here), it appears that very few, if any, people apply for History without any As at GCSE. But that doesn't mean that you couldn't get in. I imagine that the ATs you spoke to are in a better position to tell you than we are, so if I were you, I'd send an email to one of the ATs you spoke with to get some direction. In any case, as you know, you will have to make sure that your extenuating circumstances are clearly highlighted by your academic referee, and you will need to excel in the HAT. Another option might be to apply (or reapply) post A-level.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of Oxford
    All undergraduate colleges and departments Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Sep '18
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.