Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey! I got an offer from St Andrews but I’d like to know some things about living there before taking a decision 😅 Could a girl please take a few minutes to message me? It would really be helpful, thanks!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Hey, what sort of things do you need to know?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by la_banane_verte)
    Hi, I’d like to know if it’s safe, how expensive it is compared to other cities, if there are museums, concerts that kind of things, what kind of work one can get as a student and the best means of transport to get around the city, thanks a lot ☺️

ReputationRep:
    I’d also like to know what is the best way to get from London to St Andrews please?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Rits21)
    Hi, I’d like to know if it’s safe, how expensive it is compared to other cities, if there are museums, concerts that kind of things, what kind of work one can get as a student and the best means of transport to get around the city, thanks a lot ☺️
    It's definitely very safe, it's a small town and doesn't really have any "bad" areas. There's very little crime compared to other places.

It is relatively expensive though, finding cheap rent is difficult. There are cheap supermarkets (Aldi, Morrisons) and there are expensive ones (Tesco, Sainsburys, M&S). I would say going out can be quite reasonably priced - there's a lot of predrinks, and if you go to the right pubs/bars prices are quite low. RBS did a survey a year ago on student living costs that you might find useful https://personal.rbs.co.uk/personal/...ing-index.html.

In terms of museums, we have MUSA (https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/musa/), the British Golf Museum, St Andrews Museum, the Preservation Trust Museum, and the Bell Pettigrew. Dundee is not far away (20 mins bus), and has the new V&A design museum, Science centre, the Discovery. There's also Edinburgh about an hour and a half away on public transport which has a whole host of museums as well.

We have the Byre Theatre, the music centre and the union which host various types of concerts, plays, etc, although if you want to see big name bands and so on you generally will have to travel to Glasgow (sometimes Aberdeen) for that, though we sometimes get decent acts for freshers week/grad ball depending on who the sabbatical arranging it is.

There's loads of part time jobs in town, we have lots of restaturants and bars who always take on staff, there's also plenty of part time jobs in the shops around here (we have a nice mix of chain stores and little independent shops). We also have loads of hotels, so you can get work there too, and there's also opportunities to work for the university.

Best way to get around St Andrews is either on foot or by bike, I would advise 100% against trying to bring a car here. However, if yo do ever need a car, we have e-car club which has several cars around town that you can rent by the hour (or day if you need it longer), and they do good deals for students (and don't have silly age restrictions like other rental places).

Travelling London to St A, I personally prefer the Kings Cross train to Leuchars (sometimes you have to change at Edinburgh, sometimes it's direct), and then the bus from Leuchars to St A. You can of course fly from one of the London airports to Edinburgh, and then you have the option of either the bus to St A (change at Ferry Toll), or the tram to one of the Edinburgh railway stations and then the train to Leuchars. I prefer the train as you can sit and get some work done, or watch a film, or enjoy the scenery, and you don't have to deal with the hassle of airports and security etc.

ReputationRep:
    It's definitely very safe, it's a small town and doesn't really have any "bad" areas. There's very little crime compared to other places.

It is relatively expensive though, finding cheap rent is difficult. There are cheap supermarkets (Aldi, Morrisons) and there are expensive ones (Tesco, Sainsburys, M&S). I would say going out can be quite reasonably priced - there's a lot of predrinks, and if you go to the right pubs/bars prices are quite low. RBS did a survey a year ago on student living costs that you might find useful https://personal.rbs.co.uk/personal/...ing-index.html.

In terms of museums, we have MUSA (https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/musa/), the British Golf Museum, St Andrews Museum, the Preservation Trust Museum, and the Bell Pettigrew. Dundee is not far away (20 mins bus), and has the new V&A design museum, Science centre, the Discovery. There's also Edinburgh about an hour and a half away on public transport which has a whole host of museums as well.

We have the Byre Theatre, the music centre and the union which host various types of concerts, plays, etc, although if you want to see big name bands and so on you generally will have to travel to Glasgow (sometimes Aberdeen) for that, though we sometimes get decent acts for freshers week/grad ball depending on who the sabbatical arranging it is.

There's loads of part time jobs in town, we have lots of restaturants and bars who always take on staff, there's also plenty of part time jobs in the shops around here (we have a nice mix of chain stores and little independent shops). We also have loads of hotels, so you can get work there too, and there's also opportunities to work for the university.

Best way to get around St Andrews is either on foot or by bike, I would advise 100% against trying to bring a car here. However, if yo do ever need a car, we have e-car club which has several cars around town that you can rent by the hour (or day if you need it longer), and they do good deals for students (and don't have silly age restrictions like other rental places).

Travelling London to St A, I personally prefer the Kings Cross train to Leuchars (sometimes you have to change at Edinburgh, sometimes it's direct), and then the bus from Leuchars to St A. You can of course fly from one of the London airports to Edinburgh, and then you have the option of either the bus to St A (change at Ferry Toll), or the tram to one of the Edinburgh railway stations and then the train to Leuchars. I prefer the train as you can sit and get some work done, or watch a film, or enjoy the scenery, and you don't have to deal with the hassle of airports and security etc.
    Alright thank you so much ☺️

ReputationRep:

Btw, would you happen to know if the St Andrews international foundation program for medicine is any good?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Rits21)
    Btw, would you happen to know if the St Andrews international foundation program for medicine is any good?
    I don't know much about the foundation programmes, but I have heard from people that students on the foundation courses really love the department that runs them and the staff are awesome.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm booked on an open day in April, before I apply later this year.

What's the atmosphere like in the University, in general and between staff and students?

Do you know anyone who dislikes it and why?

Thanks very much

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.