Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    Has anyone been able to enter a university without English Language GCSE grade C or above? And which university is it?
    • Very Important Poster

    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Edaa08)
    Has anyone been able to enter a university without English Language GCSE grade C or above? And which university is it?
    Are you a UK student or international. Any university will state its minimum English requirements and for UK student that usually involves GCSE, but may include other qualifications.



    In certain cases they have discretion. It would be worrying if your choice of uni was based on them merely not requiring GCSE English. I doubt there are many.

    At a push they may accept functional skills English level 2.

    Presumably you have good reasons about why you dont have it. For courses taught in English then GCSE is a bit fundamental.

    Most universities insist on having at least a Grade C or the equivalent (Grade 5) at GCSE.

University open days

  1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Study tools


Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.


Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.


Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.


Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.