Piano Lesson Help. Watch

SofiaTW
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hello everyone,
I want to buy a book to become better at playing the piano, but I don't know what to get. I've done piano lessons for 2 years so I know the basics. Can anyone help?
Thanks
TheDevil
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
try getting ABRSM books or other exam books and Alfred's basic adult piano book. Just get the books that meet your playing level.
SofiaTW
Rep:
?
(Original post by TheDevil)
try getting ABRSM books or other exam books and Alfred's basic adult piano book. Just get the books that meet your playing level.
I tried Alfreds but it wasn't very helpful
Toastiekid
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
the up-grade books or really easy jazzing about are quite nice
Tagging nyxnko_ cause they know piano stuff too
Bobeth
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Try the Suzuki method - it was created by Suzuki to make people realise music is just like another language. It's really fantastic - many internationally renowned musicians learnt their instruments on this method. I started the violin at 3 on it and it's really served me well! Don't worry - it starts at a really approachable level!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzuki_method
TheDevil
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You could also get enjoyable music books, there are a few bits on youtube what is ok. Few channels Sheet Music Boss, The Online Piano and Violin Tutor. What level/grade is your piano playing? What kind of music are you into?
SofiaTW
Rep:
?
You could also get enjoyable music books, there are a few bits on youtube what is ok. Few channels Sheet Music Boss, The Online Piano and Violin Tutor. What level/grade is your piano playing? What kind of music are you into?
I don't mind whether they are enjoyable or not. I'm a grade 3 and anything really
SofiaTW
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bobeth)
Try the Suzuki method - it was created by Suzuki to make people realise music is just like another language. It's really fantastic - many internationally renowned musicians learnt their instruments on this method. I started the violin at 3 on it and it's really served me well! Don't worry - it starts at a really approachable level!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzuki_method
Thanks!
SofiaTW
Rep:
?
(Original post by Toastiekid)
the up-grade books or really easy jazzing about are quite nice
Tagging nyxnko_ cause they know piano stuff too
Thanks!
TheDevil
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
There is also "pianoTV" on youtube and is one of the most useful piano channels on youtube, she also has advise on books, videos about composers. Her channel has helped me a lot since i am self-taught and dont have much books for piano yet.
SofiaTW
Rep:
?
There is also "pianoTV" on youtube and is one of the most useful piano channels on youtube, she also has advise on books, videos about composers. Her channel has helped me a lot since i am self-taught.
I'll definitely consider it. Thanks a lot!
nyxnko_
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
honestly, it depends on whether you want to actually improve in terms of technique or if you just want to be able to play certain songs to a decent level. If it's the former, I suggest Hanon and Czerny. It's a bit boring but it really does help you quite a bit. There are also quite a few exercises that you can get off YouTube, etc. which can help you improve your technique as well. If it's the latter, I suggest just learning the piece and then practising it
Hope it helps
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (364)
67.03%
No (179)
32.97%

Watched Threads