Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey peeps!

Long story short, I had a power cut during windows update and possibly a bios update

Got no signal goin to monitor, the cpu debug led is on, I have ordered a cmos jumper cuz I read a bit about that, have tried the screw driver trick but no luck aha.

Going to borrow my brother cpu see if that works and try my cpu in his computer to try narrow it down a bit but other than I’m out of ideas.

Any suggestions?

Windows 10 64bit
    Msi b250 gaming pro carbon
    I5 7500
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    We're jumping a bit ahead with no signal going to your monitor if you had a power cut in the middle of Windows updates. Does the computer boot normally? Are you only trying this monitor in your GPU, what happens with the monitor plugged into the motherboard display output? Have you tried the monitor, cable and GPU in other machines to check if they're working?

No signal going to your monitor doesn't really tell us anything, nor is it any reason to think there are problems with your CPU.

ReputationRep:
    I’v tried the monitor in both the gpu and the motherboard nothing happened.
    When I power on fans boot up and leds come on that’s it, no lights in top of case or no lights on keyboard or anything else. Haven’t been able to test the gpu in another system nor the monitor although they worked before this happened, I will have another system to test with tomorrow
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Podgeeee12)
    I’v tried the monitor in both the gpu and the motherboard nothing happened.
    When I power on fans boot up and leds come on that’s it, no lights in top of case or no lights on keyboard or anything else. Haven’t been able to test the gpu in another system nor the monitor although they worked before this happened, I will have another system to test with tomorrow
    That's somewhat odd. You could in theory take everything out of the system besides the PSU and Motherboard, connect it up to a display and it'd still output "something", so I wouldn't expect anything like CPU or RAM to be an issue.

It sounds dumb but have you checked what your monitor is set to for input, using the on screen menu? If you've had a power cut, it could have caused your monitor to default to a different input.

If the monitor turns on but doesn't display anything and it can be confirmed that it isn't damaged then I'd assume it's a motherboard problem. Power supply could have snuffed it but then you'd be less likely to get fans spinning up, LEDs, etc. although I wouldn't rule out PSU damage.

If you take everything out of your system besides the motherboard and PSU, check the monitor in any other device and confirm it's getting the correct input and still don't get any output of any sort then my gut feeling is a motherboard problem. But it's pretty difficult to test for beyond taking things out and systematically eliminating problems.

ReputationRep:
    Okay cool thanks for the help, i’v checked on the monitor menu and it was on the right settings, i’v also tried the living room tv as utd game was too boring 😂 but still nothing, thanks for the help anyway! Like I said I’ll have another computer here tomoz so I can start to eliminate problems and narrow it down a bit but I’ll let you know what the problem was if I find out!

ReputationRep:
    If the power was cut during a BIOS update then the chances are, unless your motherboard is one of the Dual BIOS ones, that you've bricked the motherboard.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i’v tested my stuff with other working stuff and have narrow it down to the motherboard, lucky I should be able to get a free replacement

Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.