Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have 2 tutors - 1 for Computing and 1 for English.

My Computing tutor is great. We work through questions together, he teaches some things, we have a good laugh and it is a 1 hour session, which maximizes my productivity. I highly rate him.

My English tutor is beginning to really get on my nerve. She is often late (I am writing this as I am waiting for her), she just makes me do UAE or Scottish Texts questions every week. No imagination in the sessions, nor actually any plans. She made it a 2 hour session meaning I often lose focus after an hour, and doesn't seem to care. Even the day after I buried my grandmother (she passed away on my 16th birthday), I still had to do a 2 hour session, and she didn't consider stopping for the day. She is also constantly on her cellphone during the session. I also asked for help with different things and was declined.
    I have learned some things, but having had her for 6 months, I am now fed up. Are my points reasonable or am I sounding like a complainer?
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Joe2001)
    I have 2 tutors - 1 for Computing and 1 for English.

My Computing tutor is great. We work through questions together, he teaches some things, we have a good laugh and it is a 1 hour session, which maximizes my productivity. I highly rate him.

My English tutor is beginning to really get on my nerve. She is often late (I am writing this as I am waiting for her), she just makes me do UAE or Scottish Texts questions every week. No imagination in the sessions, nor actually any plans. She made it a 2 hour session meaning I often lose focus after an hour, and doesn't seem to care. Even the day after I buried my grandmother (she passed away on my 16th birthday), I still had to do a 2 hour session, and she didn't consider stopping for the day. She is also constantly on her cellphone during the session. I also asked for help with different things and was declined.
    I have learned some things, but having had her for 6 months, I am now fed up. Are my points reasonable or am I sounding like a complainer?
    If you are paying for the tutor, then get a new one.

If you arent then, talk to the tutor and if that doesnt work then look into getting a replacement. The beginning points abut her style of teaching and not helping or listening sound valid. The one about your grandmother doesnt. You could have cancelled?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    If you are paying for the tutor, then get a new one.

If you arent then, talk to the tutor and if that doesnt work then look into getting a replacement. The beginning points abut her style of teaching and not helping or listening sound valid. The one about your grandmother doesnt. You could have cancelled?
    My mother organizes and pays it. I didn't want to do any work that day (hopefully you can understand), so I'm not sure why no one decided to cancel. But, surely if she saw that I wasn't with it that day, she could have suggested leaving it for the day, as I wasn't learning anything, and just looking at the clock for 2 hours.

I just don't feel that her style is working. I can't work well for 2 hours without a break, and certainly not doing the same thing every single week. I dread the session each week, as I get no enjoyment out of it whatsoever.
    Problem is that my parents seem to like her, and want to use her for my sister's N5 next year. My sister can be tough to work with, and they already don't really like each other, so I think that they should not keep her on. It's not at my discretion though, unfortunately.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    My mother organizes and pays it. I didn't want to do any work that day (hopefully you can understand), so I'm not sure why no one decided to cancel. But, surely if she saw that I wasn't with it that day, she could have suggested leaving it for the day, as I wasn't learning anything, and just looking at the clock for 2 hours.

I just don't feel that her style is working. I can't work well for 2 hours without a break, and certainly not doing the same thing every single week. I dread the session each week, as I get no enjoyment out of it whatsoever.
    Problem is that my parents seem to like her, and want to use her for my sister's N5 next year. My sister can be tough to work with, and they already don't really like each other, so I think that they should not keep her on. It's not at my discretion though, unfortunately.
    Because she doesnt get paid. If your um had given her the money am sure shed have been happy to leave. You should have cancelled with notice. Talk to your mum. the proof should be in the results.

I wouldnt pay for that and would be annoyed if she was in her phone all the time.

The fact you are paying changes things. Just tell your mum youd like a different tutor.

ReputationRep:
    You're not a complainer. The way I see it she's just useless if she lacks that much of a drive to help you learn then you gotta off her she needs to go stop paying her and find a new one. Hope it goes well. Aight........

ReputationRep:
    Because she doesnt get paid. If your um had given her the money am sure shed have been happy to leave. You should have cancelled with notice. Talk to your mum. the proof should be in the results.

I wouldnt pay for that and would be annoyed if she was in her phone all the time.

The fact you are paying changes things. Just tell your mum youd like a different tutor.
    Either on her phone or marking work for her own pupils at school. Today, she showed me a shambolic Personal Essay by one of her pupils (about 250 words in length). I made a joke out of it, but a bit unprofessional on her behalf.

Surely there must be another way to revise Higher English than 8 months of Past Papers? I got frustrated last week with a RUAE question, and she left me to dwell on it for 30 minutes as "she won't be there in the exam." Isn't that what she is paid for? :unimpressed:

I never enjoyed her sessions after she increased them to 2 hours, but since getting a tutor for Computing a month ago, and really liking him, it has highlighted how I really don't like her sessions.

ReputationRep:
    I also find 999tiggers advice to be pretty much legit. I got a personal math tutor and he's cool.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Either on her phone or marking work for her own pupils at school. Today, she showed me a shambolic Personal Essay by one of her pupils (about 250 words in length). I made a joke out of it, but a bit unprofessional on her behalf.

Surely there must be another way to revise Higher English than 8 months of Past Papers? I got frustrated last week with a RUAE question, and she left me to dwell on it for 30 minutes as "she won't be there in the exam." Isn't that what she is paid for? :unimpressed:

I never enjoyed her sessions after she increased them to 2 hours, but since getting a tutor for Computing a month ago, and really liking him, it has highlighted how I really don't like her sessions.
    Past papers are an essential tool for revising.

As you are paying then the service she needs to provide should be effective.

I would say as you arent getting on, then even at your age you know if things are going in.

Talk to your mother and suggest you look for a new one.

I would use Mr Bruff and get an tutor in at then end. Where I think she is invaluable is going over your previous answers and marking them. telling you what you missed.

You can teach yourself English and then the lessons would be her feedback. Going through exams there and then might be a bit time consuming and not the most effective way of learning.

ps I would find if someone im paying is using their phone other than for the odd incoming phone call, then if its not on. As far as possible she should be focused on you, hence the pre pre by you and her.

ReputationRep:
    Past papers are an essential tool for revising.

As you are paying then the service she needs to provide should be effective.

I would say as you arent getting on, then even at your age you know if things are going in.

Talk to your mother and suggest you look for a new one.

I would use Mr Bruff and get an tutor in at then end. Where I think she is invaluable is going over your previous answers and marking them. telling you what you missed.

You can teach yourself English and then the lessons would be her feedback. Going through exams there and then might be a bit time consuming and not the most effective way of learning.

ps I would find if someone im paying is using their phone other than for the odd incoming phone call, then if its not on. As far as possible she should be focused on you, hence the pre pre by you and her.
    I know that PP's are essential, but they are really the only thing that we have done. It got stale months ago, and she doesn't seem to really plan any other ideas. English should be about creativity. Flat out declining help isn't good enough, especially given that she is paid.

Timekeeping is an issue. 20 minutes late today, has been late multiple times before. I'm not a person who tolerates consistent latecoming from anyone, so that gets on my nerve as well.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    I know that PP's are essential, but they are really the only thing that we have done. It got stale months ago, and she doesn't seem to really plan any other ideas. English should be about creativity. Flat out declining help isn't good enough, especially given that she is paid.

Timekeeping is an issue. 20 minutes late today, has been late multiple times before. I'm not a person who tolerates consistent latecoming from anyone, so that gets on my nerve as well.
    Talk to your mum. i've given you my impression and advice.

ps as long as you get the 2hrs, then I wouldnt make such a big deal of 20 mins, especially if its at your home.

ReputationRep:
    Talk to your mum. i've given you my impression and advice.

ps as long as you get the 2hrs, then I wouldnt make such a big deal of 20 mins, especially if its at your home.
    20 minutes is still a waste of my time though, and she occasionally changes the times to suit herself. Anyway, enough about her, I think it is clear that she isn't the right tutor for me, and my parents should have thought twice before employing her. I would like to get someone else to tutor me now, although my parents like her too much and would dismiss my thoughts. She also charges between £60 and £80 for 2 hours. Is that a good price or too expensive?

Thanks for all of your advice, not only on this thread, but across the forum. Always very appreciated!
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    20 minutes is still a waste of my time though, and she occasionally changes the times to suit herself. Anyway, enough about her, I think it is clear that she isn't the right tutor for me, and my parents should have thought twice before employing her. I would like to get someone else to tutor me now, although my parents like her too much and would dismiss my thoughts. She also charges between £60 and £80 for 2 hours. Is that a good price or too expensive?

Thanks for all of your advice, not only on this thread, but across the forum. Always very appreciated!
    Par for the curse. Depends on location and experience id guess.
    Neither you nor your parents would know how well you would get on with her. She may be a good tutor for other students.

Be aware if you are in final year 11, then it might not be so easy to find a replacement as many will be booked up.

ReputationRep:
    For the last 2 weeks, she has changed the times at the last minute to suit herself once again, and that disrupts my day. She's still no better either. Wish my parents would fire her, honestly.

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Applying to university
Uni match

Find your perfect match

Our tool will help you find the perfect uni course for you

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.