Turn on thread page Beta

How long should I revise for 2 academic subjects daily/weekly? watch

ReputationRep:
    I do 2 academic subjects and I’ve been doing 1 hour per subject a day is that enough? If not how much should I be doing?

Thanks and tips or advice would be great

ReputationRep:
    depends.. what subjects are you doing and are you doing a-levels?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by floraaax)
    depends.. what subjects are you doing and are you doing a-levels?
    Yes I’m doing a-level and I’m doing Biology and German.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Anonymal)
    I do 2 academic subjects and I’ve been doing 1 hour per subject a day is that enough? If not how much should I be doing?
    Are you getting the grades you want? If so then you can argue it's enough. If not, then maybe you need to do more. Or maybe you need to revise better instead of for longer. How long is the wrong question because 10 hours of staring at notes is not comparable to 1 hour doing a past paper.

ReputationRep:
    I do Biology (ocr) and german (edexcel) too!

So for biology 1 hour a day is definitely not enough, especially if you want to get a good grade. Have you started making notes? if yes, then start doing exam questions now because you need to be familiar with what the examiners want in an answer and as you may know, for biology, you may not even get the marks if you don't write the exact words as the mark scheme says! i don't know in terms of hours but i make notes after school for the biology lesson that i had that day, then when i finish making notes for that topic, i start doing practice questions. this has been really useful for me so i really recommend doing your revision this way. oh also, i also watch youtube videos if i'm unsure about a topic so i understand it better.

For german, i haven't really started revising but i'd say grammar is the most important part so make sure you revise for that really well- I think i'll probably start revising for german around easter. so for the grammar, you can use quizlet or just memorise it- my teacher gives me grammar sheets that i need to know which are organised in a table which i find really useful because you can just memorise them that way and it's easier. you can also make the tables yourself (eg. a table for adjective endings for definite, indefinite articles etc). Also, i don't know for other exam boards but for edexcel, we have to write an essay in the exam based on a film that we've studied and so i'm gonna write a plan for the possible questions that they could ask and just memorise them (ask your teacher for help when writing these plans).

that's really long but i hope it helped!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by floraaax)
    I do Biology (ocr) and german (edexcel) too!

So for biology 1 hour a day is definitely not enough, especially if you want to get a good grade. Have you started making notes? if yes, then start doing exam questions now because you need to be familiar with what the examiners want in an answer and as you may know, for biology, you may not even get the marks if you don't write the exact words as the mark scheme says! i don't know in terms of hours but i make notes after school for the biology lesson that i had that day, then when i finish making notes for that topic, i start doing practice questions. this has been really useful for me so i really recommend doing your revision this way. oh also, i also watch youtube videos if i'm unsure about a topic so i understand it better.

For german, i haven't really started revising but i'd say grammar is the most important part so make sure you revise for that really well- I think i'll probably start revising for german around easter. so for the grammar, you can use quizlet or just memorise it- my teacher gives me grammar sheets that i need to know which are organised in a table which i find really useful because you can just memorise them that way and it's easier. you can also make the tables yourself (eg. a table for adjective endings for definite, indefinite articles etc). Also, i don't know for other exam boards but for edexcel, we have to write an essay in the exam based on a film that we've studied and so i'm gonna write a plan for the possible questions that they could ask and just memorise them (ask your teacher for help when writing these plans).

that's really long but i hope it helped!

I’m safe with biology I’m at a good place and I got an A/A* in my mocks. It’s more german which is the concern. I’ve made flash cards for biology & make notes throughout the day rewriting them and then answering exam questions. To be honest I only schedule 1 hour of revision per subject but find myself sat doing exam questions or rewriting notes past my revision time, but I’ll be watching something in the background (so I don’t count it in my revision)

Same - we get assessed on a film and a book I find the grammar difficult to grasp at times and still get muddled up over when I should use accusative. But I know the adjective endings it’s just proving difficult applying my knowledge. I use quizlet how much time would you say you spend revising for german? I’ve been getting D’s consistently I need to budge it to a C atleast! How are you finding it?

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.