Turn on thread page Beta

Oxford or UCL? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I've got offers to study medicine at both Oxford and UCL and am generally unsure which one I should firm. I like the curriculums of both unis, the methods of teaching and the areas they are located in.

I would just like to know what past and current Oxford and UCL students think about those unis (the support they gave, the opportunities on offer, the social lives they had there).

ReputationRep:
    What were your GCSE grades?

ReputationRep:
    Its medicine so you'll defo get a job so its not about job oppurtunities. Ucl probs better social life and Oxford has better reputation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by s.m30)
    What were your GCSE grades?
    13 A*s

ReputationRep:
    They're both good universities for medicine.

I'd probs pick Oxford for the prestige and college/traditional atmosphere.

What college is your Oxford offer for?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not too sure, but congratulations!!
    What A-levels did you do btw? And what are your predictions?

ReputationRep:
    Firm Oxford, after being an Oxford pupil you get benefits for life. You say you went to Oxford and people will redo your kitchen for cheaper, or sell you that car for cheaper. Its literally still benefitting my mum and she's in her 50s.

(Original post by Tantalus)
    I've got offers to study medicine at both Oxford and UCL and am generally unsure which one I should firm. I like the curriculums of both unis, the methods of teaching and the areas they are located in.

I would just like to know what past and current Oxford and UCL students think about those unis (the support they gave, the opportunities on offer, the social lives they had there).

ReputationRep:
    Put the one with higher entry requirements as your firm, so if you miss the offer you can go straight to your insurance. Also, on results day, if you change your mind you can call up your firm and ask them to release you to your insurance, so you still have until August to make up your mind anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Petulia)
    Put the one with higher entry requirements as your firm, so if you miss the offer you can go straight to your insurance. Also, on results day, if you change your mind you can call up your firm and ask them to release you to your insurance, so you still have until August to make up your mind anyway.
    Unfortunately, both gave me the same offer to the letter and neither will budge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by haha0901)
    Firm Oxford, after being an Oxford pupil you get benefits for life. You say you went to Oxford and people will redo your kitchen for cheaper, or sell you that car for cheaper. Its literally still benefitting my mum and she's in her 50s.
    Really?

Could you tell me more?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chief Wiggum)
    They're both good universities for medicine.

I'd probs pick Oxford for the prestige and college/traditional atmosphere.

What college is your Oxford offer for?
    Magdalen

ReputationRep:
    Magdalen
    lol that's a great college, take the Oxford offer.

Can't you still change from Oxford to London for clinicals anyway?

ReputationRep:
    Really?

Could you tell me more?
    You got into two of the best unis in the UK for a person-oriented degree and you still can't tell that someone is trolling you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohanGRK)
    You got into two of the best unis in the UK for a person-oriented degree and you still can't tell that someone is trolling you.
    I tend not to think the worst of people from the outset.
    Even people on the internet.

He may have been trolling or he may not have been. Regardless, I do not make accusations like that straight away.

ReputationRep:
    He may have been trolling or he may not have been. Regardless, I do not make accusations like that straight away.
    In what plausible scenario could a one-gemmer who claims that random handymen and dealers will give you a discount based on the university you went to not be trolling?

Don't worry about the accusations - one-gem trolls deserve our mocking and distrust. They've earnt it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohanGRK)
    In what plausible scenario could a one-gemmer who claims that random handymen and dealers will give you a discount based on the university you went to not be trolling?

Don't worry about the accusations - one-gem trolls deserve our mocking and distrust. They've earnt it.
    My goodness... Having more gems than someone else is not the be all and end all. I sincerely think people who frequent the Student Room that often need to get out more.

I had thought that my response to that individual indicated some level of polite skepticism. Clearly, I had thought wrong.

ReputationRep:
    My goodness... Having more gems than someone else is not the be all and end all. I sincerely think people who frequent the Student Room that often need to get out more.

I had thought that my response to that individual indicated some level of polite skepticism. Clearly, I had thought wrong.
    It's not the difference between gems. It's the fact that a one-gemmer is a new account, and new accounts tend to be hideously misinformed, or troll/alt accounts. I do appreciate the irony being told to go out more by a future medic.

Your response indicated a level of gullibility quite above anything I've ever seen in my life. But please, if you think that an outright lie is a relevant factor when choosing a university, continue to indulge this "polite skepticism".

ReputationRep:
    wtf is this lmao

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone on TSR transferred (or known anyone who has transferred) from Oxford to London for clinicals?

How did they find the change? Did they feel like they were behind compared to their other coursemates at their new university?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Has anyone on TSR transferred (or known anyone who has transferred) from Oxford to London for clinicals?

How did they find the change? Did they feel like they were behind compared to their other coursemates at their new university?
    I'm a former student and I know of a few. I think you start a little behind as the London students - although not necessarily having much clinical experience at all, they have at least been through how to examine someone before, whereas you have not - but you rapidly catch up and i did not hear of any academic problems. In fact, i think they tend to do very well.

Its worth remembering the process - when you apply for London you choose staying at Oxford or you choose which London uni you want, and unless you have very bad results you will very likely get into your first choice - most choose UCL or Imperial, but you have the freedom. I think for someone that is clearly interested in London, but not dead-set on London, that's pretty invaluable.

There is a correlation vs causation argument, but Oxford graduates do a lot better in doctor's exams.

Student satisfaction is much higher at Oxford.

Student living is a lot cheaper at Oxford.

London unis tend to keep their medics quite separate, with medics often having separate sports teams to the rest of the uni even. Because of the college system medics are a lot more integrated at Oxford. Could be a positive or negative depending on your view of course.

Tutorial system is another unique aspect. UCL does more lectures i think though, if that's your thing.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 25, 2018
Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.