Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by khookie)
    I got 200/200 UMS in my AS Biology and the majority of my revision time was dedicated to making notes, it worked very well for me. Different revision techniques suit different people
    i'm very pleased for you. but you'll hear people at uni say they no longer have time anymore to make notes on everything. efficiency is best

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Traore)
    ... I took an empty exercise book and started creating "my own revision guide" of condensed notes for each topic.

I got to proteins, filled the page with notes and then filled the next page about enzymes...

.. but I forgot to write about a-helix and B-pleated sheet!

Now there's no room to add it in and I don't know what to do
    Add post stick with missing info.

ReputationRep:
    Throw the whole exercise book away. It's cancelled

ReputationRep:
    Omds alpha helices and beta pleated sheets are legit 1 line in the textbook (maybe 2 if you wanna draw them) Just put a post-it on top or something lmao
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by CollectiveSoul)
    if it does, then very slowly as it takes a long time to write, but then if youre busy writing you're not paying 100% attention anyway.

the way you get the information into your head is by almighty repetition. i read my class notes/textbook over and over and over and over again.

at first it would take me hours to take it all in: reading through my whole textbook could take 2 weeks. but then after the 10th time i'd be able to re-read the textbook in a matter of hours. i remember re-reading one chapter in 3 minutes because i'd read it so many times.

and then i smashed my exams and it felt great to get all 5 of my university choices
    And lots of people would tell you that just reading a textbook does nothing. Revision isn't just about memorising a textbook, therefore other people will revise in other ways.

I also got into all 5 of my choices and am now at my first choice uni and I never read a textbook how you're describing. Please don't dictate to people that they're wrong for using a method that didn't work for you.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrawTheLine)
    And lots of people would tell you that just reading a textbook does nothing. Revision isn't just about memorising a textbook, therefore other people will revise in other ways.

I also got into all 5 of my choices and am now at my first choice uni and I never read a textbook how you're describing. Please don't dictate to people that they're wrong for using a method that didn't work for you.
    i am afraid biology revision is just about memorising a textbook, although my excellent teacher made us go further. biology is simply just memorisation (for the most part). chemistry, physics and maths are different and require more problem solving skills.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by CollectiveSoul)
    i am afraid biology revision is just about memorising a textbook, although my excellent teacher made us go further. biology is simply just memorisation (for the most part). chemistry, physics and maths are different and require more problem solving skills.
    A person could not have passed the A-Level exams I did last year by memorising the textbook. You need to know so much more information than the textbook gives you. Relying solely on the textbook would have been exam suicide.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrawTheLine)
    A person could not have passed the A-Level exams I did last year by memorising the textbook. You need to know so much more information than the textbook gives you. Relying solely on the textbook would have been exam suicide.
    indeed, hence why i originally kept it as 'class notes/textbook'

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 25, 2018
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.