Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, this is my first time here and I do have a general worry (Hope here I could find someone experienced in working as a model at least once) - So I received this offer and I am not sure if it is genuine - what are the key points that would define a scam here? That is the offer: "We are happy to inform you that the photo shoot for ***********is due before the Middle of ********* 2018, the actual shoot date communicated to you in due course. The amount payable for this advert job is 30,000 GBP, since you are not registered with us before this project, you are entitled to 35% ( 10,500 GBP) of the total contract amount. You will receive your payment in two separate instalments. The first payment will be made to you by the financier for 6,700 GBP. You will keep 1,340 GBP being 20% of the first installment payment for yourself, as your part payment before the shoot, the balance will be for the Studio fees, your wardrobes and costumes, make up and "Sign up fee" with us, in case we have future jobs for you. A contract will be prepared and signed on the final day of shoot. The second installment payment of (9,160 GBP being your balance salary) will be paid to you in cash or be transferred to your bank immediately after the shoot to make your total pay equal to (10,500 GBP) at the end of the shoot as promised. For you being on our database, you will receive all benefits given to our members, these include; an opportunity to be scouted by most of the top agencies in the world from one place. It’s just that simple. We back up this claim by giving the potential model the opportunity to see which agencies/companies express an interest in them. * Your portfolio is added to our agency database for 1 year.. * Agencies routinely search the database to find new faces. * Agencies have access to your portfolio at anytime and can email it to clients. * Agencies can find you by location, age, height, eye colour, bust & more. * Agencies can add your portfolio to their personal call back list. * Agencies can add your portfolio to a global call back list (used by all the agencies). Portfolio membership. Let us know if you are okay with this payment plan, so that we can move on with other shoot arrangements. We look forward to hearing and working with you soon. " Do you reckon it is the type of a scam the so-called "modelling agencies" do - I mean there is no cost apparently from me there (at least not mentioned yet...)
    I would really appreciate your help on that as I consider my safety first and of course prevention of losing any money. Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    Why would anyone pay an unknown model £30,000?

You will show up for 'registration' and they will start requiring up-front fees for various things like payment processing, administration, registration on database etc etc etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    Why would anyone pay an unknown model £30,000?

You will show up for 'registration' and they will start requiring up-front fees for various things like payment processing, administration, registration on database etc etc etc.
    Yeah, that is the thing that the job is 30,000 but without previous registration they would pay 10.500 only of it but again - they stated there is no cost or anything from me, but in the message above they mention Studio fees, outfit (?) which models have to pay for their outfit changes? ) For me it just sounded so strange, and I know the examples of agencies scamming with portfolios, so I figured out that it may be the new way of "attaracting" inexperienced models/people..

ReputationRep:
    Nope... no company would pay an inexperienced model over £1000 let alone £10,000.... VERY FISHY I WOULDNT FOLLOW UP ON THIS.
    a) how did they contact you?
    b) had you contacted them previously?
    c) how did they know you wanted to be a model?
    d) what does their website look like?
    e) genuine reviews? (Not ones from their website)
    I would just put this straight into my spam box
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scarlettcake)
    Nope... no company would pay an inexperienced model over £1000 let alone £10,000.... VERY FISHY I WOULDNT FOLLOW UP ON THIS.
    a) how did they contact you?
    b) had you contacted them previously?
    c) how did they know you wanted to be a model?
    d) what does their website look like?
    e) genuine reviews? (Not ones from their website)
    I would just put this straight into my spam box

I exchanged a few e-mails with them now. They contacted me through ModelMayhem, and it is OneModels Agency so I bet it is a new way of scamming people .. I have never contacted them before- just got the offer as apparently "I matched the requirements" They messaged me things like they have been 17 years in the market (which I cant find any records of) a part from their own website. Also, they ask me for all the details including my bank account even if I have not signed anything yet...

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.