honeybee1
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I study Biology, chemistry & French a levels and I am about to start the epq. At uni I want to study something related to biology so I would like my epq to be biology based, however I have no idea what to do it on! Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks
lilGem
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by honeybee1)
I study Biology, chemistry & French a levels and I am about to start the epq. At uni I want to study something related to biology so I would like my epq to be biology based, however I have no idea what to do it on! Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks
What areas of biology interest you- that would be a good starting point
floraaax
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
hmm.. maybe something on stem cells? that would be interesting! eg. maybe something on the ethical issues or how they can be used to treat diseases?
Potato456
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
How stem cells could be use to treat rheumatoid arthritis?
honeybee1
Rep:
?
(Original post by lilGem)
What areas of biology interest you- that would be a good starting point
Research, I think I might do something to do with stem cells, however it's such a broad topic, I just don't know exactly what yet!
I also enjoy biochemistry & disease
honeybee1
Rep:
?
(Original post by floraaax)
hmm.. maybe something on stem cells? that would be interesting! eg. maybe something on the ethical issues or how they can be used to treat diseases?
I have just been researching stem cells & it looks very interesting! I think I might do something on them, probably how they can treat a certain disease? Thanks so much for your help!
honeybee1
Rep:
?
(Original post by Potato456)
How stem cells could be use to treat rheumatoid arthritis?
That's such a good idea! I will have a look now, thanks!
lilGem
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Research, I think I might do something to do with stem cells, however it's such a broad topic, I just don't know exactly what yet!
I also enjoy biochemistry & disease
Stem cells are quite overdone as an EPQ topic- personally.

You could explore something like chemotherapy v immunotherapy in cancer which is a very hot topic at the moment!

Or if you really like the biochemistry side you could look at biofuels or new avenues for anti-biotic resistance such as work at UEA using metabolites from ants to generate new antibiotics

Or using modified infectious agents to try and treat diseases e.g. Zika to treat brain cancer, modified anthrax to target cancer
honeybee1
Rep:
?
Stem cells are quite overdone as an EPQ topic- personally.

You could explore something like chemotherapy v immunotherapy in cancer which is a very hot topic at the moment!

Or if you really like the biochemistry side you could look at biofuels or new avenues for anti-biotic resistance such as work at UEA using metabolites from ants to generate new antibiotics

Or using modified infectious agents to try and treat diseases e.g. Zika to treat brain cancer, modified anthrax to target cancer
Ok, I will have to look into these ideas! Thanks for so much for so many ideas, they sound super interesting! I will let you know how I get on
lilGem
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Ok, I will have to look into these ideas! Thanks for so much for so many ideas, they sound super interesting! I will let you know how I get on
If you need any further guidance let me know

Sorry they are a bit cancer focused- but thats my speciality
honeybee1
Rep:
?
If you need any further guidance let me know

Sorry they are a bit cancer focused- but thats my speciality
I will do thanks so much! & don't worry I find cancer research quite interesting
lilGem
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I will do thanks so much! & don't worry I find cancer research quite interesting
Glad to be of help
Sam_C_
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I am doing my EPQ on CRISPR which is a gene editing technique and I am looking at its use in curing cancer. Also, it turns out that they don’t seem to care too much about the content, they care about the structure and the research more for EPQ.
honeybee1
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sam_C_)
I am doing my EPQ on CRISPR which is a gene editing technique and I am looking at its use in curing cancer. Also, it turns out that they don’t seem to care too much about the content, they care about the structure and the research more for EPQ.
Omg no way! I was going to do mine on CRISPR but I couldn't think of any title ideas/more specific ideas!
How long have you been doing it for & what do you use for your research (internet, books etc)?
Sam_C_
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Omg no way! I was going to do mine on CRISPR but I couldn't think of any title ideas/more specific ideas!
How long have you been doing it for & what do you use for your research (internet, books etc)?
I’ve been doing it for most of this academic year but I have done a large amount s8nce Christmas. I couldn’t find any books so I had to use online info. I have emailed various oncologists and biomedical scientists but had no response from any of them. Because it’s such a newly emerging technique, there is very little info on it, especially when you look specifically about CRISPR to do with non small cell lung cancer. I found a clinical trial done in China and used a report from that. Also, I have found the NCBI (NIH) website useful and factual. It’s all quite a heavy read on there though.
honeybee1
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sam_C_)
I’ve been doing it for most of this academic year but I have done a large amount s8nce Christmas. I couldn’t find any books so I had to use online info. I have emailed various oncologists and biomedical scientists but had no response from any of them. Because it’s such a newly emerging technique, there is very little info on it, especially when you look specifically about CRISPR to do with non small cell lung cancer. I found a clinical trial done in China and used a report from that. Also, I have found the NCBI (NIH) website useful and factual. It’s all quite a heavy read on there though.
Oh right! I wish my sixth form did that, we've only just started it really, we're still choosing our topics
That's such a good idea to email people, it's a shame nobody has replied I couldn't find much info on CRISPR which is why I decided not to do it... I also couldn't really think of a more specific question. Thanks for your help though & good luck!
Sam_C_
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Oh right! I wish my sixth form did that, we've only just started it really, we're still choosing our topics
That's such a good idea to email people, it's a shame nobody has replied I couldn't find much info on CRISPR which is why I decided not to do it... I also couldn't really think of a more specific question. Thanks for your help though & good luck!
Thank you, you too
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (172)
14.61%
I'm not sure (54)
4.59%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (345)
29.31%
I have already dropped out (35)
2.97%
I'm not a current university student (571)
48.51%

Watched Threads