Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I study Biology, chemistry & French a levels and I am about to start the epq. At uni I want to study something related to biology so I would like my epq to be biology based, however I have no idea what to do it on! Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by honeybee1)
    I study Biology, chemistry & French a levels and I am about to start the epq. At uni I want to study something related to biology so I would like my epq to be biology based, however I have no idea what to do it on! Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks
    What areas of biology interest you- that would be a good starting point

ReputationRep:
    hmm.. maybe something on stem cells? that would be interesting! eg. maybe something on the ethical issues or how they can be used to treat diseases?

ReputationRep:
    How stem cells could be use to treat rheumatoid arthritis?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilGem)
    What areas of biology interest you- that would be a good starting point
    Research, I think I might do something to do with stem cells, however it's such a broad topic, I just don't know exactly what yet!
    I also enjoy biochemistry & disease

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by floraaax)
    hmm.. maybe something on stem cells? that would be interesting! eg. maybe something on the ethical issues or how they can be used to treat diseases?
    I have just been researching stem cells & it looks very interesting! I think I might do something on them, probably how they can treat a certain disease? Thanks so much for your help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Potato456)
    How stem cells could be use to treat rheumatoid arthritis?
    That's such a good idea! I will have a look now, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Research, I think I might do something to do with stem cells, however it's such a broad topic, I just don't know exactly what yet!
    I also enjoy biochemistry & disease
    Stem cells are quite overdone as an EPQ topic- personally.

You could explore something like chemotherapy v immunotherapy in cancer which is a very hot topic at the moment!

Or if you really like the biochemistry side you could look at biofuels or new avenues for anti-biotic resistance such as work at UEA using metabolites from ants to generate new antibiotics

Or using modified infectious agents to try and treat diseases e.g. Zika to treat brain cancer, modified anthrax to target cancer

ReputationRep:
    Stem cells are quite overdone as an EPQ topic- personally.

You could explore something like chemotherapy v immunotherapy in cancer which is a very hot topic at the moment!

Or if you really like the biochemistry side you could look at biofuels or new avenues for anti-biotic resistance such as work at UEA using metabolites from ants to generate new antibiotics

Or using modified infectious agents to try and treat diseases e.g. Zika to treat brain cancer, modified anthrax to target cancer
    Ok, I will have to look into these ideas! Thanks for so much for so many ideas, they sound super interesting! I will let you know how I get on

ReputationRep:
    Ok, I will have to look into these ideas! Thanks for so much for so many ideas, they sound super interesting! I will let you know how I get on
    If you need any further guidance let me know

Sorry they are a bit cancer focused- but thats my speciality

ReputationRep:
    If you need any further guidance let me know

Sorry they are a bit cancer focused- but thats my speciality
    I will do thanks so much! & don't worry I find cancer research quite interesting

ReputationRep:
    I will do thanks so much! & don't worry I find cancer research quite interesting
    Glad to be of help

ReputationRep:
    I am doing my EPQ on CRISPR which is a gene editing technique and I am looking at its use in curing cancer. Also, it turns out that they don’t seem to care too much about the content, they care about the structure and the research more for EPQ.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sam_C_)
    I am doing my EPQ on CRISPR which is a gene editing technique and I am looking at its use in curing cancer. Also, it turns out that they don’t seem to care too much about the content, they care about the structure and the research more for EPQ.
    Omg no way! I was going to do mine on CRISPR but I couldn't think of any title ideas/more specific ideas!
    How long have you been doing it for & what do you use for your research (internet, books etc)?

ReputationRep:
    Omg no way! I was going to do mine on CRISPR but I couldn't think of any title ideas/more specific ideas!
    How long have you been doing it for & what do you use for your research (internet, books etc)?
    I’ve been doing it for most of this academic year but I have done a large amount s8nce Christmas. I couldn’t find any books so I had to use online info. I have emailed various oncologists and biomedical scientists but had no response from any of them. Because it’s such a newly emerging technique, there is very little info on it, especially when you look specifically about CRISPR to do with non small cell lung cancer. I found a clinical trial done in China and used a report from that. Also, I have found the NCBI (NIH) website useful and factual. It’s all quite a heavy read on there though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sam_C_)
    I’ve been doing it for most of this academic year but I have done a large amount s8nce Christmas. I couldn’t find any books so I had to use online info. I have emailed various oncologists and biomedical scientists but had no response from any of them. Because it’s such a newly emerging technique, there is very little info on it, especially when you look specifically about CRISPR to do with non small cell lung cancer. I found a clinical trial done in China and used a report from that. Also, I have found the NCBI (NIH) website useful and factual. It’s all quite a heavy read on there though.
    Oh right! I wish my sixth form did that, we've only just started it really, we're still choosing our topics
    That's such a good idea to email people, it's a shame nobody has replied I couldn't find much info on CRISPR which is why I decided not to do it... I also couldn't really think of a more specific question. Thanks for your help though & good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Oh right! I wish my sixth form did that, we've only just started it really, we're still choosing our topics
    That's such a good idea to email people, it's a shame nobody has replied I couldn't find much info on CRISPR which is why I decided not to do it... I also couldn't really think of a more specific question. Thanks for your help though & good luck!
    Thank you, you too

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.